PDA

View Full Version : Motorhome ?'s

quad59
04-15-2010, 08:25 AM
The wife and I are looking into getting a motorhome, class C or class A to use for the races. Our budget does not alow for much and I have been seeing alot of 88 and older ones for my price range. Anybody have words of advice while I shop, stuff to look out for, I really want a big block motor but my new trailer is only a 7x14 do I really need a big block?

aDviSol2y
04-15-2010, 08:29 AM
Make sure you walk on the roof to make sure it hasn't started to rott out. Also check the holding tanks, make sure the brackets are all still in good shape. You really don't want to inherit someone elses problems. One thing to think about, the older they are, the heavier they are. I would buy an Airstream, and a truck to haul it.

F-16Guy
04-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Look closely at the ceiling panels, walls, and inside the cabinets for evidence of water leakage/damage. Look under the chassis for heavy rust, and have the owner operate all of the appliances. It's nice enough out now that they should be able to put some water in the tank and show that everything works and that there are no leaks or problems. Look for leaking engine fluids, and see that it starts easily and runs smoothly. Service records are great to have, but you can usually guess what condition the running gear is in by the way the rest of the vehicle is kept.

If you find one that's clean, runs good, drives good, and doesn't have any obvious major water damage, you're good to go. My advice would be to throw a coat or two of roof sealer on it just to be safe. Keep in mind that a motorhome that old will probably have some small issues, but ideally you want no major water damage, solid running gear, and working appliances. Those are the expensive things. Everything else is cosmetic and relatively cheap and easy to fix.

CJM
04-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Personally speaking I would much rather a travel trailer and a truck than a motorhome.

No worries about the motorhomes problems it can mechanically have like brakes, shocks, transmission, engine etc. Just a good beefy truck to worry about.

Can pick up a used ford diesel for about 5k and the trailer for 3-8k depending on what you want and your good to go.

sunco
04-15-2010, 12:50 PM
I agreed w/ cjm. We do the trailer thing. Sounds like a work n play trailer. Other things to consider. Chances are you truck is in better shape that an 88 model. Next u'll get a newer model trailer. I have a coachman adreniline toyhauler but I also have 4 kids a dog ,not to mention our quads/bikes. I also have a long aluminum flatbed trailer that holds 4 quad & an enclosed 7x14 for work but if i kick a few things off were golden. Don't foget to buy a 10x10 ezup.Insurance is cheaper on the trailer. Plus u can lock it up & go. You probalbly are gonna pull a trailer w/ the class c anyway? We use ours for both vaca & at the track - many sizes to consider if u go that route. Try rvnet.com

Good luck whatever u get. Smaller is better when gettin to the place. Bigger is better once u arrive.
:devil:

F-16Guy
04-15-2010, 01:13 PM
A trailer is great, but in most cases, you can't tow a trailer with all of your toys behind your travel trailer, and toy haulers are ridiculously overpriced for what you get.
A motor home is a little less convenient because you won't have a run-around vehicle, but for most situations, they work fine if you remember to pack everything. When you're on a budget, there's no perfect solution, so you just have to think about the pros and cons of each and see what fits your needs better.
I got my 24' Class C for free from my in-laws, and I'm about $1000 into it with new tires and some other odds and ends. It has a lot of water damage, but the leaks are fixed, the drivetrain is solid, and it does everything we need it to do. Would I like a $30K toy hauler and a deisel? Sure, but what I have now is cheap, functional, and allows us to afford more trips. Another upside is that I don't have to spend my vacation worrying about someone tracking dirt into my high dollar rig. Much less stress, especially with little kids.

IdahoMX
04-15-2010, 07:07 PM
Rv tech here, Like was said above, roof, and such. I would demand new batterys all around as well. Take a meter with you and check for voltage at the converter and at the battery, Looking for around 13.5 plugged in. Run everything, water it up and use it. Dont put blinders on becouse its new to you, Look around for problems before you take it home.88 is old enought that you may or may not be able to get parts for the fridge that goes out or furnace.

quad59
04-16-2010, 05:57 AM
I would get a large trailer but I only have a dodge durango, so I'm not going to buy a trailer and diesel. Much cheaper to get a 4000 dollar motorhome. I have been looking at a few just getting a feel for whats out there. Not entirely sold on the idea, the wife is pushing the issue more than I am. I would rather keep my cash. An RV sounds like a good idea but I just dont think it will get used as much as she is thinking.

smr
04-16-2010, 07:01 AM
I agree with some of the others. Not sure how far your gonna drive an 88 model motor home but expect less than 10 miles to the gallon.

I bought a slide in pop up camper for my truck. It works great. When it is down my truck drives just like it always did. We still pull the same trailer and it's plenty of room for me and the wife.

quad59
04-16-2010, 07:39 AM
Average distance to most tracks is under 90 miles, and that covers about 6 tracks we race at. I just found a pretty nice one, an 88 with a 460 but it does not have a generator and he said he will not take less than 3500. Its in good shape and has 60k original miles. I'm still undecided, I know we will use it for racing and I would hope we would use it for other things as well I just dont know because I have never had one and neither has anybody else in my family. It just stinks driving home 1.5 hrs from a track at 2 a.m (night races) and there are some double weekends we like to hit in the area, as well as winter racing indoors. Its hard tent camping sometimes with a 8,7,5 yr olds.

F-16Guy
04-16-2010, 08:11 AM
If you guys go to that many races, I think you'll really come to love having a motor home. Most of the tracks that I've been to on the West Coast have areas for campers, so it's nice to be on site the whole weekend.

Set-up is really easy, especially if you can find a level place to park. We literally just park, extend the awning, throw out our rug and chairs, and we're ready to camp. Except for food and clothes, all of your camping supplies stay in the motor home, so packing for a trip is simple.

The other thing that is great, especially with kids, is having a place to make and eat lunch, and to get out of the weather and take a break or play games. You just can't get that with tent camping.

If you're on the fence, I'd say just go for it. If you're buying an older motor home, you'll most likely be able to sell it for what you bought it for, so there's really not much risk. I think you'll grow to love the convenience and comfort of a motor home versus tent camping or staying in a hotel.

smr
04-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by quad59
Average distance to most tracks is under 90 miles, and that covers about 6 tracks we race at. I just found a pretty nice one, an 88 with a 460 but it does not have a generator and he said he will not take less than 3500. Its in good shape and has 60k original miles. I'm still undecided, I know we will use it for racing and I would hope we would use it for other things as well I just dont know because I have never had one and neither has anybody else in my family. It just stinks driving home 1.5 hrs from a track at 2 a.m (night races) and there are some double weekends we like to hit in the area, as well as winter racing indoors. Its hard tent camping sometimes with a 8,7,5 yr olds.

If distance isn't a problem then go for it. Like F-16guy said, if you decide to sell it you will most likely get your money back.

good luck

post up some pictures

tri5ron
04-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Having your own fridge, toilet, shower, beds, heater, ac, etc., is second to none.

We only have a little slide in camper on my pickup, and tow the quads on a trailer, but it works well enough for now.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Honda%20trx250ex%20quad/Camper%20and%20toybox/IMG_7352.jpg

You will find your outings much more relaxing and enjoyable, and you can't find a better way to build childhood memories that will last their entire lifetimes.
There's nothing better than a day of riding, then back to camp for some bbq, a campfire, watching the kids overdose on smore's and passing out in their chairs by the campfire.

Happy and comfortable kids = Happy Wife...
Happy Wife = Happy Life !

Especially with you having 3 young kids,I would recommend looking for a class C, with a rear bedroom. This way the munchkins can all share the overhead bunk, you and the wife have a bed, and you don't have to go through the routine of taking down the dinette each evening, and putting it back up every morning.

go for it.
but be ready for your new obsession, haha.
There a 10 times as many mods and accessories for RV's as there are for atv's.

one of the best forums for RVer's is Open Roads Forums at rv.net
here's a link...
http://www.rv.net/forum/

great membership there, that can answer any question you can think of. You will make many new friends, and have and endless amount of knowledge and experienced advise and recommendations.