PDA

View Full Version : Should i get a new cam chain?

Xplorer99
04-14-2010, 11:03 PM
im having trouble deciding if i should get a HD cam chain. iv read alot about having a beefed up 440 its good to have a cam chain that can handle the extra power. a friend of mine said its a PITA to change the timing chains. i looked at the manual and it doesnt look TOO hard... mine still may be fine i dont know. but since the first owner raced with the bike and it was blown up once.......... i got like 2grand in this motor already i dont want to not replace something now and have it fail in the future...

any thoughts?

what brand of chain should it get if i do? just a honda crf450r chain? seen em on ebay for about 50 bucks. other brands where more....

thanks for the opinions

400man
04-15-2010, 12:17 AM
I bought my crf450 timing chain for my 400ex off bike bandit for like 30-40$ or something close to that. I know alot of guys buy em off service honda.

to change out the timing chain you gotta pull the clutch cover and valve cover. if you got 2G's in your motor, then a timing chain is CHEAP insurance

Xplorer99
04-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by 400man
I bought my crf450 timing chain for my 400ex off bike bandit for like 30-40$ or something close to that. I know alot of guys buy em off service honda.

to change out the timing chain you gotta pull the clutch cover and valve cover. if you got 2G's in your motor, then a timing chain is CHEAP insurance

i was told it was a pain to take the clutch out, then a bunch of other stuff... i have the whole top end of the motor off so i would just pull off the side clutch cover... so the honda brand is a good choice then

thanks!

MidnightBlade
04-15-2010, 11:22 AM
you dont have to take the clutch out you just have to take the side case off that gets you to the clutch. and if you want to cheat look up davesfarm on you tube then search xr 250 timing chain and he should have a vid on how to change the chains.

Xplorer99
04-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by MidnightBlade
you dont have to take the clutch out you just have to take the side case off that gets you to the clutch. and if you want to cheat look up davesfarm on you tube then search xr 250 timing chain and he should have a vid on how to change the chains.

im guessing you meant this movie by davidsfarm for an XL250...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQMFq5jGTWw

that doesnt look like a big deal at all. im deffinately going to replace it.

what brand chain is a good one to go with? i want heavy duty lol 02-08 XR450r cam chain, but what brand?

MidnightBlade
04-15-2010, 01:35 PM
yea and he added a new one for a 200 i believe. just search for timing chain then click the seven minute one on his channel

VTredneckgames
04-15-2010, 06:46 PM
definately change the chain while you are that far.

Even if you do have to pull the clutch, it literally took me less than 30 minutes to put the chain on.

Xplorer99
04-16-2010, 12:40 AM
well i just pulled the clutch cover off.... looks like i need to pull the clutch. good time to check out the clutch plates anyway i guess lol. i did notice a bunch of scratches on the side of the cam side of the cylinder wall. that COULD be from the first time when it blew up on the first owner, but i did notice a small scratch on the cam chain.

but anyway i will be replacing it...

this is my first time doing any motor work so i just get a little scared doing something worrying i wont be able to get it back together right, but im sure i have all the help i need here lol

ONE PROBLEM i did have tonight is when i pulled the clutch cover a small spring fell out....where would i put it back at? lol

thanks!

togup
04-16-2010, 08:36 PM
that spring is the clutch disengage spring it goes on the bottom of the engage - disengauge shaft(1\4 rod in the clutch cover that pulls clutch basket in and out)it only works one way

togup
04-16-2010, 08:40 PM
you also have to take the oil pump off

Xplorer99
04-21-2010, 11:13 PM
will this one work? its for a crf 450R

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CRF450R-CRF450X-CRF450-CRF-450-R-X-Cam-Timing-Chain-OEM-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c535ca084QQitemZ19037 7140356QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories