PDA

View Full Version : best front shocks for the $$

headache
04-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Ok guys i'm getting ready to finally get some front shocks for my 87Lt250r. I'm running +2 a-arms and i am an xc rider. I'm willing to spend up to 900 bucks on the best shock possible. What should i get? I'm going to run yfz450 length shocks which are 15.75 long versus stock 15 inch length. Should i just get some stock yfz shocks and have the dual rate springs put on them by GT thunder? how much does that run? I'd like to get as much adjustment as i can. Elkas with piggybacks and compression adjustment run about 900... I'm going to have my stock rear shock redone with a different valving and have it resprung... Lets hear some opinions!!

Munton91
04-16-2010, 09:07 AM
i have a set of custom axis i maybe willing to sell.

nicker71
04-17-2010, 07:35 AM
I think you need to find a shock builder that will build a shock for a quadracer with +2 a-arms. I not sure who offers this for something that old but you could probably check with works suspension. I sure you could get a fully adjustable shock from them. Or try and find a yfz shock that has been converted by gt thunder or someone like and use it. Used shocks that are converted cost around $250-300.

just my.$02

ccdhowell
04-17-2010, 08:39 AM
I had a '90 LT250R that I XC raced. It had +2 arms, I bought some used LTR450 shocks and had them redone. I had to made a top mount for them that caused me to have to trim the plastic to make room for the shocks, but it was worth it, the shocks worked very well.

BTW, have you raced it with the +2 arms? I sure was stable, very wide for the weight, but I always had trouble in the woods, really just too wide.

headache
04-17-2010, 10:14 AM
yeah its a little wide. I'm going to buy some 4-156 bolt circle 4+1 wheelsand redrill the bolt pattern to 4-166 to bring the front end back to about 46" wide. If i can find a good deal on some yfz shocks i might get them and send them out to be redone for this quad.. Works makes some fully adjustable shocks still for the Lt250r.

ccdhowell
04-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Sounds like a good plan. You'll have to cut down the width of the upper mounts on the shocks, they're too wide, but I've seen it done, so no biggie. Do you race in the Arkansas Harescramble Series? Some guys from my series, ATVCCS in east Texas, just started racing up there, fast riders too, Dustin and Clint Yount.

headache
04-17-2010, 05:56 PM
yes i've ran the arkansas series a few times and the Oxc series. I'm planning on running a full season next year in the arkansas series in B+30 class...