PDA

View Full Version : jumping + 230lbs =?????

VTredneckgames
04-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Alright guys. Always wanted to know, so Ive got to ask.

Im 6'5". 230lbs. I have a 04, 400ex. I dont want to have to gusset my frame and I dont want to break stuff. But I do want to do some little jumps.

I think Im afraid of breaking something. But how big of a jump can a stock EX take easily?

Also, while talking about jumping I know the shocks of choice are 450r shocks. However, I have heard people say that for trail riders they make the EX a lot rougher. Is that true or false? Everyone talks about how much better the ride quality is after chaning to 450r shocks. But are those people mostly racing and jumping? How will my tame trail riding be affected?

thanks again guys.

tmccaughin
04-14-2010, 12:52 PM
im about the same weight as you and i mostly ride on a track with 60ft tabeltops and i never had to fix the frame due to it cracking
thinks
tim

tri5ron
04-14-2010, 01:39 PM
being a generally tame trail rider,
and being 6'5" at 230#,
your frame will be fine on small jumps. (2'-4' high).

I seriously doubt that you are going to be trying to get the kind of "Air", that many of the youngsters here do.
(40+' tabletops are WAAaaay deep in the History Books for me)

That's just what we, as trail riders,...(myself included here), are content with.
(read that as,.... That's about all I have the balz for... LOL!)

I'm 6', 185 to 195 in full gear,
(depending on how many Donuts I've had the week before... LOL).
I am 100% trail rider, almost 50 years old, have a little more sense, alot more fear, than in my earlier years,...
(and I don't heal as well anymore either).

I do like to ride fairly fast when conditions permit,...
when I'm feeling "In The Groove",...
and I've got my "Game on".
Yeah, I've taken it farther than I may have expected too, and I do still enjoy a good Adrenalin rush.

I ride mostly desert trails that are full of whoops, rocks, ruts, and obstacles, and some mountain trails that include some fallen branches too.

Chances are, I'm riding mine a little harder than you do on yours, (No offence intended here), and my frame is fine.

With your newly coming steering stabilizer, you will be quite happy, and you will certainly notice a couple of improvements.

First-, that your riding comfort, and resulting greater enjoyment is greatly improved.

Second-, that you will ALSO be able to ride those same familiar trails much faster, and with more control, to BOOT !

(Those are BOTH, Big Plus's, in my book).

Now, Add to that a nice clean pair of 450r front shocks,...
and you'll be kicking yourself in the arse for not doing it sooner.

At 230 lbs, you probably will be able to tune them pretty well on the stock springs!

My guess would be,
Setting them at Full Soft on the preload adjustment,...
At/or near Full Soft on the Compression adjustment,...
and a little less than half way on the Rebound adjustment.

Give that a try, and IF, (which I doubt), it is still too stiff for your liking, then you will want to get a set of aftermarket springs for the stock 450r shock bodies.

The springs can be purchased in single, progressive, dual, and triple rates,...
And will be specific to your riding weight, A-arms length.

If you want to take it a step further than THAT,...
(which I really see No Need for, and have personally chosen to forego),...
then you could also have them re-valved too.
But again, that is really going over the top for a basically Trail Rider like myself,... IMO.

I have a set of '08 450r front shocks,
wearing a set of Works Triple Rates, in the 600/600/215 configuration,
and NO Re-valving,
on a set of OEM Stock 400ex a-arms,
along with the same steering stabilizer that you just ordered.

I've had my quad PINNED in 5th, going thru whoops at 18" to 24" tall, (puck set at full hard), and the bike kept going straight, anywhere I had it pointed.
Was I in "Over my Head ???" - You Bet !
Should I have been doing that at all in the first place ??? - Hell No !
Would I have survived if I'd gotten tossed ??? - Probably NOT !

It was just one of those days where everything seemed to be working right,
The Planets were in proper alignment,
The mood was good,
The quad seemed happy,
and I was just itchin' for a "Rocket Run"

BUT,... Talk about an Adrenalin Rush !!! Damn near pissed my pants when I realized I was in 5th, and looking for a 6th gear, THAT DOSEN"T EXIST !!! LOL!!!

FREAKING AMAZING Difference in Ride Quality, as well as Control-ability.

This all results in a more pleasurefull riding experience, GREATLY Reduced riding fatigue, Significantly reduced "Post Ride-Muscle Stress-Disorder", LOL!
Read that as...
My arse, (or the rest of my old bones), don't hurt as much, or for as long, and that is a GOOD THING !

The stock OEM 400ex shocks are commonly refered to here as "Pogo sticks" for good reason.
I personally,...
wouldn't ever do,...
60+mph whoops,...
.......on a Pogo stick.

But Hey!,
Sometimes ya just got's-'ta make yer own choices !
:D :D :D :D :D :D

hope this helps answer your qustions.

Ride Hard, Ride Safe, and keep the Rubber Side DOWN !

Ron

VTredneckgames
04-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks a million Ron! Thats pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear.

The biggest jump I have ever done, was about a 2' hump. I just punched it in 1st and went sailing over it. I landed with my knees on the seat and my stomach on the bars, lol.

Everything I had read about the 450R shocks talked about revalving. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Brad

MidnightBlade
04-14-2010, 04:39 PM
i personally would get some suzuki or kawasaki front shocks, they make the front sit a little lower and that can be good and bad. my friend said that the honda 450 shocks make it harder to do wheelies, he said the lower the front sits the easier it will pull up and the better it will climb hills. thats good for me lol, i think the need some grining though, never looked into it yet. im still riding the "pogo sticks" and hate them. you hit a jump then have a second jump on the rebound from landing. yea new shocks is definately a plus for jumping, and the frame is good enough. my cuz pushes 200lbs and his 02 ex would take him over more than my 05 ex will take me (i weigh about 100lbs) he had the stock frame and we did 60+ table tops like nothing

RAPER
04-15-2010, 01:03 PM
i'm pushing 280 lbs and i'm hitting big tables and doubles and haven't had an issue or am I even worried about my 400ex frame... Mine is a 99 and it's been beat probally it's whole life and it's been good to my heavy *** for the last 2 yrs.

rcatvrider
04-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Jarred my wrist good yesterday riding, can't wait till I can afford one of those cnc stabilizers. Too bad I need tires first.