PDA

View Full Version : valve adjusting

joeyds450x
04-14-2010, 10:57 AM
can somebody tell me how to adjust the valves... thanks

grannysleeper
04-14-2010, 12:07 PM
If you've never adjusted valves before, save yourself the headache and take it to the dealer to have it done. (I know that's not what you wanted to hear) It's a really involved process on these engines, more dificult than your average 4 stroke, and beyond the scope of what can be described via a forum. If you still insist on doing it, buy the $100+ factory service manual and follow it to the letter. (not sure if the manual is cheaper than having the work done at the dealer however...)

joeyds450x
04-14-2010, 11:01 PM
I would but this POS fourwheeler is a damn money pit! Everyday is something different that goes wrong so I don't have any extra money so I have to do it myself..

fullthrottle247
04-22-2010, 01:51 PM
i understand you completely iv broken the friggen frame about 10 times now and i haven't ridden it hard yet everything comes loose on em. i also wanted to adjust the valves myself and the book says you have to put it on the b.u.d.s sytem to depressureize the fuel system before you even start...this aint a quad no more you pretty much need a degree just to sit on it

450Rida
04-25-2010, 11:19 PM
i agree with granny. its not an easy task if this is your first time, i think the shop wil charge for about 2 hrs labour wich is more than the manual, but you will have to get a shim kit which is pricey.

florentino
04-27-2010, 09:44 AM
doing work on a yamaha 450 or ltr is a walk in the park. soo many things can go wrong on this piece of s@$$^ quad.
the one thing you can so is to remove the plastics the seat and cause they will charge you for every thing.
the one thing you can do is to check only , not replace they may be ok. you have know how to get top dead center and theres timing marks for that. removed the gas tank and the valve cover to inspect the cams. once you have t d c all you have to do is put a feeler gauge under the cams to check clearence. but dont touch any thing else this is so you get the idea. the one thing i recomend is to replace the cam chain .. i have not done it on the ds. but all motors are some how the same. i do the valve jobs for all my friends cause the dealers never get them perfect.
and it takes so skills for the can am. thats why i will never buy a can am again. the japs make there motors to simple because the are smart. i have not had motor problems with mine ds.

florentino
04-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by fullthrottle247
i understand you completely iv broken the friggen frame about 10 times now and i haven't ridden it hard yet everything comes loose on em. i also wanted to adjust the valves myself and the book says you have to put it on the b.u.d.s sytem to depressureize the fuel system before you even start...this aint a quad no more you pretty much need a degree just to sit on it

any pics of that broken frame .. my motor mount broke on one side. i have a crack skid plate also at the shock mount .. and i still race it like that. i am working on a steel frame. cause if i replace the frame it will breack again. i dont care about the extra lbs. i rode the ltr is a tank and but feals real good in the air

joeyds450x
04-27-2010, 10:08 AM
im just going to take it to a dealer.. thell do it for $120

blaster99
04-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by florentino
doing work on a yamaha 450 or ltr is a walk in the park. soo many things can go wrong on this piece of s@$$^ quad.
the one thing you can so is to remove the plastics the seat and cause they will charge you for every thing.
the one thing you can do is to check only , not replace they may be ok. you have know how to get top dead center and theres timing marks for that. removed the gas tank and the valve cover to inspect the cams. once you have t d c all you have to do is put a feeler gauge under the cams to check clearence. but dont touch any thing else this is so you get the idea. the one thing i recomend is to replace the cam chain .. i have not done it on the ds. but all motors are some how the same. i do the valve jobs for all my friends cause the dealers never get them perfect.
and it takes so skills for the can am. thats why i will never buy a can am again. the japs make there motors to simple because the are smart. i have not had motor problems with mine ds.

dude... Please do us all a favor and sell your can-am, so we all don't have to hear you *****ing and saying how much a of a piece of **** your quad is. You give the quad a bad name, just because you have something against it.

blaster99
04-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by florentino

dude... do us all a favor and sell your can-am, so you stop *****ing. If you want a Honda, but a Honda. If you want a Suzuki, buy a Suzuki. Stop bashing the quad and calling them pieces of ****. Just because obviously yours is doesn't mean all of them are. I don't mean to call you out here, but its getting old man.

florentino
04-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by blaster99
dude... do us all a favor and sell your can-am, so you stop *****ing. If you want a Honda, but a Honda. If you want a Suzuki, buy a Suzuki. Stop bashing the quad and calling them pieces of ****. Just because obviously yours is doesn't mean all of them are. I don't mean to call you out here, but its getting old man.

hey i have a honda trx a yfz and a can am. and borrow a ltr from time to time.

i am sure i am not the only one that thinks that way.

i am stuck on that ds i cant get sell it with a broken frame. your ds must be runnig real good. :blah: :blah: :macho

TNT
04-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by fullthrottle247

The book does not say to go to BUDs and depressurize the fuel system lol. Adjusting the valves is just as easy and pricey as our YAM, same stuff shim gaps, etc... I will admit getting the valve cover completely off motor in the DS is not that easy. :D

joeyds450x
04-28-2010, 12:01 PM
i finally just took it in yesterday.. itll get done for 160 and while hes in there hes going to check it everything over..

i have my problems with my can-am too but im not out bashing it... lol i love this thing to death its my baby.. i mean i hate the piece of crap when it dont run but i love it when it does.. its a love hate relationship we got goin haha