PDA

View Full Version : double hauling

CTC B4Z
04-13-2010, 06:31 PM
does this look safe??? I will put more straps down, I just did this to see if it was possible. When I shake either quad, the entire trailer goes along with it, so it is solid...

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll82/CTC_B4Z/400EX/haulin.jpg

Pipeless416
04-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by CTC B4Z
does this look safe???

you'd never catch me doing that, but if you insist, at least put the tie downs around the frame and not the plastic.

edit: on second thought, you're risking other people's lives. find some other way.

honda01400ex
04-13-2010, 07:03 PM
just take a seconmd and think what would happen if a strap broke as you are doing 75pmh down the highway

i agree with pipeless 416

mineralgrey01gt
04-13-2010, 07:06 PM
your nuts for even considering doing it that way. Put one in the back of the truck and one on the trailer. Id never do it that way

CTC B4Z
04-13-2010, 07:06 PM
thats like saying, what if the tongue of the trailer broke off... You can what if all day, wont get you no where... There will be about 6 straps total

mineralgrey01gt
04-13-2010, 07:09 PM
i still wouldnt do it but your arguing with us about it so your going to do it anyways. Have fun and hope you dont have one hell of a lawsuit on your hands when one falls off

CTC B4Z
04-13-2010, 07:19 PM
by looking at the gap at the 400's fenders to wheels, compared to the shee's, I think I might try to have the shee on her rears as is in picture, but lay the 400 down on all 4's... I had tried this with the 400 on the rears, agains the front, and shee on all fours, but gate would close by a few inches.... i might get away with shee in the air on the rears and 400 on 4's.... actually, as is how they are pictured, I can let the 400's rear tires against the front of the trailer, the front tires should rest on the shee's rears just fine... strap em down n go

JOHNDOE83
04-13-2010, 07:30 PM
I would never, ever, do that.

I had a friend, he tryd to get me to do stuff like that to, Its REALLY NOT a good idea.

They dont even look secured in the pic, do as you want, but that will eventually fail.

try putting one over the front bar of the traile,r with the other quads front end on top of the others rear and strap them both together.

Scro
04-13-2010, 07:31 PM
I would sit them side by side, and let the front wheels hang over before I did that. It would be safer, plus you wouldn't look like a goon going down the road.

CTC B4Z
04-13-2010, 07:33 PM
I actually hauled both my Blasters exactly like this over 1600 miles, that was with cheapo straps that dont even ratchet... but yea I though about putting the 400's front tires over the front, shee's pipes would hit... Side by side was a though, but I measured and they wont fit

JOHNDOE83
04-13-2010, 07:39 PM
I know how you feel...lol.

I only have a 4x6 trailer....barley fits my one 400ex.

for me and my girl to go riding we have to borrow her dads truck, and hook up my trailer.

I either need a bigger trailer or a damn truck...lol.

for extra safety, I use a chain and padlock to secure everything, I dont even have a rear gate....lol.

Thumpin440ex
04-13-2010, 07:39 PM
I would try to piggy back them.. Take the 400 lay the front wheels up over the rails, strap it down in the ***. Put a rug or something that will protect the seat, fenders down( rug-cardboard-towells-blanket-ect) then strap it down.. That looks a lil unsafe for me...

John

CTC B4Z
04-13-2010, 07:44 PM
yea im gunna try to piggyback em next.

storms400ex
04-13-2010, 08:09 PM
just do it the right way that way no one gets hurt, and your quads dont get damaged when they fall off and hit someone or something, then youll end up with tickets, and more likely have a law suit

slightlybent47
04-13-2010, 08:19 PM
Not safe at all, way to top heavy for a small wheel base trailer like that. It’s time for a bigger trailer.

guenther
04-13-2010, 08:41 PM
This image comes to mind when I see the quads like that.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_3kC7x8v3a0s/SUhm9Aj5CqI/AAAAAAAACaE/h_2nhIbQyxU/s400/lumber+on+jetta.jpg

big_poppa49
04-13-2010, 08:56 PM
thats ridiculous. go buy a bigger trailer and do it the right way. I assure you the lawsuit you will have, along with possible tickets or even just loosing your quads will cost wayyyyyy more than a new trailer.

that one looks all rusted up anyway

grassman
04-13-2010, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CTC B4Z
[B]does this look safe??? I will put more straps down, I just did this to see if it was possible. When I shake either quad, the entire trailer goes along with it, so it is solid...

If you question it, its probably not a good idea. Id look at using ramps or something to lay sideways across the rails of the trailer and put them on that way... I started laughing when I first saw the pic then realized you were serious. It just looks real top heavy and would hate to see either one of those bikes in the "wrecked" thread...$.02

bkelley
04-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Seriously, buy a new trailer. There is no way I would do something like that. I don't care how many straps you have.

slightlybent47
04-13-2010, 11:07 PM
QUOTE]Originally posted by tri5ron
Times are tough, and work is slow.
I had to figure out a way to get Nickolas' new quad, loaded on board my existing 11' trailer.

I was able to get the first 3 quads loaded last season, with a little creative "Imagineering"...

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/3%20quad%20trailer/IMG_9508.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/3%20quad%20trailer/IMG_9495.jpg

I simply can not afford to upgrade to a larger trailer right now.
So with the help of a few beers, a trip to harbor freight, and some imagination, ....
By George !, I think it just might Work !!!....

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/3%20quad%20trailer/IMG_1363.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/3%20quad%20trailer/IMG_1362.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/3%20quad%20trailer/IMG_1365.jpg

next comes,
the below deck fueling station,
side mounted tool boxes,
retractable awning,
and side mounted BBQ !

This is going to be a GREAT season !!!

C'mon Nickolas !!!,....
Let's RIDE !!!! [/QUOTE]

I knew i had seen this before.

tri5ron
04-14-2010, 03:14 AM
^^^ I think not^^^
not even CLOSE to the same thing.

The difference with mine is, that the trailer is far more heavy duty than it appears. The tounge and forward frame rails are completely gusseted and "Box Welded" using 2" x 2" x .250 square reciever stock, inside of the 3" x 1 1/2" C Channel frame rails. The axle is upgraded from a 3000# 5 lug wheel, to a 5700# axle, with 8 lug wheels riding on E load range tires.

The 3 quads in the rear, are fully caged with the contractors rack,
each quads front wheels are rested against and strapped to a upper cross bar on the contractors rack,
there is a lower crossbar between each quad on the trailer rails, and what is not shown is that I use 6 straps on each quad.

the quad on the tounge of the trailer is only pictured as a "test fit" and the installation is far from complete.
The pic was only taken, to show how the hoist will lift the little quad into place.

There will be "J" bolts holding the grab bar down to the tounge, and multiple points welded to secure it to the upper rack, the forward trailer wall and side boards will be added to prevent any side ways slipping. a minimum of 6 straps will be used to insure it stays put.

SB47, If you think it's the same thing as the OP's setup, all I can say is,
Dude, Whatever floats your boat.

slightlybent47
04-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
^^^ I think not^^^
not even CLOSE to the same thing.

The difference with mine is, that the trailer is far more heavy duty than it appears. The tounge and forward frame rails are completely gusseted and "Box Welded" using 2" x 2" x .250 square reciever stock, inside of the 3" x 1 1/2" C Channel frame rails. The axle is upgraded from a 3000# 5 lug wheel, to a 5700# axle, with 8 lug wheels riding on E load range tires.

The 3 quads in the rear, are fully caged with the contractors rack,
each quads front wheels are rested against and strapped to a upper cross bar on the contractors rack,
there is a lower crossbar between each quad on the trailer rails, and what is not shown is that I use 6 straps on each quad.

the quad on the tounge of the trailer is only pictured as a "test fit" and the installation is far from complete.
The pic was only taken, to show how the hoist will lift the little quad into place.

There will be "J" bolts holding the grab bar down to the tounge, and multiple points welded to secure it to the upper rack, the forward trailer wall and side boards will be added to prevent any side ways slipping. a minimum of 6 straps will be used to insure it stays put.

SB47, If you think it's the same thing as the OP's setup, all I can say is,
Dude, Whatever floats your boat.

Calm down there sea basket!!!

I did not say it was the same thing. I just mention I had seen it done before and that’s all.
If you have beefed up your trailer then good for you, there was no mention of all the mods you’ve done in your post. I thought by using your method the op would see that it was un safe the way he had his rig set up. Your set up seems a bit better then his.

I think that’s hardly worth complaining to the moderator about, don’t you think?

MidnightBlade
04-14-2010, 05:01 PM
i see quads hauled like this in the backs of trucks all the time around where i live. i would NEVER do anything like this, with one reason in mind...i cant afford another $3000 quad

tri5ron
04-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Calm down there sea basket!!!

I did not say it was the same thing. I just mention I had seen it done before and that’s all.
If you have beefed up your trailer then good for you, there was no mention of all the mods you’ve done in your post. I thought by using your method the op would see that it was un safe the way he had his rig set up. Your set up seems a bit better then his.

I think that’s hardly worth complaining to the moderator about, don’t you think? please do us both a favor and add me to your Ignore list, as I have done with you.
thank you.

slightlybent47
04-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
please do us both a favor and add me to your Ignore list, as I have done with you.
thank you.

I’m sorry I don’t understand what I did wrong.:confused:

CJM
04-14-2010, 06:27 PM
I dont think its a good idea b/c they have nothing to really hold onto. Your using only the quads weight to hold them together and the grab bar is the only thing holding them up otherwise.

Sure straps will work, but if you dont put one on right, one wears out and snaps, one shifts your gonna be sorry.

I recently bought what I thought was a 6x10 trailer. I didnt measure it and found out its only 5.6ft x 10. It isnt long enough to put to 400exs on it, I put one long ways and sandwiched one on sideways and strapped the crap out of it. It worked ok b/c I only went about 5-7 miles and took my time and checked it 2x.

If I had to do it over again I woulda put one in the bed of my truck.

storms400ex
04-14-2010, 06:42 PM
probly isnt good for the oil to be sitting like that in the engine for a long time either!!!

barton1398
04-14-2010, 07:25 PM
NOPE that trailer will do a lot of bouncing rolling down the road:eek2:

big_poppa49
04-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by storms400ex
probly isnt good for the oil to be sitting like that in the engine for a long time either!!!

im not sure how true this is, but I believe there is a ball type thing inside your carb that would not be good to haul like this either, I heard it gets 'stuck' or something

450rJam
04-14-2010, 08:18 PM
go buy some plywood and a few 2x4's and
make a platform so both can sit on all 4 wheels

put them sideways and let front tires hang over rail (one each direction)

GMC400ex
04-14-2010, 08:20 PM
^^^^^ this is what i was going to say..ive always been told that riding your four wheeler for long wheelies really damnages your engine by your oil being back and granted they arent running but still isnt good for the engine.
and when you do this it will damage your carb, just think which i know we all have done is tippin you four wheeler back doing a wheelie or flippin it over..one of the first things you smell is gas. i have always heard about the piece in your carb being tore up from having a four wheeler tipped up for a long period of time
i understand its tough times and all but try another way and not damage your fourwheeler or someone elses property..

450rJam
04-14-2010, 09:10 PM
you could always hang one over the tongue like this.............

or remove the ramp and extend some 2X12 planks so the rear tires of the back quad can sit on something

CTC B4Z
04-14-2010, 09:56 PM
strange thing, after having my 400 up for about 5 minutes, i went to start it and the battery was weak and it wouldnt start. I gotta find another way

slightlybent47
04-14-2010, 10:44 PM
I know money is tight these days but maybe you could sell that trailer and buy another used trailer that is a little bigger? At least big enough to set them flat on the tires. I had a 6x10 that would carry two put in sideways. I have a cargo trailer now, the only way to go if you ask me. But it was a lot of money but well worth it.

Two quads plus gear is about 1000-1200 lbs so a single axel trailer should do.

You don’t want to put too much weight on the rear of a single axel trailer, that sucker will wiggle around like a two dollar hooker on Friday night. Keep most the weight on the axel and toward the front.

Phaedrus
04-14-2010, 10:44 PM
I've stored my bike on it's grab bar for a 3 week period. From everyone I've talked to it doesn't hurt it and the bike worked fine after. Just be sure to let it sit for at least 5 mins and crank the engine a couple times with the kill switch set to on to move the oil back to the front of the case.

hocman123
04-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I dont think its a good idea b/c they have nothing to really hold onto. Your using only the quads weight to hold them together and the grab bar is the only thing holding them up otherwise.

Sure straps will work, but if you dont put one on right, one wears out and snaps, one shifts your gonna be sorry.

I recently bought what I thought was a 6x10 trailer. I didnt measure it and found out its only 5.6ft x 10. It isnt long enough to put to 400exs on it, I put one long ways and sandwiched one on sideways and strapped the crap out of it. It worked ok b/c I only went about 5-7 miles and took my time and checked it 2x.

If I had to do it over again I woulda put one in the bed of my truck.

change of heart mark u were allways telling me to put ur and my quad in the back of my truck both of them like that

but i was never dum enough to do it

CJM
04-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by hocman123
change of heart mark u were allways telling me to put ur and my quad in the back of my truck both of them like that

but i was never dum enough to do it

Not like the guy in the picture tho Tim, more like each resting on eachother or soemthing.