PDA

View Full Version : BEST chain for the money ?

Pabst_Powered
04-13-2010, 07:50 AM
last summer I bought a DID 520 HD chain, this has been junk since day 1, waste of 60 bucks, I need to buy a new chain this spring, what do you guys think the best chain is without breaking your wallet...thanx

bkelley
04-13-2010, 08:51 AM
I've had a few Primary Drive chains now and haven't had a problem. The gold X-ring chain that I'm running now only cost like $57.

slightlybent47
04-13-2010, 08:58 AM
If you ride mx then try a non o ring chain. It has less drag on the drive line and takes less power to turn it.

dalejiw25
04-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
If you ride mx then try a non o ring chain. It has less drag on the drive line and takes less power to turn it.

Absolutely the only way to roll. I've never had anything but a roller chain.

matt14c
04-13-2010, 10:06 AM
I agree I havent used an o-ring or x-ring chain in years. I had two back to back chains one o-ring the other an x-ring both snapped withing a month or so of installing. Havent used one since and have had good luck with both DID and RK. Just make sure you clean and lube often. Buy a grunge brush and use some type of cleaner to clean it and then I use chain wax instead just a lube and feel that it doesnt fling on everything but the chain it helps in almost sealing the chain from crap and keeps it lubed better. I once broke down and bought a sidewinder but wasnt that impressed with it. I feel there all the same just get a non o-ring!

Pabst_Powered
04-13-2010, 11:56 AM
thanx for all the info so far, all I ride is trails, dunes, and around the house, thats why I couldnt believe how much the heavy duty chain stretched, have to retighten it everyday, looks like I'll be trying out a non-oring type

aDviSol2y
04-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Pabst_Powered
thanx for all the info so far, all I ride is trails, dunes, and around the house, thats why I couldnt believe how much the heavy duty chain stretched, have to retighten it everyday, looks like I'll be trying out a non-oring type

Are you sure its the chain stretching or is it your carrier not being tight enough? Because having to tighten it every day is rediculous. I have had the same chain for years now and barely ever have to tighten it.

slightlybent47
04-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by aDviSol2y
Are you sure its the chain stretching or is it your carrier not being tight enough? Because having to tighten it every day is rediculous. I have had the same chain for years now and barely ever have to tighten it.

Yeah that could be what’s going on. Don’t forget to change the sprockets at the same time. If you put an old chain with a new sprocket or a new chain on an old sprocket it will wear out much faster.

Pabst_Powered
04-13-2010, 12:23 PM
i thought it might of been the carrier slipping, so I started measuring it from where I tighten it, never moved, also the carrier slots are almost on the bottom now and is getting harder to bite on the slots....and isnt the DID 520NZ Heavy Duty a non o-ring chain, also I've been using PJ1 Blue Label chain lube...which states "best for o-ring chains"

aDviSol2y
04-13-2010, 01:09 PM
i thought it might of been the carrier slipping, so I started measuring it from where I tighten it, never moved, also the carrier slots are almost on the bottom now and is getting harder to bite on the slots....and isnt the DID 520NZ Heavy Duty a non o-ring chain, also I've been using PJ1 Blue Label chain lube...which states "best for o-ring chains"

How much slack do you put in your chain when you tighten it? How much do you weigh? And yes the DID 520NZ is a non o-ring chain.

Pabst_Powered
04-13-2010, 03:19 PM
around a 1 1/8 inch or so of slack, I weigh about 200lbs.

MidnightBlade
04-13-2010, 04:20 PM
i thought that non o-ring chains would wear faster in sand and dust. just a thought. i like the stock o-ring chain, i had mine since i bought the quad aout a year ago and it hasnt stretched or broke.

aDviSol2y
04-13-2010, 04:47 PM
around a 1 1/8 inch or so of slack, I weigh about 200lbs.

Is that slack when your sitting on it? The reason it may be stretching so much is because you have it too tight. I know my father in-law has a lot of slack in his chain because he is like 230. But when he sits on it all the slack gets taken up. If its too tight, it is stretching because the sprockets are pulling it apart, not because of the torque of the motor. If this makes sense. I'll tell you I run about 1 1/2" slack and I'm only 150 lbs. Manual tells you to run 1 5/8" of slack. So I don't think its a problem with the chain.

Thumpin440ex
04-13-2010, 04:54 PM
I am running a DID X ring. It stretched a little bit, I have went and tightened it back up, so far so good. Def be sure it isn't the carrier creeping back in, be sure it is in spec for how tight it should be..

John

odog
04-13-2010, 04:58 PM
i also bought a did chain and its stretched way out im looking into getting a sidewinder but they are very pricey but ive been on the trails with a pop chain and its not a good feeling.

Pabst_Powered
04-13-2010, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by aDviSol2y
Is that slack when your sitting on it? The reason it may be stretching so much is because you have it too tight. I know my father in-law has a lot of slack in his chain because he is like 230. But when he sits on it all the slack gets taken up. If its too tight, it is stretching because the sprockets are pulling it apart, not because of the torque of the motor. If this makes sense. I'll tell you I run about 1 1/2" slack and I'm only 150 lbs. Manual tells you to run 1 5/8" of slack. So I don't think its a problem with the chain. Yes it is when I'm sitting on it

97WarriorRider
04-13-2010, 07:09 PM
I bought my quad 4 years with a Regina chain on it its been on there ever since and its in great shape. Its been through 1 hare scramble season and lots a riding and practicing, only have to tighten it when i take the axle out and put it back in.

Wildbrain
04-15-2010, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by odog
i also bought a did chain and its stretched way out im looking into getting a sidewinder but they are very pricey but ive been on the trails with a pop chain and its not a good feeling.

Save your $$$$$

Don't waste your $$$$ with Sidewinder stuff.

Biggest overpriced POS out there. The ONLY chain I have bought and broke on me. Left me stranded out on the trail with a whole lot of time to think about what a mistake it was buying there crap chain.

aDviSol2y
04-15-2010, 08:16 AM
Well considering there are 2 people now that have bought the DID chain and have had it stretch out, I don't think they are a very good buy.

Wheelie
04-15-2010, 08:34 AM
I've only had to adjust my DID X-Ring chain once since installed. No stretch to speak of in over a year.

Great chain, I would highly recommend it to anyone.

aDviSol2y
04-15-2010, 09:04 AM
What could cause the chains to stretch so much besides over tightening? Could sprocket size have anything to do with it?

Pabst_Powered
04-15-2010, 09:34 AM
I would like to know also, have to buy a new chain now since my cant even be tighten anymore, my carrier is at the point where if I turn it anymore it binds up, still would like atleast 3 good reviews on a chain thou...

Chuck75
04-15-2010, 03:50 PM
I got a question. not to hyjack your thread but I heard that you should take your chain off and soak it in oil every once in a while I guess to lube it. anyone else do this and should the rest of us start? if so what kind of oil and for how long?

MidnightBlade
04-16-2010, 06:19 PM
i think the stretching is from the torque from the motor to the wheels. i believe that if you race and dump the clutch alot it should stretch some too. just a thought not sure though

togup
04-17-2010, 06:46 AM
all you guys running stretched chains need to be careful we all know what happens to engine cases when a chain breaks i dont know about yall but i got some serious money in my motor i cant afford a broken case ,a 60 or 70 dollar chain dont sound so bad in comparison to 45$ gaskets 80$ crank bearings and 250-300 $ new case ,just a worst case scenario

RosquistRacer39
04-17-2010, 07:49 AM
I have always ran primary drive sprockets and chains from RMATV without a problem on my yfz and I race mx. Alot of practice and racing. Plus at half the cost of the others you can replace them more often if you need to.
But your chain shouldn't need adjustment after every ride. Something else is your issue, like stated maybe overtightening.

dalejiw25
04-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Are you using the right length chain ???? I believe a stock swinger with 15/38 gears is 100 link. Also You should be measuring 12.5 inches in a 21 pin span On an O-ring, anything more and the chain is shot.

hjsmith00843
04-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Not sure how well this would work for an ATV chain but I race karts and we prep out chain every week.

I take some synthetic oil 10w30 and put about 2 quarts in a crock pot. Then I add a block of paffren wax to it. Preheat it on high and then put the chain into the oil.

After a day of cooking the chain I remove it and let it drip dry. Wipe off with a clean towl and install it back on.

Wonder if this would work well with a atv chain.

I have a brand new one that I am going to install when I rebuild this winter. Hopefully the old bearings will last this summer.

dalejiw25
04-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Never tried that but it sounds like a pretty damned good idea.... What kind of chain do you use I'm presuming a non O-ring??? Thanks.

big_poppa49
04-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by togup
all you guys running stretched chains need to be careful we all know what happens to engine cases when a chain breaks i dont know about yall but i got some serious money in my motor i cant afford a broken case ,a 60 or 70 dollar chain dont sound so bad in comparison to 45$ gaskets 80$ crank bearings and 250-300 $ new case ,just a worst case scenario

thats why you install a billet case saver...;)

togup
04-17-2010, 09:25 PM
absolutely agree, one more step to protect your motor that doesnt cost much

Pabst_Powered
04-24-2010, 02:16 PM
looking at Primary Drive chains... seem good for the money

520 H

520 X-ring

520 O-ring

all these seem to have about the same good reviews, the x-ring chain did have alot of master link issues though, any quick thoughts would be great, I'm ordering today