PDA

View Full Version : Registering an ATV in NJ

CJM
04-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Ok I really want to register it and insure it, however I have only a bill of sale from the previous owner.

According to the DMV website they want:

Proof of ownership
If you purchased it from a dealership, provide the Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin or Certificate of Origin (MSO or CCO), an invoice with the date of purchase, make, model, year, serial number and the dealer's "Sales Tax Satisfied" stamp

If you purchased the vehicle from a private owner, provide a MSO, COO or the seller's registration that indicates the vehicle was sold and a notarized letter that includes:

* Name of buyer
* Date of sale
* Make, model, year, serial number and purchase price

So what the heck do they want?? Could I have a notarized paper drawn up??

Anyone found the solution?

Ralph
04-13-2010, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Ok I really want to register it and insure it, however I have only a bill of sale from the previous owner.

According to the DMV website they want:

So what the heck do they want?? Could I have a notarized paper drawn up??

Anyone found the solution?

It looks like they either want the Title, which we know you dont have (Why didnt he give it to you).

Alternatively, you can ask the guy you bought it from to give you a copy of his old registration with a letter stating the said information, saying it has been sold to you.

He will most likely need to run that letter to a bank, ups store, or anywhere else that has a notary. Then sign it in front of that guy and get a notary seal. I am not completely sure here as you may be the one who can prepare the notorized letter.

Sounds like you got a lot of work in front of you. I would first make sure the thing is not stolen in the first place.

Contact the buyer and tell him that you are trying to register the vehicle. If he hesitates and is not very helpful, I would let him know that if it is stolen, they will find out when he registers it. If he offers to buy it back then good, get your money back and report him for possibly having stolen property anyway.

You do wanna try to get your money up front though because if they find out its stolen they will take it and you will be empty-handed.

CJM
04-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Well thing is I bought it over a year ago in basically non running shape. I do have the bill of sale still tho..

In NJ TONS of atvs and bikes, etc dont have titles, no one knows where they ever go it seems. I do know its not stolen, I was almost nailed the other day and the officer checked.

What I had heard was they will accept a notarized bill of sale. So I will have to have one drawn up.

Then again I was just at the DMV to register a trailer and the website had said you need pictures, you need notarized bill of sale, you need material list and parts cost, etc, etc. I said I made it 2 weeks ago and they didnt bat an eye.

So we shall see, Im going saturday for the ATV.

sunco
04-13-2010, 01:49 PM
F jersey

DCNR in pa - u do it all over the fax & phone. cost $40 bucks or so. They will get u going 866-545-2476 Harrisburg PA

They change the bill of sale to a PA title (u gotta pay jersey sales TX or show proof u did) then u registar the quad.

Now u have a title & registration

Next if ur old enough get ins from Rider in Springfield NJ. IF not get it thru Foremost ins.

Foremost will get u ins in NJ w/ PA tags.

If u get stopped in NJ u have a registared / insured MV. :blah: Only thing u don't have is a license which u can't get anyway.

Good luck - that how I play the game. BUUURRRRRRAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPP.....

CJM
04-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks very much sunco, really appreciate it.

hocman123
04-13-2010, 03:22 PM
so we call pa even though we don't live or have any address and they would just give me a title no questons asked really

sunco
04-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Yup. Don't lie - ur stuff is on ur documents - its all legal. Make the call

Ur welcome - for me its been there done that.

It took me awhile cause I got the run around from NJ DMV.

Jerseys says u cant title anything offroad, but other dudes said to me u can do it. Bottom line I got the run around & hooked up w/ PA.

Its like anything - make 3 calls & get 3 different answers. Right?

Post back when ur done w/ the paperwork.

If asked - ur doing it so u can ride ur quad in PA. U have to have these documents to ride on gov't property legally.

Suck my tailpipe NJ :macho w/o the spark arrestor to :blah:

CJM
04-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Ok I think I got it now that you explained it a bit more.

kfx400rider03
04-13-2010, 05:42 PM
just one question. why do you wanna register you quad in nj in the first place?
not going against you or anything just it made me wounder

CJM
04-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by kfx400rider03
just one question. why do you wanna register you quad in nj in the first place?
not going against you or anything just it made me wounder

B/c this weekend I got stopped and if it isnt registered or insured its impounded if they are feeling mean that day. Its pretty illegal to ride them anywhere but private property here. But if you do ride illegally they cant take your stuff cause you have proof of ownership.

Main thing this gets you is proof you own it.

kfx400rider03
04-13-2010, 06:59 PM
ok im still lost alittle bit but i am understanding it alittle bit.
but why cant the impound it if you have proof of ownership?

CJM
04-13-2010, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by kfx400rider03
ok im still lost alittle bit but i am understanding it alittle bit.
but why cant the impound it if you have proof of ownership?

Im sorry Im being a bit vague here b/c honestly no one really knows what the law is and it varies by town too.

But basically if you dont have proof of ownership it is like driving and vehicle that is unregistered and uninsured-it gets impounded them. Also with a registration you prove you own it and its not stolen legally speaking.

If I can register and insure it they cant take it away. Sure they can fine you but they cant take it.

sunco
04-13-2010, 08:56 PM
I'm not sure about that proof of ownership issue. I talk w/ a cop the other day, heres something interesting. If u don't have ur insurance card, DL or reg card on u when stopped. The fine is $180. If u have an unregistred car the fine is cheaper. Go figure. It's trenton trying to get all ur money. So the dude that doesn't give a chit is better off the u if u went swimming & forgot ur wallet:rolleyes:

My reason for it is if ur pulled over , they ask for license, reg & DL - if ur on ur quad then u'd have two out of three which = less fines etc..... We all have our reasons, I'd just call it extra insurance. The ownership thing is valid to.

My one son had to show a picture ID the other day - he showed his school ID - not excepted. It only has a picture & graduation date, no DOB - so whats the point. Ask 3 ?'s get 3 different answers.
I think the cops do what they want & its up to u to prove them wrong. If they want it impounded - they'll do it. Just CYOA best u can.

CJM
04-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Guy who got me and my buddy basically told us there is no legal place to ride an ATV besides private property.

But the main thing imho is although everyone has conflicting answers, if you dont have something that proves its yours and is a legal document and they do impound it-good luck getting it back.

hocman123
04-13-2010, 10:36 PM
yea from what i heard they can impound them if they are registered
but if it is not registered there is no way to prove u own the quad and can sometimes have a hard time getting it back, like wave good bye when there takeing it b/c it's the last u will see of it

also we plan on going out to pa at some of the state ride parks and u need this stuff to do it or u will drive all the way out there just to get told to go home

MJ2315
04-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Figured this is slightly relevant

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/01/new_law_to_increase_opportunit.html

Personally I have not registered or insured my bike (yet). Show me a legal place to ride and I'm 100% fine with it. I carry my title with me to ensure my proof of ownership / NJ sales tax paid in full stamped by dealer. Kinda corny, but its peace of mind. Sort of.

sunco
04-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Good post. I read the link. So we should close down the football stadium to - just because they bought some football gear - why should the taxpayer have to pay for that? Maybe we should close down the roads to. Just because I bought a car doesn't mean I need a road to ride it on. Give me a break Mr Sierra Club

Rules Rules Rules............ Well w/ all the gov't laws , maybe one thing good will come out if it. Maybe one day it will be illegal to be STUPID - now who's going to jail or has less money in there pocket ?

CJM
04-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Went to the DMV saturday, bill of sale thats notarized is what the lady said-so we shall see since I got one today.

If it works ill be happy!

Tried to check out the insurance you talked about. But rider wont take me due to 2 accidents I had and waiting to hear back from foremost.

sunco
04-19-2010, 05:13 AM
by saying DMV - I guess ur talking NJ. Sorry about rider ins. They are the least expsenive. Foremost was more but they insure u if u are taggged in PA but the quad is garaged in NJ. Most ins co's everything has to be in only one state

CJM
04-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Well we shall see, my auto ins doesnt offer atv according to the website. Im gonna call to verify that tho.

CJM
05-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Ha, it all worked out quite well.

Geico changed my premium from 350 to like 220 bucks a year and low and behold another DMV registered it, no questions asked :)

What could they really say, it was never registered therefore I am the owner period legally imho.

SRH
05-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
It looks like they either want the Title, which we know you dont have (Why didnt he give it to you).

Alternatively, you can ask the guy you bought it from to give you a copy of his old registration with a letter stating the said information, saying it has been sold to you.

He will most likely need to run that letter to a bank, ups store, or anywhere else that has a notary. Then sign it in front of that guy and get a notary seal. I am not completely sure here as you may be the one who can prepare the notorized letter.

Sounds like you got a lot of work in front of you. I would first make sure the thing is not stolen in the first place.

Contact the buyer and tell him that you are trying to register the vehicle. If he hesitates and is not very helpful, I would let him know that if it is stolen, they will find out when he registers it. If he offers to buy it back then good, get your money back and report him for possibly having stolen property anyway.

You do wanna try to get your money up front though because if they find out its stolen they will take it and you will be empty-handed.

9 out of 10 times in ny if its much older than a 04 and a sport quad good luck finding a registration with it, i fill out the dmv papers regularly for ppl in ny its 3 forms, and a photo or etching of the vin numbers...pretty easy stuff

i always check for numbers ask questions, never ran into a issue, in nys prior to 02 you didnt have to register them and without being registered unless you had some sort of legal proof of ownership it was near impossible to report a theft so even if it was stolen doesnt mean it would show up as hot

as far as buying it and it ending up hot...well hes not going to get in trouble theyll just take his statement and he doesnt have to give your money back...u could take him to court but thats iffy with it being a as is sale and the costs involved...

all in all i wouldnt worry too much, its really not a big deal to get a registration or title in nys for a quad so i imagine jersey is even easier, ive done it 10 or 15 times for people and its cake

SRH
05-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by CJM
B/c this weekend I got stopped and if it isnt registered or insured its impounded if they are feeling mean that day. Its pretty illegal to ride them anywhere but private property here. But if you do ride illegally they cant take your stuff cause you have proof of ownership.

Main thing this gets you is proof you own it.

the cop must really have a hard on for you guys to bend the law that much...or atvs are a real nuisance there... in ny pretty much a hand written bill of sale with 2 signatures is acceptable..i usually dont register my quads because i ride my own land or other tracks etc...and if they do catch u they never ask for proof of rowneership only regi..and if you have it they hit you with 2 other tickets anyway...so it makes no sense

CJM
05-11-2010, 07:24 AM
Our last governor made atv fines $$$$$, IE it could cost you over a thousand dollars just for being caught riding.

hocman123
05-11-2010, 03:22 PM
in nj it is not easy they want to see a paper record in the computers from owner to owner so like mine which was once registered by it's first owner ( i am now it 4th at least) they want a bill of sales with his name on it which is not the person i bought it from and have no way to ever find this person even though i didn't by it from him.

sunco
05-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Thats the dumbest sh*t I've heard. MV tells u diferent answers as reflected in this post. No one set of rules. They don't have a clue. we can be mad about alot of things - I'm choosing to ride elsewhere - NJ gets enough of my tax dollars already. I'm done wasting my time. u always will offend someone just because u exist - then they make a law. WTF FYI like those red stickers on the kids car- what a joke - PROFILING - ......................:chinese:

hocman123
05-11-2010, 04:36 PM
yea i know what u are saying with the red stickers people are all up in arms b/c they are afraid of there little girls getting raped but i don't really think that will happen but cop will most deffently be pulling teens over jsut b/c they are teens and they will get them on somthing or make it up

sunco
05-11-2010, 08:53 PM
I think its all about identifing a certain group & we don't like that. they keep coming up w/ laws for everything & its bothersome to most. Anyway I'm done talkin about it. It is what it is. Peace dudes

CJM
05-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Yea I know, it sucks. I cant wait to get outta here.

wow its lou
01-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Sorry for aking up an old thread but CJM, how did you make out with getting a title?

sunco
01-15-2013, 04:41 AM
just get pa title &register it there. it doesn't have to be NJ. it just has
to have it

CJM
01-15-2013, 04:58 AM
I got them to do it. Depends on which DMV you go to, one might be too stupid to know what to do or not care than another.

Basically you need a notarized bill of sale, then its just a matter of finding a clerk at the dmv who will do it.

sunco
01-15-2013, 08:58 AM
PA you can do it via fax & credit card

CJM
01-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by sunco
PA you can do it via fax & credit card

And thats the best way tbh. I did it my way just cause I was lazy and the bank and the dmv are only a few miles apart.

wow its lou
01-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Thanks guys, Ill try nj first and if that dont work ill do the pa thing.