View Full Version : Puffin a lil smoke, carb settings- whats up, fresh 440

Thumpin440ex
04-12-2010, 08:24 PM
I have about a half a tank of gas through the bike, a cam2- 93 mix at that.. Pretty sure the rings are seated up, it has had its up and down through the R's.. I do no it is running a tad on the rich side, with a 190 jet, based off of the plug, a hint of black smoke( fuel) on quick revs.. It does this(blue smoke) only when it is coming down from a quick rev, def doesn't smell like oil or has it used a drop of oil.. I can not tell you the setting on the crab, as I did not touch it, only to do the hot start block off, swap the jet to the 190.. Other then that it has been left alone.. Bike starts on the 2-3rd crank, runs really well. No sputter or break up on the top end, not popping on the decell.. Does your bike smoke like this when cracking the throttle??? I never noticed it when it was the reg 400cc. I am not worried, as it is running to well to be messed up, there is no signs of oil on the plug or oil res in the pipe, just a tad rich, based on the smoke, plug, small amount of soot in the pipe.. Buuuuuttttttt

Thanks for any tips, or info on it

John

JOHNDOE83
04-12-2010, 08:38 PM
I think you just described a well jetted 440ex motor.

A "lil" black when you pump the throttle is good, thats the left over fuel, the slight blue is the the transition from proper to slightly rich on the quick revs....

Thats how you want it.

But with a 190, I dont think your on the rich side, for the top end, depending on elevation Id say your close to perfect.

the pilot is a lil rich thats where the smoke comes from.....thats good.

Thumpin440ex
04-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Excellent, Ok that good. I have yet to run it balls out, cut the ignition, to get a good solid reading on the plug, but it runs like a raped ape, will stand to the moon well into 3rd gear.. As far as I know it has the stock pilots in it.. I am prob 10ft about sea level, as I live right on the water.. But this is good to hear.. Like I said I def wasn't worried as it is running to spot on for me to be really concerned, no signs of problems.. But was just curious, as I have been out of atving for some time, when I was into it never payed attention like I do now..I do want to remove the choke out of the carb, but thats down the road..

Thanks, I might make it to the track soon with it :macho Get me a 8.65 1/8 :devil:

John

JOHNDOE83
04-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Id bet itll be close.?.

Depending on rider ability....lol. j/k

Thumpin440ex
04-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Well I can bang the gears, leave the line great(imo), only prob is you can hang 8000lbs on the front of these things, they come up.. LOL..

How does that solid link do for helping wheel standing ??

John

JOHNDOE83
04-12-2010, 09:21 PM
not much....lol.

Its a lil worse actually, I dont use the burnout pit for that reason.

It puts all the force down on the rear end for traction, off the line.

Stroker81
04-13-2010, 05:14 PM
what kind of gearing you guys runnin in the 1/8. I wanna take mine to the track. Do you have slicks on them or just stock tires?

JOHNDOE83
04-13-2010, 06:07 PM
I was using 16/39 gearing, then I started using 14/39, I would only hit 4th gear in the 8th with the 16/39, with the 14/39 I still barley hit 5th gear....thinking about going 13/39.

Depending on the drag strip, you may need several things.

Tether kill switch
chain guard
slicks or drag radials if theres a no nobby rule?
leather jacket
ankle high boots
pants
snell approved helmet, sometimes a d.o.t. approved helmet is ok

Call them and find out prior to going.

My rear tires are 22in duro scorcher's, my front tires are scooter rear tires.