PDA

View Full Version : Alignment Q

CJM
04-12-2010, 08:05 PM
I flipped it over yesterday, took a turn to hard and it just wouldnt go anyway but straight into the bushes.

Measures the insides of the rims and they both come up with the same number (measured it from the front and the back), something like 29 inches iirc. But, it seems to me that the tires are pointing funny until I put weight on the quad and I dont recall them doing that before.

Maybe im just neurotic and its fine, but I just wanted to know everyones opinion anyway

lynfrm
04-12-2010, 09:25 PM
if they measure the same then it has to be right. but u might try putting some weight on it and measuring them mine is right till i put weight on them and they point out and bit i need to fix it lol

bigbad400
04-14-2010, 08:52 AM
not supposed to hit the brakes your supposed to hit the gas. :huh

you power through hard corners, not let the corner kick your ***. lol

just picking i have done it many times. live and learn my friend. :D

no if it measures correct top to bottom and front to back on the wheels it should be fine. measure the top of the center of the tires and bottom to check camber. the y should be perfect even. (on stock a arms, aftermarkets are adjustable) and front of the tire ceter to center and the back to measure toe. all 4 measurements should be even. with weight and without weight. if it changes under weight its probably your balljoints.

Scro
04-14-2010, 10:14 AM
The suspension measurements, especially toe, are going to change under weight. This is with most every quad. Some will change more than others. It's called bumpsteer when your toe changes in the range of suspension motion (under weight). The best thing to do is setup the suspension with you sitting on the quad in full riding gear.

Align everything, making sure the measurements are correct. Don't get off and look at it, to make sure it looks correct. You will drive yourself nuts, thinking that something is wrong. If you don't believe me, look at your toe from the front, then look at it from the back. It's just an optical illusion, but one way will look like they are toed out, and the other will look toed in. Messes with your mind:p

bigbad400
04-14-2010, 10:30 AM
what im saying is when you are on the quad. it will read a dif measurement, yes, but they should still be even with each other. both sides should match. now get off the quad and measure. dif number than with weight on it, but both should match. if not u have something wrong.

slightlybent47
04-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Don’t forget that that is a mass produced quad and it will have some things that just don’t line up perfect. When mine was new I did all kinds of measurements from front to back and even in stock form it was off in several areas. If you want a perfect frame you will have to spend a lot of money on a race frame. My axels from front to rear and center to center on the hubs are off by an 1/8”. I have found that when I run about an 1/8” toe and 3/16” camber is about right for me. Anything less then that and it tends to spin out too easy. If it’s set up right you should be able to push the quad with one finger.

Don’t forget that your tires play a big roll in how it will handle as well. I run between 9-12 lbs in the front and 8-10 in the rear depending on track conditions. Be careful where you park it, one day I had set my tire presser and after it was parked in the sun where one side was in the sun and the other was in the shade. I rechecked the tires and the side that was in the sun had 3 lbs more presser then the other. If I had gone out like that it would have handled deferent. But by parking it in the shade the presser went back to the same on both sides.

Just keep messing with it and you will find out what works for you.
Good luck

fearlessfred
04-14-2010, 12:11 PM
the measurement will be different [front to back] the further u get into the travel because of bumpsteer as scro allready stated i think hondas bump in so your toe in is going to be greater the farther you get into travel [that is if i am remembering correctly that hondas bump in] you should ck toe in from the center of the tire front to back and not the rim and 1/8 inch toe in should be good on stock arms

CJM
04-14-2010, 03:51 PM
Thanks everyone.

For the record I did power thru the corner, but it just kept on going straight-thats when I gave up and said brakes and it didnt help much.