PDA

View Full Version : Where is the most popular place for a 06+ 450r frame to crack?

/infamous/
04-12-2010, 07:45 PM
I thought it looked like my frame was slightly cracked and Ballance MX is in a few days so i do not have time to swap frames. Where is the spots that the 06+frames crack the most? Ill add a pic showing where i think mine is cracked, it is just a tiny place....

blacknblue#2
04-12-2010, 09:26 PM
around the footpegs is a weak point. they take alot of stress right there. get a good welder to tack it up for you to get you through the weekend. Ive done it many times

Pappy
04-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Upper engine mounts (just behind them on the main tube)

The cross bar where your front brake lines bolt (cracks boths ides often)

Footpegs(all around that area) Flip the quad on its grab bar and check out just behind the pegs as well

Seeing alot of front shock mounts crack on earlier models now as well.

Also behind the coil mount tab

/infamous/
04-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks, so from the looks of the pic do you think ill be fine for this weekend? And how bad does the crack need to be till i should fix it? Should i get a new frame or weld it?

Pappy
04-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Take a wire wheel to the area, weld it up

Get the quad up on its grab bar and check underneat that spot (where everything comes together) Ive had a ton of frames in here that the owners never even knew were cracked there.

You shouldnt need a new frame:p

ss440ex
04-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

Footpegs(all around that area) Flip the quad on its grab bar and check out just behind the pegs as well

This really sums it up!!
Seems like you have seen a few!

/infamous/
04-13-2010, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the help Pappy.

hendershot106
04-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Pappy

I have cracked/ seen them crack entirely around the frame by the coil tab mount.

Also, the steering stem u tube that is welded to the main spar of the frame always cracked on my mx quads. Where the factory gussetts with holes in them are welded on.

I also had the cast area at the rear of the mainframe where the subframe tabs are crack almost entirely around. (After casing a 75-80 ft triple indoors)

But as pappy stated the most problematic area is the footpeg area. Almost every frame cracks there. If it isnt, its never been rode harder than cruising speed.

As much trouble as i had with the frames, my subframes always snapped or bent too. The subframes always break in the rear triangular area with the two sub spars meeting, and in the gusseted area where the seat latch is.

IMO the best way to prevent a honda frame from cracking is to put full aftermarket suspension on the bike before you even ride it... and dont gussett it until it has already started to crack in multiple areas.

motofreak2772
04-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Mine cracks at the kickstart dip, where the top subframe mount is but on the main tube.

zyoung04
04-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
around the footpegs is a weak point. they take alot of stress right there. get a good welder to tack it up for you to get you through the weekend. Ive done it many times

this guys not lying he does it just about every weekend

ltr-91
04-17-2010, 07:59 AM
mine craked on both sides on the main tube on top right below the seat

sunco
04-17-2010, 08:46 AM
Mine cracked in front on the motor itself. I think it did a James Bond move. :(

HORSTA
04-23-2010, 10:29 AM
i'd say round about here. Heard of a few guys cracking here