PDA

View Full Version : Brake Light Bolt Snapped.. Now what?

Ryan'07400ex
04-12-2010, 06:10 PM
I was trying to tighten the bolt behind the brake light on my 400 because people had told me it seemed loose and really "bounced" on the bumpyish stuff. Anyway one turn and it snapped.

What are my options now besides duct tape?

You can see in the pic just a bit still sticks out.

Ryan'07400ex
04-12-2010, 06:11 PM
another with it off the bracket.

dns1764
04-12-2010, 06:32 PM
ductape

big_poppa49
04-12-2010, 07:59 PM
are there enough threads left to still screw on the bolt? If not, can you dremel some away to allow room for the bolt?

if not, i'd say leave it off, or buy another brake light off ebay for like $48 plus shipping. (dang those things are high, I bought mine a while back, hope mine dont ever break) :( ]

oh, and I think they are supposed to "bounce", thats what keeps them from breaking during rough riding.

Ryan'07400ex
04-13-2010, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by big_poppa49
oh, and I think they are supposed to "bounce", thats what keeps them from breaking during rough riding.

I realize that now, haha. I may just keep duct taping it from the back but it last one ride only then gets muddy and loses its sticky power but at least that way it's not noticeable.

Are there any other lights that I could just plug into what is already there that will work?

MidnightBlade
04-13-2010, 06:15 PM
id wrap ALOT of electrical tape around the light on that side then get soe copper wire and bend around it. worked for me

big_poppa49
04-13-2010, 09:08 PM
I saw somebody on here had a clear LED brake light wired up on their 400ex. I believe it was a light off of a street bike, but it worked and looked sick!! Probably just have to make some mounts, but no big deal...

oh and you would have to cut off that plug, its just 3 wires, ground, running light, and brake light. simple.

Ryan'07400ex
04-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by big_poppa49
I saw somebody on here had a clear LED brake light wired up on their 400ex. I believe it was a light off of a street bike, but it worked and looked sick!! Probably just have to make some mounts, but no big deal...

oh and you would have to cut off that plug, its just 3 wires, ground, running light, and brake light. simple.

Do you really think it would be that simple just to splice those three wires to a different light?

MidnightBlade
04-14-2010, 07:26 PM
should be easy if you feel adventurous, or you could just let the light off, or wrap some wire, wrap some electrical tape, some more tape, a little more tape, ALOT more tape, and then some more tape. make sure its red electrical tape so it kinda blends in

big_poppa49
04-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Yes. real easy. Just make sure you put heat shrink tubing around your connections. I soldered mine, which I also recommend. But if you dont have an iron, or soldering skills, you can get real good wire connectors. When you search for a light, I would look for once thats close in length as your stock, and probably has similar bolts on back. I think if mine ever breaks thats what I will do, probably get one of those clear LED ones.

cruhl01
04-14-2010, 11:35 PM
Mine did the same thing. I cut the rest of the bolt off, drilled it out and then tapped it. I put some jb weld on a bolt and tightened it in and then cut off the new bolt head. Its been like that for a year now and works fine.

Ryan'07400ex
04-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Does anyone have the link to the thread about putting a yfz or r6 taillight on? I'm actually not sure how I would mount it but i think the clear LED would look better and its cheaper on ebay for those.