PDA

View Full Version : 250r problems

Lil90man!!
01-28-2003, 05:47 PM
alright my friend has a 250r and recently we've been having some problems with it. it all started when the cold weather hit. we were trying to get it started and got it pretty well flooded i think so we decided to try and pull it with his rancher well we pulled it around for a while and all we could get was to get it to idle pretty much any time you gave it any gas it would just die it would fire thou and occasionally it would backfire and blow the exhuast off(at the head) and blow a huge puff of flames after we got back in the garage we decided to tear the carb apart and found the needle clip to be slightly bent really loose and was on the bottom clip:confused: we figured this would be a lil too rich and cause it to not start right we moved it to the third one down one kick boom it runs i kick it into gear revs up fine let the clutch out it dies have trouble starting it get it started revs fine let out clutch dies ok so we get it started again rev it WAY up and dump the clutch it runs get down the driveway all the way into 6th just running great turn around get down to 2nd hit it and bluuuu it dies then it won't start we raise the needle another spot thinking its rich and is boggin it down now it will start and rev fine in neutral but when u get on it goin anywhere right after it hits 3rd BOOM the pipe blows off and blows a huge puff of fire out and then bluu but it only does it while moving not in neutral:confused: sorry so long and i mighta missed a thing here and there but that looks about right any ideas??:huh were stumped what what a messed up reed do i'm not to familair with 2-strokes???

300exazzkikr
01-28-2003, 08:43 PM
Since of the cold weather i was thinking that there might have been water in the lines and then it froze causing blockage in the line so that it wasn't getting the right amount of fuel. But then with the major backfireing and fire i'm thinking it's running a little rich, but why it pops off i'm not really sure, but maybe there is some blockage in the silencer causeing the air not to go through. just my 2 cents.

there is a lot of blockage in there...lol..:p

ride_red_ex
01-29-2003, 11:57 AM
is the needle straight?...that could cause big problems...also check the reeds if your carb is already off...might be there

Lil90man!!
01-29-2003, 12:18 PM
alright i just got back in from f'n with it:grr we figured out why it was backfiring when the needle clip dropped down it richened it way up then pull starting it totally flooded it and soaked the silencer packing with gas/oil we repacked it(also a new set of springs on the pipe) and got the needle set right(we think) but now when you get it started it will rev fine in neutral(another funny thing it WILL NOT start in gear it has to be in neutral to start) but as soon as you kick it into gear you have to keep it above 1/4 throttle or so as long as you run it good it screams the second you let all the way off of it and try to hit it again it just bluuuu and dies, but if you only drop to 1/2 throttle or so it'll stay running so we tried messing with the air screw and no results:confused: also before this happend it ran like a champ nothing whatsoever wrong with it, but what would a broken/ messed up in any way reed do to it. and i know rings an piston would be a good idea but would it cause this problem or contribute to it?????

nuttynewt
01-29-2003, 12:30 PM
It sounds like you have several problems. However, one can only guess without actually being there. I would say the first thing you should do is get a new needle. You can not try to straighten one and expect it to be right, even though it may look right. Carbs are fairly precise instruments...;) Secondly, your jetting seems to be WAY off. Do a search on carb jetting, I'm sure someone has posted the correct procedure in here. You're reeds could possibly be FUBAR also, you might as well check them while you got the carb off messing with jetting. A rule of thumb to remember is:

idle to 1/8 throttle - mixture screw
1/8 - 1/4 - pilot jet
1/4 - 3/4 - needle
3/4 - full throttle - main jet

Now keep in mind that changing the main jet will affect your needle setting, changing the pilot jet will affect the mixture screw, etc.; but these are good basic guidelines to get it close.

If possible run a compression test and a leak down test. That is the quickest way to determine major problems.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the CDI or stator may be weak, which will cause problems like you're having. Not knowing any background of the machine, you can't rule anything out.

Good luck!

250rmike
01-29-2003, 01:08 PM
have you tried to just let it sit there and warm up for a whie? 250r's are naturally cold natured and the cold weather just makes it worse

300exazzkikr
01-29-2003, 03:46 PM
nuttynewt- awesome info bro!

Lil90man!!
01-29-2003, 05:33 PM
:rolleyes: :o :mad: think we found our problem (look at that picture that is the fron part of his pipe) after a combination of 200 things goin wrong in order this happened, for future reference to anyone, don't let the needle clip come off, then try to pull start it and flooding the motor with gas which in turn soaks the silencer packing which blocks the exuast then when the bike does fire the weak exhaust springs let the pipe move to far and the pipe just magically hits the a-arm mount (if anyone ever did this again in the entire world more power to em cuz we sure couldn't)

nuttynewt
01-30-2003, 12:52 PM
Yes, that is a big dent, but it will not cause his R to run like that. You have other problems.

250rmike
01-30-2003, 01:07 PM
yea thats what i was gonna say i have seen pipes with bigger dents than that and they ran fine

xcntry
02-27-2003, 11:47 PM
This may sound dumb but have you changed the plug with a properly gapped new plug. My R has done similar thing to me and a change of the plug fixed it. I've had mine start and idle just fine but stall as soon as I put it in gear. and vise versa. The plugs can do strange things somtimes. Just a suggestion!:)

Lil90man!!
02-28-2003, 02:24 PM
lol u can't really tell in that picture but there is a gash about 1 inch long and a half an inch wide in the center of that dent, we got it rewelded and she's runnin good now someone is coming out to look at it tonight my brother is gonna sell that an his rancher he wasn't a raptor:rolleyes: