View Full Version : need help for frame paint

trx400 rider
04-12-2010, 03:48 PM
all right here the short part of the story. well about a 5 weeks ago i got cut of and crashed my trx450r. well the frame bent in the front so i have a welder to bend it back and put new supports. well while its all down to the frame i gonna paint it. i think im gonna just do a prime coat then color and clear coat. or is that not a good way or is there an easier way that will hold up well. i was thinking of a black frame with red a-arms and red swing arm. it is a red trx450r . any other colors and if any one got some pics with that color scheme or any that will look good on a red trx please post some pics. thanks alot.

SRH
04-12-2010, 03:57 PM
www.duplicolor.com

they got some super nice paint that holds up decent, look at there metal cast line... here is there metal cast blue

SRH
04-12-2010, 03:59 PM
the metal cast looks as good as any candy pc ive had, not as strong but it costs about $70 to do the whole frame

here is metal specks which is a flat color but with glitter

CJM
04-12-2010, 06:30 PM
I bought smoke gray rustoleum, was a close but not perfect match.

bens250ex
04-13-2010, 08:40 AM
i never had good luck with painting frames they always chip and so forth. i have used spray cans for my truck wheels and bumper and they came out great. but i did spent a whole lot more time on it with clear coat and so forth.

honda01400ex
10-21-2010, 07:49 PM
here is my old 400ex i rebuilt here is video link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCJ4y8HsKpM

i used

duplicolor truck bed liner 2 coats

duplicolor metal specs silver 3 coats

duplicolor meatal cast red 3 light coats

i rode hard all season on trails and mx and never saw a chip!! i prepped with paint thinner and tac cloth and then rubbing alcohol

:devil:

honda01400ex
10-21-2010, 07:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW2LLolX6U0&feature=mfu_in_order&playnext=1&videos=mgxAyyZh7zE

part 1 of rebuild first vid i posed was part 2

wilkin250r
10-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Spray paint has a pretty glossy finish, a separate clear coat isn't really necessary. It's better, yes, but not mandatory, unless the paint you're using specifically calls for it (because the paint itself doesn't have any UV protection built in)

Personally, I don't do clear coats when I use paint. Chips and scratches are a fact of life, clearcoat reduces chips and scratches a little bit, but it also makes touch-up MUCH more difficult, because you can't paint over the clearcoat. So you need to sand a much larger area so you don't overspray on top of the clear.

The two main benefits of paint is price, and ease of touch-up. Without any clear, it's a little sanding, protect other areas from overspray (often just a rag or towel), and a quick burst of paint. Why would you complicate things with a clearcoat?

finsteratv
10-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by SRH
www.duplicolor.com

they got some super nice paint that holds up decent, look at there metal cast line... here is there metal cast blue

i feel stupid but what is that quad
im guessing some hybrid???