PDA

View Full Version : carrier bearing replacement. How do you do this

Mercedes
04-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Can someone tell me how to get the bearings out without cracking the carrier. I'm already one down,and dont wanna mess up un other one.

panici33
04-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Look to get some special tools, bearing retainer tool or something similar.

hondaracer31
04-13-2010, 05:35 AM
Get a hot plate. Remove the rubber seals first, set the bearing carrier on end on the hot plate, set the temp. to 350 degrees. After the plate gets hot and cycles off, USING GLOVES, pick up the carrier and bang it firmly and squarely down on a block of wood. This will shake the bearing out to the end of the carrier. Then, using a punch thru the center of the carrier, tap the bearing out.
Repeat process for the other bearing.

The carrier is made of aluminum, which expands faster than steel. DO NOT USE A TORCH!!!!! That will ruin the carrier!

For installing new bearings you can warm the carrier in the same way and place the bearings in a freezer for an hour or so. Then the bearing will usually just about fall in. Let everything return to room temp. before riding.

Mercedes
04-13-2010, 08:53 AM
Thanks very much,just one last question. Will doing that make my oven stink when the greese gets hot??

Sorry but I had to ask before I stink up the kitchen.:D

hondaracer31
04-13-2010, 04:07 PM
I didn't say "oven". I said "hot plate", I personally use an old electric griddle.

panici33
04-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Good info. I can't remember how many times i have used a torch.

hondaracer31
04-14-2010, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by panici33
Good info. I can't remember how many times i have used a torch.

The problem with a torch is it's too easy to get hot spots, or start to melt the aluminum. The hot plate heats the whole thing up evenly. If you don't heat it evenly it can warp.

This also works for removing bearings from engine cases.