PDA

View Full Version : some help please

hazlettEX
04-12-2010, 12:37 PM
So I was changing the oil in my 400 today and as i was putting the cover back on the filter and tightening the screws, i heard a dreaded "snap." The right long screw that goes into the filter cover snapped as i was tightening it and it broke off inside and there are still threads in there. How should I get the threads out that are already screwed in?

the screw broken:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hazlettxx/4514946901/

the screw close up:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hazlettxx/4514948169/

the hole it is in:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hazlettxx/4515586160/

any help or ideas are appreciated.. im really upset about this :grr:

looking forward to some good responses guys... ill check back later.

aDviSol2y
04-12-2010, 12:44 PM
I did that same thing on the same bolt. I was able to thread the bolt back in, put some pressure on it and slowly unscrew while keeping pressure on it. The broken tip came out with the bolt.

hazlettEX
04-12-2010, 12:49 PM
I've tried that, it won't thread in at all and i can't get it to catch the other piece that is stuck in there. Any other ideas? Also where can i get a replacement one of these?

rob_990
04-12-2010, 01:00 PM
that happened to mine to.i ended up makeing some new threads and putting a bigger bolt in there but then when i took the whole cover off it was sticking out a little and i got it out.you can get a replacment for the stock bolt at your local honda shop or else your gonna have to order one or go to a hardware store

hazlettEX
04-12-2010, 01:34 PM
I'll get the bolt, thanks. I just need to figure out how to get this thing out..

dalejiw25
04-12-2010, 01:55 PM
If nothin else you could maybe clean up the end of that broken bolt and turn it back in - Looks like you got 3 or 4 threads left on it. Throw some never-seize on it and a small lock washer. Or pick up a shorter bolt. This is of course assuming that the bolt did not bust off flush with the outer end of the hole.

hazlettEX
04-12-2010, 02:13 PM
you guys think it would be possible to drill into it and tap the screw out?

aDviSol2y
04-12-2010, 02:36 PM
If your going to try and drill it out, get a reverse thread drill bit. With any luck, it might grip and start threading out. if nothing else, you can get a tap and make new threads. You will not find a bolt at a hardware store for it either, you have to get one from honda.

hazlettEX
04-13-2010, 09:12 AM
you guys think an easy out will work?

honda01400ex
04-13-2010, 09:43 AM
ok i had the same thing happen to me with the bolt on the oil lines and what i did was went to homedepot and bought a easyouy drill bit and a regular dril bit and you drill a hole in the center of the broken bolt and then take the tap put it in the hole and hot the end with a hammer pretty hard to make sure the easyout is donw in there and then put a power drill on the outside of the easyout and drill back the bolt out

it worked for me but make sure the smack that easyout down in the hole b/c you only got one good shot at it

goodluck!!

CJM
04-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Using an ez out you chance the EZ out may break off in there-and thats even worse.

Do this:
1. Get a smaller drill bit and take it easy drilling in there-use oil as lubricant and pull it out every so often and clean the bit and hole with brake or carb clean.

2. After you drill it out a bit you have a few options:

1. Tap it out for the next size using a helicoil kit that can be bought at any automotive store

2. Buy a tap for that size and make some threads in there. You may have to drill it out for a larger size or might get lucky and have drilled the bolt of small enough to fit the same size tap in there.

3. Get a time sert. Similar to a helicoil, but this is an entire insert that taps in and is very strong.

Personally I would drill it out and helicoil it.

hazlettEX
04-13-2010, 01:33 PM
thanks for the tips guys, going to give this a shot tomorrow.. ill post results.

MidnightBlade
04-13-2010, 04:33 PM
whoa just figured out your my neighbor. lol. from what i think it would be hard to get a tap in there. they arent really that long, the helicoil woudl be the best along with the reverse bit. id drill it with the reverse bit and if it dont work then helicoil it. you should be able to rent a reverse bit from the NAPA auto down there.

hazlettEX
04-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by MidnightBlade
whoa just figured out your my neighbor. lol. from what i think it would be hard to get a tap in there. they arent really that long, the helicoil woudl be the best along with the reverse bit. id drill it with the reverse bit and if it dont work then helicoil it. you should be able to rent a reverse bit from the NAPA auto down there.

where you live at? haha

MidnightBlade
04-13-2010, 05:32 PM
sidman. idnt know there was anywhere to ride in portage, not many places here in the outskirts either

hazlettEX
04-13-2010, 05:44 PM
There are plenty of trails around here that go from Blue Knob to Lilly to Beaverdale to Munster.. You can mainly find people on Sundays (the main day everyone is out) on the Lilly side by Kicks garage climbing the huge coal piles, I'm usually over there.

MidnightBlade
04-13-2010, 06:18 PM
all the trails i have around here are owned by a lawyer (sossong) and he dont let you ride there if you got a loud pipe. i got the loudest one:devil:

hazlettEX
04-14-2010, 08:50 AM
i know exactly where that is haha I've been there a couple times but like you said they frown on loud pipes.. Me and my buddy were putting in second gear and still got yelled at, saying that we were flying through there.

MidnightBlade
04-14-2010, 04:26 PM
yea they dont like you to go more than 20 MPH or so. oh and i looked at the computer maps at kicks those are some big hills, all i need to know is...is it legal?lol. if so youll prolly see me there sometime.

hazlettEX
04-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Yea, no one comes over and bothers anyone. People have been riding there for years. There are huge hillclimbs that people hit all day. There are other ways up top and there is some good fun to be had up there.

MidnightBlade
04-15-2010, 11:18 AM
alright cool, i might be up in a few weeks. im busy this weekend but maybe next week. have to see, we ride arund new germany too, but i dont know if you ever rode up there or not. good hillclimbs up there too.

dns1764
04-15-2010, 11:56 AM
same thing happened to my brothers. brought it to the dealer, $25 later it was fixed. wasnt worth messing up the case

hazlettEX
04-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by dns1764
same thing happened to my brothers. brought it to the dealer, $25 later it was fixed. wasnt worth messing up the case

I see I see.. I'd rather not give the dealer any more money.. I'm trying to get this out tomorrow, hopefully all goes well..

and @MidnightBlade I've never road up New Germany, don't know how I would possibly get there haha.

Here is the view of the piles up at Kicks, the hill right here is called Tiny.. Quads and bikes climb it, probably the biggest hill we have that quads hit, there are bigger for bikes..

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/3240/24901143288438255012461.jpg

Heres lookin at the same hill, same day, down at the bottom.. The bridge is to the left of those quads, thats my 400 btw haha.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9127/24901143288430254812461.jpg

MidnightBlade
04-15-2010, 01:39 PM
i have my mom or dad truck me up and then they go to my grandma's which is like 30 sec from where we ride. and those hills are steeper than some of the ones ive climbed, have to come up and check it out once i find some time. lol school sucks

hazlettEX
04-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Yea they are pretty gnarly, i dont climb them.. My friends have taken my quad up it haha so i know it will make it.. Mostly everyone over here has 450s and they go up it pretty decent.

MidnightBlade
04-15-2010, 02:23 PM
so your like me just go and watch other people trash their machines lol. and my stock bore 400 will climb bigger hills than some 450's ive rode with, all low and mid torque ;)

hazlettEX
04-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Yea i've seen a 400ex roll down it and seen my buddy climb it on a 300 and roll coming down cause he forgot the wheelbase wasnt as wide as his 450 lol.

MidnightBlade
04-15-2010, 04:42 PM
ill do the smaller hills and maybe the big one too, my tires are just totally bald so idk how far i will make it with them. getting new ones soon