PDA

View Full Version : stupid wheel spacers

99400esex
04-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Hey whatsup guys. Im have a question about the front brakes on my 99. The person who had owned it before had wheel spacers on it, needless to say I took them off and now im left with the extremely long bolts in the wheels to compensate for the length of the spacers. Ive been having trouble finding the stock bolts anywhere so it looks like ill order them straight from honda. But, how do I get the break disc off? I have never taken apart brakes on these machines and have no idea how to do it. The extremely long bolts in there now wont come out unless the brake disc is off. Any help is greatly appreciated.

dalejiw25
04-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Can't ya just measure the length needed and cut em off with a hacksaw or die grinder.

99400esex
04-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by dalejiw25
Can't ya just measure the length needed and cut em off with a hacksaw or die grinder.

No. There isnt enough room to cut them off

bullett
04-12-2010, 09:25 AM
To get the front rotor off you have to take the cotter pin out and take off the castle nut. The rotor is not large enough to take off and get around the hub so you have to remove the whole hub.

bullett
04-12-2010, 09:27 AM
If you're just looking to get the lug bolts out you may be able to take the 3 allen key bolts out of the rotor and see if you can slide it out of the way enough for the lug bolts to get by.

99400esex
04-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by bullett
If you're just looking to get the lug bolts out you may be able to take the 3 allen key bolts out of the rotor and see if you can slide it out of the way enough for the lug bolts to get by.

That sounds like a plan, when i pick up the new studs on wednesday ill let u know how the install goes. All of this because of them damn spacers.

rcatvrider
04-12-2010, 12:57 PM
After removing the front hubs, the brake rotor should be detachable via some allen head screws...they are extremely tight but they do come out lol. After that you can just pop the studs out and put the new ones in.

bullett
04-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by rcatvrider
After removing the front hubs, the brake rotor should be detachable via some allen head screws...they are extremely tight but they do come out lol. After that you can just pop the studs out and put the new ones in.

They are on there good so if I were you I'd get a buddy to hold the front brakes on while you're taking off the bolts. You can get to the bolts before you take the hub off which makes it alot easier.

flyboy1294
04-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by bullett
They are on there good so if I were you I'd get a buddy to hold the front brakes on while you're taking off the bolts. You can get to the bolts before you take the hub off which makes it alot easier.

Or just take the hub off and put it with the studs down into a wheel. Works pretty good when you forget to do what was mentioned above.

slightlybent47
04-12-2010, 03:35 PM
It’s a 99 year model, it’s time for the hub to come off anyway so you can check and repack the bearings.

JOHNDOE83
04-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Whats so bad about wheel spacers?

I know people say they break or bend but......

Im sure thats under extreme conditions, I ride with off set wheels, and my friend weighs 230lbs and he fliped his front rims around to make them wider and we mx'd the hell out of our quads and never had a problem.

In my opinion thats way worse then getting spacers.....if they were unsafe, why would they mass produce them and sell them to the public? "for atvs"

Im just curious as to why you dont want them so much?

I dont really like them either, but if I had some Id be using them.

rcatvrider
04-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83

Im sure thats under extreme conditions, I ride with off set wheels, and my friend weighs 230lbs and he fliped his front rims around to make them wider and we mx'd the hell out of our quads and never had a problem.

In my opinion thats way worse then getting spacers.....if they were unsafe, why would they mass produce them and sell them to the public? "for atvs"

They just put the wrong stress on parts. From my experiences they ruin wheel bearings. They were effective in increasing stability, though.

slightlybent47
04-12-2010, 06:13 PM
You have to remember that no mater if your riding trails or racing, the bike your riding is 400 + pounds and is capable of speeds up to 70mph. Why in the world would you put anything but the best parts you can afford on your machine? Your life may depend on it!
I’ve seen lots of good solid parts break under normal conditions. So putting parts on that are known to be weak is just asking for it.
It also amazes me that some people will jump on there quad and ride full blast all day and not even so much as check the oil before riding.

99400esex
04-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Well Ive been looking around at local hardware stores for the 8 studs and bolts and havent been successful. I just went to the local honda shop and they said I cannot order only the bolts, rather the whole hub assembly which really irritates me. So if anyone has these 8 studs and bolts for the front wheels please send me a PM.

tri5ron
04-14-2010, 11:37 AM
go on ebay and search "400ex front hubs"
here's a few examples...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-Honda-400ex-Front-Wheel-Hubs-Rotors-Lugs-EX-TRX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eac4b5444QQitemZ20 0459113540QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-400EX-PAIR-FRONT-BRAKE-DISC-WITH-HUB-SPORTRAX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ad8a59e3dQQit emZ390181789245QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-400EX-front-hubs-300EX-250r_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem563b68fe3cQQitemZ3 70363924028QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

bullett
04-14-2010, 11:46 AM
I'd say check napa, you may have better luck. My local napa carries a few parts for an ex. Plus I think you can use whatever lug bolt you want as long as its the same size as the stocker. If you come up unsuccessful shoot me a pm I just bought some used front hubs just for the rotors so I'd be willing to let the hubs go cheap.

slightlybent47
04-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Check your local trailer parts dealer. They have wheel studs for all kinds of things.

Scro
04-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83

Read the 4th paragraph in 400exrider707's first post.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=300433

99400esex
04-17-2010, 07:45 AM
Well its been a busy week but the wheel spacer removal project is almost done. I finally found the right size bolts and got the stupid 3 allenhead bolts out that hold the disc to the hub. Thanks in advance for the warning about how much of a pain those would be. lol.