PDA

View Full Version : 05 450r overheating help!

letsroll450
04-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Ok so yesterday i was riding, riding it hard, its a 05 with stock motor just bolt ons. I shut it off in the woods and coolent started comeing out of the overflow hose, and you could here the coolent boiling in the resivor. The fan was making a nasty noise like it was trying to run and couldnt.. So today i take the bike apart, and hook the fan up to a small battery and the fan kicked on and ran very very strong. i put it back together left it run for 20 mins and nothing, just got really hot and overheated. So it then took the thermostat out and tested it in boiling water and it is working perfect, in fact it took very little time for it to open.. I dont know what else to do, i know there is a temp switch for the fan going into the thermostat housing? I think thats what it is anyway correct me if im wrong, but i need some help.. And please no idiots saying that my tires are to low on air, if you dont know dont reply, and dont start a new thread out of mine please.

wckedclownz69
04-11-2010, 05:18 PM
there are 2 wires that look alike right near the thermostat... do you have the right one hooked up?? ive heard of people putting them backwards and the thermostat not kicking on...

letsroll450
04-11-2010, 06:43 PM
I didnt change it from factory, the only thing near the thermostat is the tem sensor that screws in from the top into the housing for the thermostat, and the wire going to that is factory, its impossible to hook it up different because the wires are built into the sensor as one piece., and im not running a thermostat anymore as of today, i took it out it serves no perpose, unless its below 30 deg. outside

wckedclownz69
04-12-2010, 05:37 AM
lol well on the 04-05 you can put them backwards.. seen it done.. and you keep your thermostat out... ill keep mine in.. good luck

Z-135
04-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Get some good aluminum cleaner and clean the radiator out. I use some cleaner that is made to clean the aluminum on pontoon boats. It works great! Take the plastic off and the fan to make sure you can get it clean. Also make sure you get behind the oil cooler. It may not look dirty but it is.

Honda4life05
04-12-2010, 08:39 PM
x2 on cleaning the radiator, and oil cooler if it's an o4-05. my fan was always kicking on, then i cleaned them and it hasn't been on since. i got alot of junk that i couldn't see.

Smoker
04-14-2010, 07:13 PM
http://secure.mycart.net/product_images/catalog2486/Engine_Ice.jpg

Never have a heat issue again.

flyjum
04-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Dont run engine ice. It does not cool that good 75% water 25% anti freeze works great. Much higher btu transfer rate then engine ice.

Sounds like you might be runing lean It will make it over heat.

Smoker
04-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Not trying to disagree but I ran Engine Ice after the first time my antifreeze/water mix puked and have never had a heat issue since. That's been my experience.

MR4Engine202
04-18-2010, 10:32 AM
the only problem with the engine ice...atomic frost and others is that its a propylene base which is corrosive...normal coolant is a ethylene base which actually has a better heat transfer rate.

i didnt like what i seen in my water jackets when i ran atomic frost

dads400ex
04-18-2010, 12:51 PM
i have had this problem on my oldest sons quad and engine ice DOES NOT work. it actually over heated worse than it did before. HV4 hoses for the radiotor seemed to help alot. Good luck with getting it fixed.

letsroll450
04-18-2010, 12:57 PM
I got it fixed the other day, my switch that goes into the thermostat housing that is the temp switch for the fan, went bad, so i just hard wired my fan up to my ignition so when i kick the quad over ad start it the fan runs when the bike runs.. Iv heard the switches go bad all the time and they are 30 dollers a pop, why buy one when you dont need it. I also took the thermostat out so i no longer run one, just one more thing to go wrong and you all should run this coolent in your bikes its probally the best you can buy on the market today

Smoker
04-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by dads400ex
i have had this problem on my oldest sons quad and engine ice DOES NOT work. it actually over heated worse than it did before. HV4 hoses for the radiotor seemed to help alot. Good luck with getting it fixed.

Huh, news to me. I'll keep using it until it doesn't work anymore. As far as the corosion, I'll have to look. Sorry I suggested it.

DnB_racing
04-19-2010, 07:20 AM
Im with you smoker I use ICE in my 06 and have since I got it and I had the head off over the winter looks like new and I went through the whole motor no corrosion any were the water pump is perfect I like engine ice but I do flush my system every winter that might have some impact on the system bieng so clean