PDA

View Full Version : big bore or stock rebuild

capt steve
04-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Howdy, I have a question someone might can aswer. I have an lt 80 that needs a top end rebuild. Would yall go with a big bore kit, or a stock rebuild with porting n polishing. I am not looking for more speed, only looking for better bottom end power and reliability.
ATV has toomy exhaust, rejetted and all restrictions removed.
ATV is riddin on trail n mud. I need bottom end for the mud.
Money is not the biggest factor, realibility is top priority.
Also, any suggestions on parts, people or places that are recomended for working with these lt 80 motors?
Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

LT80
04-12-2010, 06:39 AM
Welcome to the forums. :)
I recommens staying away from the big bore. Especialy if you want dependability.
I'd stick with a stock top.
Shave the head .030 and take the rear clutch shoes down to 180 grams each.
That should get you close to what you want IMO.

capt steve
04-12-2010, 12:12 PM
appreciate the info. Looks like you've got alot more experience with these motors than anyone I know. Your advise will be seriously taken.
I have seen advertisement from "Trinity" about a top end rebuild with port and polishing involved. Do you recommend this? Is there any company you recommend for a total top end rebuild?
Thanx: Capt Steve

seabeebuggy
04-12-2010, 08:25 PM
I would do what lt80 said

capt steve
04-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the good info, I am now going with stock rebuild, shaved head, lower sprocket gearing.

seabeebuggy
04-15-2010, 07:30 PM
My Girl is 70lbs and has a kfx80 stock everything except the a arms. She rips allover the dunes with no problems. That quad needs nothing, Shaving the head will be the next item I will do If she needs it. But that will not be for awhile.

f150dan
04-23-2010, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by seabeebuggy
I would do what lt80 said forget the port and polish. I build racing engines for sand rails and P&P helps in the 10th of seconds when racing. I may be wrong with the bikes But i think your money would be better spent on a the sand gearing over the P&P

It depends on the P&P job, it can really make a difference on almost anything. It can make a bigger difference then big bore if it's done right.

My z400 really came to life and had more power all over after a good port and polish job from my local machinist Dave. My Lt250r has some great port work done by Allen at CT racing too.

I hope some port work on the Lt80 will give it some more rpm and top end.

seabeebuggy
11-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Well time has come for more power. Back to the porting, has anyone done it here and how well did it work. I will have the head or cylinder shaved .030. Who does this work? I guess i can go to someone local but it may be better to go to someone who has done this engine many times. Is there a CDI upgrade or carb up grade? I see the 20mm carb and i also see someone ports the stock carb out. Any feedback on this?

LT80
11-26-2011, 04:01 PM
I have LT80 motors around the world.
Please email.

I can get a stock carb to rev 13k+, I think the stock carb works just fine. :D
I add a vent but I don't bore them.
I see a coil affair on ebay. Never tried it tho. I could set you up with a PVL for 500 bucks or so.. :devil:
I run the stock ignition. :)

seabeebuggy
12-02-2011, 10:55 PM
LT80 we will be doing business after Christmas. We are going to Glamis in 2 weeks. Thanks.

LT80
12-03-2011, 07:29 AM
OOOPs......