PDA

View Full Version : amsoil super shift...

jcs003
04-11-2010, 09:19 AM
i will be trying this gear oil. im told it is some of the best wet clutch oil. anyone have any feedback? at $11 a quart it better be.

rablack21
04-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Super Shift is a transmission fluid. I don't know why you would put it in the bottom end of your motor that calls for motor oil. I use Amsoil motorcycle oil 10w40 that is designed specifically for wet clutch designs. It does a great job.

jcs003
04-12-2010, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by rablack21
Super Shift is a transmission fluid. I don't know why you would put it in the bottom end of your motor that calls for motor oil. I use Amsoil motorcycle oil 10w40 that is designed specifically for wet clutch designs. It does a great job.

i dont think you understand. this is a wet clutch transmission fluid designed for this application. it says it on the bottle.

rablack21
04-12-2010, 07:05 AM
I understand what you are saying. I am very familiar with the product. However, there are components in an automatic transmission that aren't found in your atv bottom end. And there are parts found in your bottom end that aren't found in a transmission. In an automotive vehicle, the crank and rods are lubricated by motor oil, not transmission fluid. In an automatic transimission and other trans types as well are typically lubricated by transimission fluid, not motor oil. The bottom end of your motor has both components combined in a specialized manner. So why would you not use a lubricant that has additives and fortifiers for both? The perfect example for that would be the Amsoil motorcycle oil. It lubricates the crank and rod,bearings, etc. and also has additives to enhance the wet clutch. Amsoil super shift is specifically for automatic transmissions. It says it right on the website.I know because I am an Amsoil Dealer. Just trying to help ya out.

jcs003
04-12-2010, 08:00 AM
on the bottle it says otherwise. it says it is designed for wet clutch applications. im at work now and cant quote it but i know what it says or i would not have bought it.

skyhighatv
04-12-2010, 09:44 AM
The crank and rod bearings are sealed off from the trans/clutch area of the motor. The crank and rod bearings are lubricated with your pre-mix oil. You will have no problem with the ams super shift.

rablack21
04-12-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm definitely not saying that you would have a problem running it. It will run in transmissions all the way up to monster trucks. I'm just saying I don't think it would be the best choice for this particular application. I looked again and could find no recommendation for this product to be used in this application. That's all I'm saying. You are more than welcome to give it a try anyway. JCS003, not trying to give you a hard time. Just trying to help ya out.

jcs003
04-12-2010, 12:36 PM
its cool. thats why i asked the question.

here is a quote from the bottle:

"synthetic supershift lubricates and dissapates heat better for longer lasting clutch plates and fewer repairs."

Ruf Racing
04-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by skyhighatv
The crank and rod bearings are sealed off from the trans/clutch area of the motor. The crank and rod bearings are lubricated with your pre-mix oil. You will have no problem with the ams super shift.

^^ Exactly^^ There are a couple guys here that use ATF.
It works just fine. :)

bloodswet&gears
04-12-2010, 07:14 PM
If your quad is stock run stock type oil in it. I also run atf in mine. my crank & rod bearings are lubricated by the oil i put in the fuel.
rablack21 must be posting on the wrong site. either that or he doesn't know why hes mixin his fuel or is he even mixin his oil.

In order to get this thread back on track i would also like to know about different brands of atf. alot of people here say amsoil makes good products.

jcs003
04-13-2010, 01:31 AM
i did some research and found this is used alot in drag bikes. another quote from the bottle:

"supershift non-slip formula puts more torque to the wheels and helps improve ETs."

Z15
04-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Other than in a drag race application however you would be hard pressed to find any benefits in running it.