PDA

View Full Version : DRZe kit

dvx304racer
04-10-2010, 11:23 PM
what is the drze kit that everyone talks about?

twincat800
04-10-2010, 11:59 PM
I cant remember who i ordered it from but someone on here should know. It is not something you can order from ebay or your down the road shop. The DRZ 400 is the motorcyclye made by suzuki. Them engines have 1 layer base gaskets for more compression where as the quad 400s have 3 layer gaskets. With the DRZ kit you get the 1 layer gasket and a different set up for your valve springs. These valve springs consists of 2 springs (the quads have 1 spring). Its been a while since i got this kit and I think thats what you get. The 1 layer gasket for more compression, and the springs for higher revs to help the valves keep up with the rev. Where i got my kit from i think was a smaller shop and it came with the gaskets, springs, and a new D.I.D cam chain, but i made sure i upgraded the cam chain to the thicker one to support my hot cams so it wouldnt stretch out as fast, its for sure something to think about and look into.

Limited Z_400
04-11-2010, 08:57 AM
The LTZ engine is a detuned DRZ engine. If you have a stock LTZ the kit is not necessary.It is recommended if you increase your peak power range. (higher rpm)If you change the rev box,cams &increase compression ,etc. the DRZ kit(double springs) will make it more reliable.You increase the comp. 11.3:1 to 12.3:1 so can run on pump gas (91 octane).You can buy the springs and base gasket from your Suzuki dealer make sure it is for the early DRZ (2000 model)

wayne1ca
04-11-2010, 06:31 PM
I installed it on a 06 LTZ when I replaced the intake valves. Hopefully the dual springs will reduce valve bounce and extend the life of the valves. Runs fine now. We shall see.

350ex
04-12-2010, 05:58 PM
It's actually the DRZe motor that you want the parts from. Advantage Cycle has them. Its got a 1 layer base gasket, head gasket, 3/4 did timing chain, dual valve springs, a new exhaust gasket, thermostat gasket and cam chain tensioner gasket. I think thats it but I may be missing something small. This is a great easy upgrade. The bump in compression wakes the motor up quite a bit. I think it made a bigger difference than my exhaust. Plus since these are factory parts it doesn't hurt reliability. Well worth the $170.

twincat800
04-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Yeah thats who its was where i got my kit from Advantage Cycle, nice people too. I would recommend looking this place up its more than likely cheaper to get it as a kit that they put together rather than going down the road and ordering everything peice by peice.

dirtman91386
04-18-2010, 07:41 PM
so will the valves/springs from drz fit the ltz? what about the whole head? will a drz head fit a ltz jug? thanks

twincat800
04-19-2010, 02:17 AM
Well there the same engines, they just tune them down some when they put them in the quads, its the same head and everything just a different base gasket, and different valve springs... you dont change the actual valves there all the exact same. Someone correct me if im wrong.

Limited Z_400
04-19-2010, 07:32 PM
the camshafts are also different.The drz revs higher so the rev box is also different hence the double springs which prevents valve floating.

dirtman91386
04-19-2010, 08:45 PM
so would hot cams for a drz be more aggressive that hot cams for a ltz?

airmobile101
04-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Don't forget the DRZ has a lighter flywheel.;)

350ex
04-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by dirtman91386
so would hot cams for a drz be more aggressive that hot cams for a ltz?

The hotcam is the same for the drz and the ltz. Hotcam is more aggressive than either. Does anyone know what the stock rev limit is on the drze? I havent even turned up my cdi yet. It doesnt seem like it makes enough power up top to be beneficial. I havent touched the ignition timing on it either yet so that might help. I'm runnin a tank of gas through it on the new rings before Im too hard on it.