PDA

View Full Version : Something to think about when buying gas...

chucked
04-10-2010, 07:28 PM
I've always thought about this, but never actually thought ALOT about it until yesterday when I bought a YFZ that requires gas higher then regular grade. When you go to a gas station and it has 1 hose that does all 3 grades of gas.... What if the person before you bought regular, you need high test. How much regular from the last person is in the hose until you start getting premium... I never tested this until yesterday... I don't know if anyone has ever noticed, but Royal Farms high test has a blueish tint to it, and the regular is more yellow... Well I started pumping my high test that was about 30 cents more a gallon then regular into a can... The gas had the yellowish tint to it, then maybe a gallon or so into it I could actually see the color of the fuel change over to blue... I've only done this once, and I may try this test again, But if I go riding tomorrow I'm going to a gas station that has a separate hose for each individual grade.... It wouldn't be that big of an issue, but when I'm only buying 2 gallons of gas it could be the difference between the engine running right or not...

motohanks
04-10-2010, 07:34 PM
we usually pump a bit of the high grade into the truck before filling up the gas cans for exactly that reason.

Canadian144
04-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Never thought about this, but it is an excellent point!

The "regular" place that I fill up at usually has separate lines for each grade of gas, but once or twice I have filled up at places "out in the country" where it's just one line for all 3 grades. Will have to think about this the next time I'm filling up out there.

J.Brown121
04-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Never thought about it like that. I'll keep this in mind when fueling up the quad.

KAWIRYDER
04-11-2010, 12:18 AM
The way the pumps are supposed to work is they have a siphoning system that draws the leftover gas back into the tanks.:D

juice420
04-11-2010, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by KAWIRYDER
The way the pumps are supposed to work is they have a siphoning system that draws the leftover gas back into the tanks.:D \
Exactly!!!! Do you guys really think their gonna give you the gas leftover in the hose from the last person for free?!?!

chucked
04-11-2010, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by KAWIRYDER
The way the pumps are supposed to work is they have a siphoning system that draws the leftover gas back into the tanks.:D

but what about the fuel in the hose from the siphon to the nozzle?

KAWIRYDER
04-11-2010, 11:00 AM
It is supposed to siphon the fuel from the dispencer so there shouldn't be any fuel left in he hose. Theoretically!

spdygonzalez450
04-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Thats why i run my quad on 100 octane. no need to worry about that :D

ZBlaster
04-11-2010, 02:56 PM
No need for me to worry, my gas gets pumped out of a 55 gallon drum.:D