PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on this oil tank

hjsmith00843
04-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Is it worth the $$ they are asking for this. I like the looks of it.

Holds a extra quart of oil as well. Makes oil changes a little more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CFM-Aluminum-Oil-Tank-Cooler-Honda-TRX-400EX-TRX400EX_W0QQitemZ160419183236QQcmdZViewItemQQptZM otors_ATV_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2559ba7a84

hjsmith00843
04-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Or would it be better to get a bigger cooling rad. and installing a fan on it.

slightlybent47
04-10-2010, 07:00 PM
I have one similar to that one but mine has tubes threw it to aid in cooling.
Mine retailed for 300+ but I got it for 80 bucks threw a friend. Best 80 bucks I have spent in a long time. I run a 416 with heavy mods down here in the Texas heat with no problems.
http://i44.tinypic.com/eao8i8.jpg

hjsmith00843
04-10-2010, 07:11 PM
I really like that tank. I dont do hard riding or anything but I would like the peace of mind that my motor is not getting too hot.

rcatvrider
04-10-2010, 07:18 PM
That tank is sweet, any idea what brand it is?

lynfrm
04-10-2010, 07:50 PM
i really like the tank with the holes through it. another option i was looking at was they make a small radiator that flows trans fluid thro it but u could have ur oil flow thro it to cool it and just loop the coolant

Xplorer99
04-10-2010, 10:33 PM
looks pretty nice, the more oil the better i think, but thats just me, im going to be getting one... all tho im sure a spal fan would be way better for keeping the motor cool.
its just going to take a little bit longer for all the oil to get hot with the extra quart. i think they are a good idea, along with a fan.

do these use stock dipstick? i wanna get the XR Only's temperature dipstick

slightlybent47
04-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by rcatvrider
That tank is sweet, any idea what brand it is?

No I have no clue as to the brand. There was a guy in the org. I ride in that is a genius with the ex. He did the build on mine and one day when I was in his shop I asked about the larger tank for my build and thats when he reached in a box and pulled it out and said “you mean like this one”. lol!
As it turned out someone else got it for a build but did not use it. He called the guy and asked if he’d sell and I got it for 80 bucks. He told me he paid 300+ but I have my doubts about that, but 80 bucks to me was a deal. Turns out that tank saved a new build but that another story.
I’d say that one looks good though, it don’t have the tubs through it but that just means it will hold just a tad bit more oil then mine, which may be just as good. I’d say go for it.

slightlybent47
04-10-2010, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Xplorer99
looks pretty nice, the more oil the better i think, but thats just me, im going to be getting one... all tho im sure a spal fan would be way better for keeping the motor cool.
its just going to take a little bit longer for all the oil to get hot with the extra quart. i think they are a good idea, along with a fan.

do these use stock dipstick? i wanna get the XR Only's temperature dipstick

I agree, the oil has to both lube and cool on the ex so the more the better. A fan would help as well, I may do that to but I have had no issues with just using the tank.
But bear in mind that I ride like I race and I generally stay out on the track for anywhere from 15-45 minuets at a time on a mx track but I do put a fan on the bike immediately after I stop when it's very hot out. In the summer they will continue to heat up even after you stop. At that point it has no air to cool it down, so I use a fan.

rcatvrider
04-11-2010, 07:05 AM
I'm getting a spal fan first on a stock oil cooler, but if I ever have the money kicking around this would be another option.

woodsracer144
04-11-2010, 09:01 AM
that oil tank with holes in it im sure is a OMF tank. my buddys dad had one on his 99...

JOHNDOE83
04-11-2010, 09:11 AM
If my turbo project works out well, Im going to get a bigger oil tank like that, along with the trans oil cooler, and a spal fan.

I may or may not keep my original oil cooler? havent decided yet.

wild250rman
04-11-2010, 09:12 AM
I have bought a 400ex air box and a 05 trx 450r air box from them WOW what a difference it made. very top quality, fit well looked great worked as claimed. would not be scarred to buy any products from cfm performance.

lynfrm
04-11-2010, 04:30 PM
i think i am going to pick the oil tank up and maybe a airbox later