PDA

View Full Version : 450x or 450r for xc???

akrowdieEX
04-10-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm buyin a yfz very soon. I'm buying it for xc racing and was wondering what model to go with. I know the x is two inches narrower for woods but I think the handling of the r would be better.. With the r I could fit thru anything a Suzuki can I think? Any input will help

XCRacer236
04-10-2010, 12:59 PM
standard YFZ with the carb!

akrowdieEX
04-10-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm goin with the fuel injection but I'm wondering about width

coryatver
04-10-2010, 02:47 PM
standard carb yfz!!!!! new one is horrible for xc racing. just look at the yamaha riders they got carbs on them. But it is not cheap you have to replace the wire harness flywheel, gas tank and all that stuff. Also yamaha messed up the frame caster so it handles horrible for the woods. They run suzuki front ends spindles/hubs/brakes to make it better along with a castor bracket and aftermarket a-arms. Also the rear linkage progression ratio is to harsh for xc and you will need to replace both with aftermarket linkages

Get a standard yfz and get some shock revalves and you got a xc killer.

akrowdieEX
04-10-2010, 04:18 PM
stay away from the r?

02bwraptor
04-11-2010, 09:20 AM
I have the 09 yfz450r. I love it compared to my 04 yfz450. I bought the r cause I saved around 1500 compared to the x. Yes it starts slower but I think the gytr/ msd commander will help that.
I have gt thunder a arms with cecco brackets, hls front shocks and Gt thunder Rear Shock Conversion (Pro) with pro daul link. It measures around 46.5 in width with 4:1 hipers.

02bwraptor
04-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by akrowdieEX
stay away from the r?

Why?
Most people are going to change the a arms anyway.

XCRacer236
04-11-2010, 09:48 AM
the R's and X's are junk. stay away from them. Ballance and Kiser and Sommers are all running Carbs on their's. the handling on them is horrible and they can't get them to run right with the FI.

Pack
04-11-2010, 10:04 AM
I disagree. If you're wanting fuel injection, the 450X is built for XC racing. The R is the same thing, only wider.

I can't picture either one of them being "junk".. I've read nothing but good reviews on them.

Go with the X.

02bwraptor
04-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by XCRacer236
the R's and X's are junk. stay away from them. Ballance and Kiser and Sommers are all running Carbs on their's. the handling on them is horrible and they can't get them to run right with the FI.

If they are junk why is Johny Gallagher, Brandon Sommers, Walker Fowler, and Traci Cecco running one with fuel injection? If you don't believe me look at this post.http://www.********forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37655 Don't listen to him I race one in cross country and mine runs flawless and handles very well.

Type in qu adzone for the astrics.

akrowdieEX
04-12-2010, 08:43 AM
thanks raptor

02bwraptor
04-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Your welcome. If you are not going to change the a arms and front shocks get the x.

coryatver
04-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Pack

I can't picture either one of them being "junk".. I've read nothing but good reviews on them.
Go with the X.

money talks.

Originally posted by 02bwraptor
Yes it starts slower but I think the gytr/ msd commander will help that.
I have gt thunder a arms with cecco brackets, hls front shocks and Gt thunder Rear Shock Conversion (Pro) with pro daul link. It measures around 46.5 in width with 4:1 hipers.

you have around $5,000 just in aftermarket parts just to get it into race form. Sure its a great quad when you change everything on it lol.

The old yfz all it needs is stock shock rebuilds and it is an awesome xc quad.

02bwraptor
04-13-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
money talks.

you have around $5,000 just in aftermarket parts just to get it into race form. Sure its a great quad when you change everything on it lol.

The old yfz all it needs is stock shock rebuilds and it is an awesome xc quad.

I have less than $2000 in suspension work. Sponsors help a lot. Everyone knows that the yfz's lower a arms bend easy so you will change out the a arms, the back shock bucks bad so you will need to change the link, and the seat is not that soft. I raced a 04 yfz450 for 3 years before I bought my 09 yfz450r so I know the differnce between the both.

Johnny Minehan
04-13-2010, 02:19 PM
I bought the R when it first came out, I was the first one around here to have one, and sure as *****, a few weeks later, they came out with the X:rolleyes:. GT Thunder everything and 4:1 rims and i am narrow enough for all local and gnccs, and still have a good stability feeling with it. If i had to do it all over again, i would still get the R :devil:

Dont really know what you guys are talkin about puttin carbs on you fuel injected quads, yeah, it starts faster, etc, but most of us aren't up to the level where an extra .5 seconds makes a whole lot of difference. Keep it simple, keep it fuel injected ;)

akrowdieEX
04-13-2010, 03:25 PM
thatd be awesome to just go with that setup but i wont have the funds for those add ons right away so i'm leanin toward the x

monster400ex
04-18-2010, 06:37 PM
i just picked up an x and i dont have any issues with it it is a flawless bike i had moved the handle bars closer and its fine the only thing i dont like about it is the low bars and the high pegs but it is very fixable

coryatver
04-18-2010, 07:06 PM
I raced a 04 yfz450 for 3 years before I bought my 09 yfz450r so I know the differnce between the both.

The 04 yfz was junk I am talking about the 06+ model

Vampire2800
04-18-2010, 08:57 PM
From experience on both quads, I can tell you that the R handles better & is not a rough on trails as the X is. A widened suspension allows for more travel of the shocks which dampens some of the impact (college physics). On the other side, the X can hook up coming out of turns faster than the R will because you can't turn as tight with the X. I went with the R because I don't really care about turns that much. If I can't fit through it, I go around it. I love the fuel injection compared to my carb yfz450. There is NO bog! The throttle is instantaneous. If you push the throttle, there power is there........It's just there. Make your own decision, but ride each one first. The dealer wont let you ride them, but find people who owns each one & go test them for yourself. I did & the pros outweighed the cons for the R in my case. The main selling point on the R for me was the added stability. Wider = More Stable & harder to flip. Plus, you don't have gas leaking out of the carb when you stunt like you do with the older ones.

P.S.- If you're gonna be a bear, be the biggest/baddest m----- f----- in the woods!

400grl
04-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Wow - Coryatver - you are bashing my two favorite race machines ever! I ran a 2004 YFZ450 for YEARS - racing WORCS, MX, and duning it every weekend.....it was an amazing machine, and it ran flawlessly for me! I didn't think I'd like anything more than my YFZ, until I bought my YFZR!

The only forum that says anything negative about the R or X is ********.....and honestly, most of that is simply members repeating what they have heard another member say at some point. If you really want to know how these machines run, you need to talk to the people who own them, and who have ridden/raced them and have actual experience with them.

To say the machines are junk is rediculous. For one thing, Yamaha doesn't MAKE junk.....they are one of the best manufacturers out there and are always at the forefront of the ATV industry.

Are there some aftermarket parts that people put on their X's and R's and 450's to make them better? YES - hence the reason we have an aftermarket industry......

I personally have only added nerf bars, a pipe, a controller and a steeringg dampner to my YFZR, and it's been on the podium a number of times. It's such a great machine in stock form, that it just doesn't need that much to be competitive - unless you are racing in the Pro class - then it's EVERY second counts, and it would be worth it to put more money into the machine to eek out every tiny bit of power.

Also, to discredit reviews from magazines or e-zines is also a bit rediculous - as an offroad editor myself, I test machines and give my HONEST opinion about them - as do my fellow editors! I don't get paid or bribed or swayed to write ANYthing......I have never known ANY OEM to ever even hint about how I should write my reviews - and that goes for every editor I know.

The YFZR and the YFZX are two great machines.....I think you will be fine buying either one of them. Good luck!

XCRacer236
04-26-2010, 08:10 PM
If they are junk why is Johny Gallagher, Brandon Sommers, Walker Fowler, and Traci Cecco running one with fuel injection? If you don't believe me look at this post.http://www.********forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37655 Don't listen to him I race one in cross country and mine runs flawless and handles very well.

Type in qu adzone for the astrics.

lmao. cause they are all running CARBS on them! built by GTT!

02bwraptor
04-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Did you read the post. Brandon sommers was running a carb last year but is running fuel injection this year. This is what laz sommers ( The owner of gt thunder) said in the post.

The Power Commander V is the best one available to the public that I have tested to date with our or GYTR programming. I know Johnny Gallager had a few problems with them and chose the run the HMF one and had good luck with it.

The MSD one will definatly be a step up from that. I dont know how soon it will be available or what the price is. I believe Walker Fowler is racing with that one right now.

I have been working with Performance Electronics on their new ECU. It allows us to controll everything we could ask for. The production ones should be done some time this summer but they will be very expensive. Johhny Gallagher and Brandon raced this one at Georgia.

02bwraptor
04-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by XCRacer236
lmao. cause they are all running CARBS on them! built by GTT!

This site is full of people that think they know something. That is why I don't come to this site that much. I come to sites to help people. I have owned a 1999 warrior, 2002 raptor, 2001 400ex, 2004 yfz450, 2006 z400 and 2009 yfz450r so I have had my share of quads. I do all my wrenching. I am done venting. later

XCRacer236
04-27-2010, 03:44 PM
lol. i do not care how many quads you have owned. that has nothing to do with what Ballance Racing Yamaha is running.

And its funny cause i was talking to a guy that grew up with Ballance and was at the OMA race with Kiser and Ballance told Yamaha he would NOT run that EFI til they get it figured out. Also, that Sommers and Gallager are not Ballance Racing. Only Ballance, Kiser, Cecco and Fowler are. THEY run carbs. i believe in my first post i stated that Sommers was running a carb. i believe he was. maybe not now. but Ballance racing is NOT.

what it comes down to is the Standard YFZ is the BEST quad for XC. and theres TONS of guys out there that will stand by that.

coryatver
04-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Did you read the post. Brandon sommers was running a carb last year but is running fuel injection this year. This is what laz sommers ( The owner of gt thunder) said in the post.

Yes He is running efi this year. and what do you know the fuel pump went out and he DNF'd last race. And he also has said the reason he is running the EFI is yamaha is forcing him too. Just look at donny ockerman. He was a yamaha factory racer last year on the yfzr/x this year he has a choice and is back on the original! Only people that race the yfzr/x do it becuase they are paid to. The original one is 10 times the xc quad as the new one.

XCRacer236
04-28-2010, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
Yes He is running efi this year. and what do you know the fuel pump went out and he DNF'd last race. And he also has said the reason he is running the EFI is yamaha is forcing him too. Just look at donny ockerman. He was a yamaha factory racer last year on the yfzr/x this year he has a choice and is back on the original! Only people that race the yfzr/x do it becuase they are paid to. The original one is 10 times the xc quad as the new one.

thank you!