jcs003
04-10-2010, 07:07 AM
this looks like a good system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do2zYHwp78Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jijW310xvp4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWxYK3VFysw

250rPRIDE
04-10-2010, 08:15 AM
WOW!!!! that hts 2000 looks amazing but its so hard to believe..:eek2: are you going to try some and post a review?
only thing is i never heard of anthing working that good, and a close friend of mine has a fab shop with $5000 water cooled alum welders, anything you can image hes got, i dont know much about it though, but if this stuff work as good as the demo shows it'll put him out of business....

IcutMetl
04-10-2010, 08:21 AM
That's actually somewhat of a BRAZING process, not welding. There's no fusion of the parent material, and a propane torch isn't going to soften a substantial piece of aluminum. What's happening is just like an iron or steel brazing process; the grain structure and pores of the parent material are expanded to the point that the filler rod "fluxes" it's way into the material. You can get some pretty crazy strength thru brazing, and it's more shock resistant in a lot of cases than welds. Definitely a viable alternative for guys who don't have access or skills with a tig welder. I've seen demos with that stuff at M.C. shows...pretty interesting!

jcs003
04-10-2010, 08:31 AM
i am definitly going to try it. i just found a crack where my case sits close to the swingarm pivot. i just called a local welding supply.(skyoxygen) and they said it is good stuff. they actually sell a similiar product made by "atlas" and it apparently better at $30 a rod it better be.

the man said a propane torch is all that is needed and just to not put the flame directly where the case half gasket is and it should work out good.

we shall see.

250rPRIDE
04-10-2010, 11:58 AM
heck yeah please post a full review and keep us updated, with before during and after pics if you can.. i cant wait to see how it works.

TLR-Online
04-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Seems neat! Let us know how it goes..

woodsracer144
04-11-2010, 01:49 PM
30 BUCKS A FREAKING ROD!!!! :eek2: I'll stick with my alum welders.... on the one set up i an do alum, SS and steel! :devil:

just make sure when you do do it your pre heat your case up a bit to burn off all your old oil and gas and crap off, i found that out the hard way, i was doing a case repaire on my 250r and the weld would bubble and then i stunk like burnt oil, ground the crappy weld off and heated it up to burn it off and sure enough did the trick.

jcs003
04-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
30 BUCKS A FREAKING ROD!!!! :eek2: I'll stick with my alum welders.... on the one set up i an do alum, SS and steel! :devil:

just make sure when you do do it your pre heat your case up a bit to burn off all your old oil and gas and crap off, i found that out the hard way, i was doing a case repaire on my 250r and the weld would bubble and then i stunk like burnt oil, ground the crappy weld off and heated it up to burn it off and sure enough did the trick.

thanks woodracer. a friend of mines dad actually has some of these rods left from something so he will give me one. this is nice of him. why did they have to make these cases out of junk aluminum.

the only other bikes i have came across that have common case failures is the 90s RM dirt bikes(suzuki).

as for the fragile cases, honda atc/trx/cr bikes are the most reliable.

woodsracer144
04-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
thanks woodracer. a friend of mines dad actually has some of these rods left from something so he will give me one. this is nice of him. why did they have to make these cases out of junk aluminum.

the only other bikes i have came across that have common case failures is the 90s RM dirt bikes(suzuki).

as for the fragile cases, honda atc/trx/cr bikes are the most reliable.

yeah i think i would buy him a beer... or something haha!

as far as fragile cases goes when ever the chain is broke i dont blame the case or the quad i blame the owner who didnt keep up on his stuff... trans gears are a little different but i have been riding for over 10 years now and i've never broke a single chain or thrown one... so i blame all the broken cases on people who didnt keep up with their stuff... ;)

jcs003
04-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
yeah i think i would buy him a beer... or something haha!

as far as fragile cases goes when ever the chain is broke i dont blame the case or the quad i blame the owner who didnt keep up on his stuff... trans gears are a little different but i have been riding for over 10 years now and i've never broke a single chain or thrown one... so i blame all the broken cases on people who didnt keep up with their stuff... ;)

i never broke a chain, case, blew a motor or trans. however, i did bust a clutch basket when replacing plates.lol. i was a teenager at the time and was impatient in getting the correct and the rest is history.lol

but yes. my friends dad is a good guy. we all hunt together and he always stuck up for us when the neighbors complained about us riding on the street on our way to the trails. which is only down the street from our parents houses.

woodsracer144
04-11-2010, 06:15 PM
i just i have good luck with cracking sockets, i broke a bold on in the clutch hub once and then i tent to strip bolt holes every now and then... mainly from taking bolts in and out 10000 times in a week...