View Full Version : Rough idle and hard to start after cam mod

chucked
04-10-2010, 04:58 AM
I just bought a new 2007 left over yesterday. I put about 3 hours on it then did the cam mod and zip tie mod after the same time. The mods definitely made an impressive power increase, but it's harder to start and idles a lot rougher then when it was factory. If this is normal I'm ok with that. Just want to check with others first, I have no experience with the yfz.

chucked
04-10-2010, 05:01 AM
Also, my head pipe glows BRIGHT RED HOT after running it. Never seen one glow this bright before! Could it use a fattening up from the factory?

florentino
04-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by chucked
I just bought a new 2007 left over yesterday. I put about 3 hours on it then did the cam mod and zip tie mod after the same time. The mods definitely made an impressive power increase, but it's harder to start and idles a lot rougher then when it was factory. If this is normal I'm ok with that. Just want to check with others first, I have no experience with the yfz.

its your jeting!!! you will need bigger jets main pilot. and you a pipe to run better .. and make sure you are runnig 91 or 95 will help your bike run cooler. but you have to say all your mods and where you at for the jets

chucked
04-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Nevermind

chucked
04-10-2010, 07:13 PM
I went out on the air fuel screw about a half a turn and raised the needle up a tad. The bike is all stock except for wHat I mentioned

quadrider2112
04-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Man hes right you needa go up on the main and prolly the pilot to i wood start at 165 main and check plug and go from there. prolly go to a 45 pilot too.

chucked
04-11-2010, 10:23 AM
I said I fixed it :huh

standardryder
04-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by chucked
I said I fixed it :huh

These things crave fuel from the factory, doing the cam mod makes it worse. You didnt fix your problem, just covered it up.

chucked
04-11-2010, 01:05 PM
No sense rejetting it now. New pipe is on the way.

412yfzfanatic
04-12-2010, 06:20 AM
well with that new pipe your gonna want to rejet. just screwing around with mine before i put in the high comp piston and stage three cams i put on a full LRD exhaust and needed rejetted. so you having a cam mod and the new exhaust are gonna have some problems. and its bad if you run your fuel mixture too lean

chucked
04-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Yea i got some jets coming

quadrider2112
04-13-2010, 06:30 PM
what kinda pipe u gettin. you can see what i have on my signature. Im running 2nd clip on vitos needle
175main
45 pilot
2 turns out on screw depending on temp.
this setup will get u close I live in arkansas so elevation may be a factor though.

chucked
04-14-2010, 05:49 AM
Bug gun evo. What are ricky stator upper a arms?

04-14-2010, 04:16 PM
You may have fixed the idle but it's running lean as hell. Gonna burn that piston up if you don't rejet it.

quadrider2112
04-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Ricky stator is the stator and electrical guy.He is in atv magazine adds. He sales stators and stuff but he also has a few a arms for raptor and yfz i think. I bought mine so long ago i dont remember if he makes yfz arms or if he make wider ones. My raptor ones are stock width, chromoly and have adjustable camber. He only makes uppers and i have a million hours on mine with no problems at all. Got mine new on ebay.

chucked
04-16-2010, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by quadrider2112
Ricky stator is the stator and electrical guy.He is in atv magazine adds. He sales stators and stuff but he also has a few a arms for raptor and yfz i think. I bought mine so long ago i dont remember if he makes yfz arms or if he make wider ones. My raptor ones are stock width, chromoly and have adjustable camber. He only makes uppers and i have a million hours on mine with no problems at all. Got mine new on ebay.

Yea I knew they sold stators. Never knew he sold a arms. I thought it was a joke.l

chucked
04-27-2010, 10:35 AM
pipe is on, got a 170 main in her, a weird needle I had laying around that is halfway between stock and the ncvq, its a ncvk or something. I think it was out of a crf250x I worked on... She runs like a bat out of hell now! Torque monster! Waiting on my dang 45 pilot to come in the 42 is too lean. No one sells jets around here anymore....