PDA

View Full Version : new to the family 87' lt80

xcracer416
04-09-2010, 09:31 PM
well my story on this lt is sorta mind blowing. I swapped out some diesel work for a guy who didnt have alot cash to spend at my dealership for repairs. I told the guy i would fix it at my shop if he had something of equal value to the labor i was providing. Knowing this guy to have rode and raced MX on bikes for years, hee offered me a LT 80 that is like new still. I ask him if it runs and he said it did when his grand daughter parked it. so i go and look at it before i ever work on his truck, it looked like a basket case to start with. but on the bright side it had no cracks in the seat plastics are all original and they still had all the factory stickers. the bad part was he had it on a work bench with the rear plastics off, lower airbox cover, motor cover, exhaust off laying beside it.

i asked him what the deal was with it like that and he said he put a top end in it LAST year and just started it pn the table after he finished putting the engine together and it hasnt been put fully together since that day. it hasnt moved off the workbench since that day either.

i figure what the hay, im gonna have almost $200 worth of labor to trade it sounds fair. i got it home today, i pulled the carb off and took it apart. it was full of two stroke oil, I then let it set in my ultrasonic cleaner for about two hours. the carb is clean as a new one now.

i installed the carb, left the exhaust off, put new gas with klots premix 40:1. It hit once but that was it, i pulled the plug and it was soaked. I put a new plug in it and it hit once again, pulled the plug and it was wet again.

that got me wondering since the carb was full of premix, if the lower engine was. i pulled the reedcage and used a video borescope, it looked fine but couldnt really see the best. the reeds looked to be flush against the cage.

it needs a battery, i was using the pull cord to try to start it. i have the oil injection temporarily unhooked with the hose on the carb plugged.

i need help guys. im gonna try to get a compresson test when i go back to my shop tomorrow. does it need a battery to start? the foot brake is set, key on, kill switch in the run position.

im good at fourstrokes not two strokes, so im gonna need some advice.

LT80
04-10-2010, 07:36 AM
It's deff flooded. Hold the throttle wide open till it starts and cleans out.
No, it don't need a battery to start.:)

xcracer416
04-10-2010, 06:26 PM
how visible should the spark be on the plug? i know my 400 and 450r is a big bright blue. this one has a small blue spark

xcracer416
04-11-2010, 01:26 PM
just an update. what i thought was a weak flame on the spark plug must have been my imagineation. the quad isnt firing like i thought. i used a battery charger on it while i was spinning it while holding the throttle wide open. is it possible something caused it to quit firing while i done this? it would hit like it wanted to start before the new battery. anyway how can i test the coil and stator? is there a cdi or points?

xcracer416
04-12-2010, 05:04 PM
well since there was no fire coming to the sparkplug anymore i knew it had to be the condnser coil, flywheel, or the coil itself. I figured since i know alot about vehicle electrical systems, that any 12volt coil should work if wired correctly. i took the coil off my rincon and hooked the black/red wire to the coil and grounded the coil itself to the frame. it is still no firing. I would like some input guys on how to test the ignition system.

LT80
04-13-2010, 07:27 AM
You use a ohm tester to check the stator and cdi/coil.
Sorry, I don't know the specs.