PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new quad, 450r for a non-racer?

Mattjns93
04-09-2010, 08:04 PM
First off, I don't race. However, I do ride a bit of everything else. Woods, trails, small jumps, fields, mud, creeks, brush, etc. I need some that can go anywhere I need it to for the most part. Also, I need something reliable and that can be ridden a bit rough. Nothing that has to be babied. Also, to give a bit of a description of me, I'm not a nutcase on quads. I don't go on huge jumps or stuff like that, I just LOVE speed. Nothing like ripping out of the woods and spitting up dust everywhere behind ya

This leads me to my problem, I initially planned on upgrading to a 400ex but then I realized I'm probably going to want more power out of it. The deal with my dad is that if I get rid of my loud quad now (or put a stock exhaust on it, but that defeats the purpose of getting more power) I can buy whatever quad I want that has a stock/quiet exhaust. So that kind of limits what I can do to a 400ex.

Is the 450r really a trail bike by any means? I know it will RIP a ton more compared to a 400ex, but enough to justify actually spending money? If I sell my quad and get an older 400ex, I won't have to spend a penny.

Lastly, is it true this thing has as much maintenance as people say? I understand the 2 oil changes, but do I really need to clean my filter every time I ride and rebuild my engine frequently? (Hell, I've never even done that!)

If I can be nearly guaranteed that a stock 450r will be reliable, with a reasonable amount of maintenance, and is suitable for my style of riding, I'll gladly wait the extra few months to save up the difference in cash for it. If not, I'd probably just grab a 400ex. I just don't feel a 400ex will satisfy my power hunger (especially after driving my friend's banshee and yfz).

Thank you everyone

nskukalek79
04-10-2010, 11:23 AM
The 450r will need its oil changed more often than a 400ex because it only holds less than a quart of oil, and the air filter does not need cleaned every ride unless your riding in some nasty areas where it will clog it up with mud. as for reliability, my 450r lasted a lot longer than my 400ex. my 450r never failed me yet and it's an 04...the only thing i have on it is a pipe and it rips...i'm not sure how it is with a stock pipe...i cant remember what that was like lol too long ago

Mattjns93
04-10-2010, 07:05 PM
How big is the difference going to be with a 400ex vs a 450r? Especially when I'm ripping out of the woods and straight in our fields. Also, I'm riding with a banshee (with around $2k into it) and a yfz, so will the 450r be a big difference?

2muchquad
04-10-2010, 07:12 PM
A 450r even stock is gonna be faster than a 400ex but the 400ex is gonna be more woods friendly and easier to ride.

04-10-2010, 11:36 PM
From owning both and still currently owning both, the 400ex can chug along. I absolutely hate riding behind some of my buddies with 400s cause I have to either ride the clutch or putt without stalling, pull in the clutch and wait for them to get ahead then putt again lol The 400ex deffinately turns sharper and IMO is a lot more trail friends. The 450r is a blast but is more for trail blazin and going fast.

Mattjns93
04-11-2010, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
From owning both and still currently owning both, the 400ex can chug along. I absolutely hate riding behind some of my buddies with 400s cause I have to either ride the clutch or putt without stalling, pull in the clutch and wait for them to get ahead then putt again lol The 400ex deffinately turns sharper and IMO is a lot more trail friends. The 450r is a blast but is more for trail blazin and going fast.
That's what I've been told. On the trails there is no clear winner but when it opens up, the 450r clearly has the edge. The problem is, I'm not just riding trails. I live on a farm, so maybe 1/2 of my riding is in the fields. There, the yfz and banshee would leave me and my 400ex in the dust. However, it does seem that the 400ex would be better for the rest of the riding I do. Maybe I should just leave it up to a test drive.

strokerinc83
04-11-2010, 09:23 AM
I have a 07 450r and a 07 400ex. The 450 requires alot more maintenance. Must keep valves adjusted or it will be really hard too start. the 450 the clutch is alot more touchy. Real easy too stall. The 400ex's are near bulletproof. The reverse is a major plus. They turn sharper. Also the 450r will tire you out way faster than a 400ex.
Id get the 400ex and take the extra money you saved and make it a 416 or a 440.

450R NOOB
04-11-2010, 12:30 PM
I've never idden a 400ex but I always hear the power differance is huge. The only thing bad about maintenace on the 450 is that it uses shims. You'll want to buy a shim kit from Hot cams or something and that's about $90. Check your valves after a few rides which takes about 30 minutes and adjust if you have to which ends up taking maybe 45 minutes to an hour. Not that big of a deal. If you stick with the stock cam, which i wouldn't, you'll hardly ever have to adjust the valves. Check your air filter after every ride, if it's firty clean with soapy water and let dry over night. Spray with filter oil before putting it back in. That's basically all there is to maintenance. Cahnge your engine oil after every 2-3 rides and tranny every other engine oil change and you'll be good to go.