PDA

View Full Version : Quad still won't start

Quadfather
01-28-2003, 02:55 PM
My quad has sat for about two months, due to adding new shocks, swingarm, ect......

At first I thought it was the Sparks rev box. I bought a new stock CDI, and the carb is getting gas. It just cranks and cranks, and finally the battery goes dead. I've recharged it three times, with the same reults. It doesn't take long to drain it. A couple times, it sounded as though it was gonna start, and just when you think you're going for a ride, it goes back to that hollow cranking sound, where you can tell it isn't going to.

Also, my plug cap/wire sets on the plug rather loosely. After the battery was about 1/2 wore down, I pulled the plug (new) and held it against the headpipe, and saw no spark.

Any ideas? I want to ride the darn thing, but don't want to pay the dealer $60/hr if it's something stupid, like me.

nakomis0
01-28-2003, 03:02 PM
Are you sure there is no spark? Sometimes its hard to see, especially if its weak from a dead battery.

Hold the plug in your hand and push the start button, Let us know if you get shocked or not.:blah

Its ran before you but shocks on it right? I'm thinking it might be doing the same thing my bike is doing right now. A combination of bad gas, and cold weather leaning it out. But if your absolute sure ya got no spark, then its something else.

250exen
01-28-2003, 03:11 PM
i know this is kinda stupid but it has happened to me two times:huh
BUTTTT are you absoultly positive you have good gas. sometimes it looks like you have gas but you dont. turn it on reserve if you havent tried yet
i know this is also kind of stupid but your spark plug has to have a certain distence between the electrodes. if they were wrong, and you put it in it kinda ruiens(sp) the spark plug(i think atleast it happened to me). so i would also check that

ide also try all the stupid stuff that you "overthink"

300exazzkikr
01-28-2003, 04:06 PM
Once you get spark you could always roll start it. Sometimes it works better if its been sitting for a long time. Plus it's almost guaranteed to start.

NoWingNoPrayer
01-28-2003, 05:02 PM
Might Be your Stator

Pappy
01-28-2003, 05:09 PM
charge that battery fully!!! if ya aint gettin good spark she wont fire!!! and it needs a good shot of fire from the battery!!

forum
01-28-2003, 06:40 PM
bad gas. drain it from your carb and tank. gas can go bad in a month sometimes.

Quadfather
01-28-2003, 07:15 PM
That's what I am going to try in the next day or two. I got to thinking, and the last time I fueled it up was in September. I get that different change in exhaust sound, like it's going to start, but it doesn't.

Wingnut
01-28-2003, 07:47 PM
Have you had the front fenders off lately? If you have then try hitting the kill switch and see if the lights come on.