PDA

View Full Version : exhaust leak at header/cylinder. Tips?

mcwilly
04-09-2010, 12:27 PM
This leak has plagued me since we've had the quad. I've tried different gaskets, gasket maker, different pipe, lock-tite, and longer bolts. It still winds up easing out somehow. Right now, I have a new gasket, longer bolts, and loc-tite. I have the bolts tightened so much that I'm afraid if I torque them anymore they'll snap. We raced last weekend and last night I checked underneath....still leaking and the bolts are still tight. It's not as bad as it was, but I'd like to clear it up completely. Any tips/tricks for me to try?
DRR 50 l/c
Help me before I resort to using bubble gum and duct tape. :eek2:

Coley'sdad#8
04-09-2010, 01:05 PM
it probably isn't leaking @ the flange to cyl surface if you have done all that prep work. the 2 stroke exhaust has back pressure and with the liquified hot oil it will push out from around the slip on fit of pipe to flange. welcome to the 2 stroke world:D they have been leaking since mr. stroke invented them
your jetting could be too fat , you could be running a high oil ratio that is not burning up before it gets to the exit and "slobbering" some of the factory bike guy's go to a lower mix ratio because they say the 65's and 70's can't burn it efficiently but @ 32:1 i haven't had any problems with proper jetting.:cool:

THARNESS
04-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Be careful not to overtighten those bolts. I have stripped the threads out of the cylinder before. Talk about a pain. Since then I have just learned to live with it on some of our quads. A good de-greaser and a power washer is much easier that a drill and a heli-coil kit trying to fix those threads.

Logan #34's Dad
04-10-2010, 02:59 AM
Yep, we all seen it. However, mine is less prominent now. Proper jetting and Amsoil Dominator 50:1.

drt18
04-10-2010, 12:21 PM
I WELDED MINE SOLID TO FIX THE MESS.

mcwilly
04-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Ok, I can live with it then, I guees....thanks for the replies.

Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
Yep, we all seen it. However, mine is less prominent now. Proper jetting and Amsoil Dominator 50:1.

I've got it down to a minimum now so it's not too bad. Running 44:1