PDA

View Full Version : 19.5 in shocks on 19 inch a arms?

04-08-2010, 03:48 PM
How bad would it be? Im using elka quad rate shocks so i mean i could play around with the ride height. Its only half an inch lol

aDviSol2y
04-08-2010, 03:57 PM
I think you would be alright.

fandl450r
04-09-2010, 10:03 AM
In the shock world that (1/2") is a HUGE deal, it's not just a matter of if they bolt up correctly. A lot has to do with what arms the shocks were built for, because all a-arms are NOT alike. Leverage ratios, mounting points, valving, all play a part in how a shock performs.

Just my 2 cents.

Scro
04-09-2010, 10:16 AM
The one thing you have to worry about is the balljoints binding. You want the travel limiting factor to be the shock itself. If the shock is so long that the balljoints are limiting factor of travel, it will bend the shaft of the balljoint and eventually break/fail.

After you have checked that, then you need to start looking at everything fandl said.

hontrx265r
04-09-2010, 08:56 PM
They will never work correct you'll fight with ride height even if they don't bind. I've tried it before and I couldn't believe how much of a difference a half inch at the shock made at the wheel. Just get the correct setup you'll be happy in the long run.

protraxrptr17
04-10-2010, 07:27 AM
Yeah, that thing will stand up like a mad spider with 1/2" longer shocks.

fearlessfred
04-10-2010, 10:49 AM
i have see plenty of shocks with internal limiting spacers. they would basical make the shaft 1/2 inch shorter you will have to do some homework like scro said the shock is what limits the travel .so the shock needs stop before the balljoints are in a bind the shock body could also be to long limiting you in up travel a call to elka might be the first thing to do. all my friends that have elkas say that there are very helpfull and would know exactly what shocks you have by the serial #