PDA

View Full Version : Car Audio Gurus!

Sjorge450R
04-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Well I know my way around car audio, but not like some of you do.

My best friend wants to upgrade his car audio and wants me to do it. I have no problem helping especially because we take long road trips in this car. Were going with a no sub setup (He doesnt want me getting into wiring an amp) Could someone tell me how to figure out the math of whether or not a specific headunit will be able to push a specific speaker combitnation

This is what I found really quick and I actually havent looked elsewhere.

This headunit
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDC138/Kenwood-KDC-138.html?tp=5684

these front speakers
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSG4643/Pioneer-TS-G4643R.html?c=3&tp=101&avf=N

and these rears.
http://outlet.crutchfield.com/p_113KFC698E/Kenwood-KFC-6982ie.html?cc=02&c=3&tp=13599&avf=N&tab=review

reminder. This is a budget build. I am fully aware that you get what you pay for when it comes to car audio, but I think i have a decent selection right there.

XCRacer236
04-08-2010, 01:15 PM
speakers will sound like *** without an amp.

muddy400EX
04-08-2010, 01:20 PM
hu puts out 22w rms, and the fronts are 20w rms so it will sound pretty good. it sound like hes just going for a decent clear sound so you should fine. alot of the sound quality is in how you set your eq on the hu. i hate when people crank the bass all the way up, it sounds horrible,lol

Sjorge450R
04-08-2010, 01:21 PM
why? Is the output on the radio too low for that setup? I have done many other friends cars and not one of them have amps and all sound great.

brian76708
04-08-2010, 01:25 PM
don't listing to xcracer a amp is not needed it will be a improvement over stock and it will sound just fine just make sure if you decide to change speakers (the ones u have up are fine) that they have 4ohms impedance.

Sjorge450R
04-08-2010, 01:28 PM
i just came across some info on 'bass blockers.' Do these actually work and should I use them since I am not putting a amp in? I have never used them before.

fastredrider44
04-08-2010, 01:31 PM
If you don't want a lot of bass, then don't put in big subwoofers and amps. The headunit and the controls is where the sound quality is at. But any ol tool can "adjust" their headunit and make it sound nasty.

Sjorge450R
04-08-2010, 01:36 PM
from what i understand the bass blockers help for distortion as you turn the volume up on a system without an amp.

My friend likes bass (90's hiphop, Jay-Z and so on) but like i said doesnt want to mess with a amp. I figure that speaker setup would probably give him a considerable difference over teh stock system bass.

What are some other sites to check out?

ben300
04-08-2010, 01:38 PM
onlinecarstereo.com

muddy400EX
04-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge450R
i just came across some info on 'bass blockers.' Do these actually work and should I use them since I am not putting a amp in? I have never used them before.

i wouldnt run bass blockers without subs, it will be to much treble i would think. with the backs being 6x9's i think it will sound great

04-08-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm glad nobody has helped you in this thread so far. :o You want an amp pushing ANY speakers. Will make them sound more clear and they will have much better response. If you want sound quality you need amps.

muddy400EX
04-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by YFZ-DunerUtah
I'm glad nobody has helped you in this thread so far. :o You want an amp pushing ANY speakers. Will make them sound more clear and they will have much better response. If you want sound quality you need amps.

i know an amp makes speakers clearer and louder, but he said hes on a budget. door speakers do not need an amp to sound good. i dont think he wants concert level here:ermm:

Sjorge450R
04-08-2010, 01:59 PM

again. Not true at all. A solid head unit and speakers does the trick. Not everyone wants a sub rattling everything loose in their car. And not everyone wants to tear half their interior apart to setup up an amp PROPERLY.

04-08-2010, 02:32 PM
If you know how to set up an amp properly you don't have to tear up half your interior..... Pop up the door sill plates and a little carpet and run your wire..... Sub rattling bass has nothing to do with mids/highs on an amp. If you want good sound take the extra hour and run an amp. Even if it's a cheap *** amp from wal-mart, it will be worth your extra time. This has nothing to do with being "concert level", the overall sound will be much better.

Scro
04-08-2010, 02:55 PM
If you know how to set up an amp properly you don't have to tear up half your interior..... Pop up the door sill plates and a little carpet and run your wire..... Sub rattling bass has nothing to do with mids/highs on an amp. If you want good sound take the extra hour and run an amp. Even if it's a cheap *** amp from wal-mart, it will be worth your extra time. This has nothing to do with being "concert level", the overall sound will be much better.

For people that know what a good system sounds like, it's worth the extra time. For 90% of the people, that don't even know what settings do what, it's going to sound the same from the headunit as it would an amp. And if not installed correctly, there is alot of potential for noise interference, grounds, etc.

Sjorge450R
04-08-2010, 03:04 PM
dont take me the wrong way.

I understand that a amp opens up a whole new world of car audio, but my friend doesnt want to get into it. He feels better just replacing what he has with better, more quality product.

Sjorge450R
04-08-2010, 08:15 PM
just to clarify. that setup that I have posted will work together?

ben300
04-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge450R
just to clarify. that setup that I have posted will work together?

if i was you i'd tell you buddy to splurge just a little more and buy a better quality head unit like a good pioneer or a good alpine...one that has tons of functional adjustment. Remember, the head unit is the signal processor and is the brain the controls everything thats going on with the speakers

yfzrider690
04-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by ben300
if i was you i'd tell you buddy to splurge just a little more and buy a better quality head unit like a good pioneer or a good alpine...one that has tons of functional adjustment. Remember, the head unit is the signal processor and is the brain the controls everything thats going on with the speakers

Totally agree. I have had a lot of decks over the years, mostly pioneer. One time I bought a kenwood and it was the worse deck I ever had. I hated that thing and got rid of it shortly after getting it. I like the pioneers the best, they have a ton of settings and are easy to use. If he's on a budget then go to walmart, they have pioneer speakers like the one you are looking at and they have decent pioneer decks for around 150. He will be happy if he spends a little more and doesn't get the kenwood.

muddy400EX
04-08-2010, 09:33 PM
ya ive had a few different kind of hu's and alpine was def. my favorite. ive got a kenwood now and dont really like it a whole lot

Kickstarts-suck
04-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Setup should be fine.

Just dont buy from crutchfield. They are expensive.

Walmart has those Pioneer speakers for alot cheaper.

ben300
04-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by yfzrider690
Totally agree. I have had a lot of decks over the years, mostly pioneer. One time I bought a kenwood and it was the worse deck I ever had. I hated that thing and got rid of it shortly after getting it. I like the pioneers the best, they have a ton of settings and are easy to use. If he's on a budget then go to walmart, they have pioneer speakers like the one you are looking at and they have decent pioneer decks for around 150. He will be happy if he spends a little more and doesn't get the kenwood.

ya, the first car i ever had i bought at the time a $300 pioneer DEH model head unit with the organic EL display, which was like one of the first gen of those styles, and i still have that head unit today, its in my brothers car and i bought it over 7 years ago. it still works great and the sound adjustments on that thing are amazing. That head unit sold me on pioneer for head units. that the only thing i will buy if i put a head unit in any vehicle...

but like i said. buying a good quality head unit is the best thing you can do when it comes to having a nice sounding/performing sound system in a vehicle

mineralgrey01gt
04-08-2010, 11:56 PM
definitely i have to agree with others on the headunit making or breaking a stereo set up. I ran pioneer, sony, kenwood, jvc, etc then I picked up an alpine and been with them since and do not ever plan on changing.

04-09-2010, 01:50 AM
I've always liked Pioneer headunits myself.