PDA

View Full Version : stripped oil plug, need help fast!!!

ltothaj1
04-08-2010, 12:01 PM
i got a 05 trx450r and i was changing the oil yesterday, got everything done and when i went to put the oil plug back in it tightened up a little, then just loosened up...the plug is actually all the way on, and it doesn't leak any oil, and it tightens on pretty good, but just not enuf...and when u try to tighten it more it just loosens right back up....any ideas on how to fix this? can i get a bigger bolt and rethread it? need help fast b4 GNCC this saturday!!

ANY HELP WILL BE REALLY APPRECIATED!!! THANKS!!

Scro
04-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Yes, you can drill it and tap it with a bigger bolt. Just make sure your new bolt is no longer than stock, and you don't get any shavings in the motor.

mikecancu812
04-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Use some cheap oil and flush motor out after done couple times to get shavings out

bpjr07
04-15-2010, 12:50 PM
try going to auto parts store they usually sell plugs specially for striped threads..

pretty much a piece of rubber with a bolt you put it in the hole then turn the bolt which squishes the rubber to make a tight seal...i would do it as a temporary solution.

IcutMetl
04-24-2010, 07:19 AM
I ran into the same issue on my 250R. Cross reference the part numbers; if they are the same, buy a drain plug and washer from a LT250R, plus the correct size tap, and you're good to go. It worked great for me- just drill a straight hole and tap it clean...no helicoil, rubber washer, etc.

If you're interested, I can get you part numbers and the tap size.