PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever tried this skid plate?

f4iracer
04-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Hey all i'm thinking about ordering a skid for my 400ex. I've got one on my yfz and it's very useful.

I'm looking for the cheapest one i can get and i came across this one on ebay.

Have any of you ever used it? I'm concerned about the clearance when it's installed. I don't want it to hang real low and drag on everything

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-400EX-Skid-plate-Swingarm-ATV-Fits-all-years_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ad847e5b0QQitemZ 390175647152QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessorie s

aDviSol2y
04-08-2010, 09:17 AM
your link is no good.... :ermm:

PaRedneckRiders
04-08-2010, 06:00 PM
remove the < br /> from the middle of the link and it works

No i havent tried it but it doesnt look to bad i mean it should serve its purpose

rcatvrider
04-08-2010, 06:13 PM
I believe you mean this
skidplate (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-400EX-Skid-plate-Swingarm-ATV-Fits-all-years_W0QQitemZ390175647152QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMoto rs_ATV_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5ad847e5b0)
I actually just ordered one a few days ago. It is .190 and looks well designed to to minimize the possibility of bending and is cheap. I will let you know how I like it when mine gets here.

99400esex
04-09-2010, 06:49 PM
I had a dg baja on my 400ex, It hung way too low and grabbed everything underneath of it. I dread the day my stock skidplate breaks

rcatvrider
04-09-2010, 06:54 PM
That's another reason why I like the design of this ebay skid plate. The only place it appears you may lose clearance is directly under the brake rotor or sprocket as the other parts are tight up to the linkage and swinger.

tri5ron
04-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Yeah, I've got one of those, and have one 80 mile ride on it.

I wasn't very impressed with it at all due to it has too much clearance with the sprocket and brake rotor.

this means it hangs down too far, and I felt it got hung up WAAAYY to easily on the rocks, and ruts.

It really pizzed me off a couple of times, and I fully intend to either remove it and go back to my other aftermarket plate,
or I'm going to cut and re-weld this one to fit closer to the sprocket and rotor.

I'm not happy with it at all, BUT we DO ride in ALOT of rocks.

Maybe you'll have better luck with it,
but as for myself,...
I wouldn't give it any high recommendations.

rcatvrider
04-10-2010, 06:33 AM
Damn, up here in the northeast almost every trail is littered with rocks so those are not things I wanted to hear. Mine will be here Monday so I will just have to see for myself.

triple b
04-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by rcatvrider
Damn, up here in the northeast almost every trail is littered with rocks so those are not things I wanted to hear. Mine will be here Monday so I will just have to see for myself.

How do you like it?.......Maybe some pics of it installed

My father-in-law has used up his AC racing skid plate long before the stock tires have wore out.

rcatvrider
04-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Still waiting for ups, I will get pics during the install.

pontiacgtp97
04-12-2010, 02:56 PM
I have one from GT Thunder. First race on was this weekend, it took a beating and I never got hung up. Plus it's steel.

http://www.gtthunder.com/ATVParts.htm

aDviSol2y
04-12-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by pontiacgtp97
I have one from GT Thunder. First race on was this weekend, it took a beating and I never got hung up. Plus it's steel.

http://www.gtthunder.com/ATVParts.htm

What is it coated with? I like the style but I'm concerned about the steel rusting.

pontiacgtp97
04-12-2010, 03:14 PM
It's just painted steel, I was thinking about having it plated. I've had stock, DG, ProArmor skids and this one. The GTT skid is by far has the best clearance.

jdog75
04-12-2010, 03:31 PM
i like myprm skid plate, it takes a beating from rock and railroad tracks every time i go out and never dented and even scractched deeply and its got good clearance but im not sure of the thickness

aDviSol2y
04-12-2010, 04:33 PM
It's just painted steel, I was thinking about having it plated. I've had stock, DG, ProArmor skids and this one. The GTT skid is by far has the best clearance.

Thanks, thats some good info. I need a skid real bad. I rode without one last season and destroyed my disc and broke my hub. But I really don't have $150+ to spend on a good name brand one. I like the price of the GTT and I like your feedback. I think I might just have to bite the bullet and buy one. Its gotta be better than running without one. :ermm:

rcatvrider
04-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Here ya go- ebay skid review (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=434652)

The reason I don't like the gtt skid is because it offers no shock linkage protection. When swapping skids it was quite evident that the linkage area of my skid took some hits from rocks. I am glad I went with my gut and got one that protects the linkage as well. If you race on dirt tracks, this should not be an issue, but for trails it may be depending on where you ride.

pontiacgtp97
04-12-2010, 07:17 PM
I run a GT Thunder linkage along with the skid plate. Any skid plate I use, I have to cut the skid to allow for the linkage. So, no linkage protection is okay with me.

400man
05-20-2010, 12:36 AM
I run a GT Thunder linkage along with the skid plate. Any skid plate I use, I have to cut the skid to allow for the linkage. So, no linkage protection is okay with me.

I also run the gt thunder rear linkage and it really doesnt need a skid plate cause that linkage arm is tough enough to take a good pounding over the rocks.

sc400ex_rider
05-21-2010, 07:23 AM
I read on here PRM? makes a good one.