PDA

View Full Version : buddy needs help

yfz4504life
04-07-2010, 09:54 PM
good friend of mine screwed up the other day. went to change oil on his honda but he read the manual wrong and re-filled his tranny instead of the the motor. so being the rocket scientist he is, he walked away leaving it run and came back 5 min later to find a puddle on the floor from his transmission overflow. so we started talking and i was wondering(seeing as i've never owned a honda) how long do you think a motor would last being bone dry? he said he only left it running for a max of 5 min at an idle. i personally dont think this would result in any damage seeing as it was just ideling, but what do you guys think?

d3ktrix
04-08-2010, 12:23 AM
5 min with no oil? Even at idle I'd put my money that there is significant damage somewhere.

At least his tranny/clutch and water pump bearings were well lubricated during the event :P

Bare min pop the valve cover off and see what the cam looks like.

Cylinder and crank/rod bearings probably took the worst of it though.

yfz4504life
04-08-2010, 06:34 AM
if it would've been a bearing though it would have locked up by now. i think it should be alright seeing as that it was still wet inside, i guess time will tell though

wckedclownz69
04-08-2010, 06:41 AM
mainly all you can do is check...

Ruf Racing
04-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Back in the day. I was changing the oil in one of your 300ex's. I put a new filter in and installed the drain plug. But I didn't fill the crankcase with new oil. I'll get to it later. The wife started and went for a little ride. She was gone for maybe 5mins. before I realized it, Long story short, filled it with oil, ran fine for many years, without a issue. Good luck.

Lquad71
04-08-2010, 09:16 AM
that is a 300ex though...the power difference and stress put on these motors are quite a bit more.

nskukalek79
04-08-2010, 10:28 AM
I have a friend the drained the oil out of his z400 (with 440 kit and some goodies) and didn't fill it back up for a few days because he didn't buy it yet. well, he forgot about it one day and there was some girl around and he decided to try and impress her so he took the quad out and rode it around...he was just riding for about 5 min but he was revving it out pretty much the whole time. Then he parked it and then he just got this crazy look on his face and just remembered there was no oil at all in his motor...But the quad was never affected by it, he had that sucker for another year after that and it never gave him any trouble.

My guess is that it's fine, but it never hurts to check things out...maybe a good time to check out the valve lash

Ruf Racing
04-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Lquad71
that is a 300ex though...the power difference and stress put on these motors are quite a bit more.

No doubt, if you are out rippin' it up. He was letting it idle. More stress applied riding a 300ex, then a idling 450R. :ermm: