PDA

View Full Version : Yfz oil mod?

staakej
04-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Any one done this mod them self ? I searched for a post of one and couldn't find one. Just wondering how hard it would be to do my self? Post pics
if you got them

mxpimp2000
04-07-2010, 08:41 PM
welcome to the yamaha side lol. i myself dont have the mod done and not sure if and when ill do it.

heres a link: http://yfz450.theatvchannel.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=94896

staakej
04-07-2010, 08:48 PM
How big of a deal is it to have if a guy changes his oil every ride can he get buy with out it ? This bike I'm getting is suppost to have a wr crank. I was told u need to have it done on a wr crank because the smaller wrist pin

mxpimp2000
04-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by staakej
How big of a deal is it to have if a guy changes his oil every ride can he get buy with out it ? This bike I'm getting is suppost to have a wr crank. I was told u need to have it done on a wr crank because the smaller wrist pin

i'll tell you my .02, anyways i change my oil every 2-3 rides and my filter every other oil change since my oil comes out looking the same as it goes in (never black) also when i start my bike for the 1st time of the day ill let it warm up good and keep RPM's low as for the rest of the day id start it and go ride considering the motor hasnt fully cooled down between motos and practices. if it means anything im still on stock crank and all bottom end.

staakej
04-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Yeah I'm the same way allways every other or sometimes every ride. I don't know crap about yfz just was wondering how big of a deal it really was.

mxpimp2000
04-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by staakej
Yeah I'm the same way allways every other or sometimes every ride. I don't know crap about yfz just was wondering how big of a deal it really was.

yfz's arent much to know everything about. i didnt know anything about one in 08 now i can tell you alot and alot of secret mods and lil stuff that means alot.

best upgrades ive done was

kicker setup (no e start) and a full race harness
yz450f clutch setup 8 steels 9 fibers
zip tie mod
throttle spring mod
honda throttle
cam mod
FCI intake.

also join yfztech and yfzcentral theres alot of info out there and yfztech guys can answer any ?'s you have, ive learned alot

yfzrider690
04-07-2010, 10:03 PM
The oil mod is a good thing to do if you don't have it done. It doesn't matter how much you change the oil, the oil mod is to better lubricate the cylinder. The '04-'06 models only get lubrication from the crank splashing the oil around, the '07 and up models have the squirter that directly lubricates instead of splashing around. It's not a have to do mod as there are plenty of people that haven't done it and have not problems. But if you are planning on tearing it apart it would be a good thing to do.

mxpimp2000
04-07-2010, 10:19 PM
“Oil Mod” vs. “Oil Upgrade”

Is this “oil upgrade” different or better than the “oil mod” that became popular on internet forums? Absolutely. The "oil mod" was basically an emergency fix to the oil problem. The “mod” requires complete engine removal, the cases split, and a series of channels drilled in multiple areas. The jet used with the mod is set lower in the motor farther away from both it’s source (freshly filtered oil) and it’s target (wrist pin). In addition, the “mod” not only fails to utilize the new high velocity oil pump, it actually LOWERS oil pressure as a result of the additional channels. The “oil upgrade”, designed by Yamaha, is a more efficient and effective design patterned after the “oil mod”. The nozzle is located immediately after the oil filter (freshly filtered) and utilizes Yamaha’s new high velocity oil pump. The mechanical work, with J&T Product’s step by step illustrated instructions, can be completed in a short amount of time with minimal mechanical skill.

standardryder
04-08-2010, 03:40 AM
I didnt do the oil upgrade for almost 5 years and I got by. But when I replaced my crank there was some heat marks on the wristpin from not being lubricated, kinda scary. I did the oil upgrade myself, it was simple, I dont see why people get so much to do it, literally took me 5 minutes. Id say do it, or get it done.