PDA

View Full Version : Well tried to start it tonight, NO GO :-I.. Weak starter???

Thumpin440ex
04-07-2010, 08:30 PM
The rest of my things showed up today from powder coating, including my exhaust brackets.. So I put it all on, other items I have been waiting for.. Long story short. Any how I went and picked up a yuasa batter for the gsxr YT12A-BS.. More CCA then the 400 batt.. Well the thing barley turned the engine over, im like WTF. So I go back and check all my wiring out. Checks out good.. So I am thinking the starter might be bad, but then thought wtf is the chances it going bad, when it came off the bike it was working perfect.. So I pulled the plug, tried.. Same deal.. Then I put the charger on it, same deal.. I am convinced the new battery has a bad cell and is no good.. WTF just my luck.. Any how I will find out tom, after I load test it.. I was so pumped to hear this thing tooo.. ERRRRR I am ticked

John

NacsMXer
04-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Wait, what did you have powder coated exactly? Did you get the frame or subframe done by chance?

Thumpin440ex
04-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Yah a long time ago, im talking 4 years atleast...

NacsMXer
04-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Gotcha never mind then. I had electrical problems when I recently PC'd my frame and sub. I wasn't getting a good ground at both the frame to sub, as well as the motor to frame. I just upgraded to that same battery too, it's much better. Sorry I couldn't help ya. Get a tester on that battery and start eliminating things one at a time. That's what I had to do to figure out my ground problems. Good luck man :)

Thumpin440ex
04-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Initially I did think it was a ground issue, so I changed it from the way I had it to running a ground directly to the top left subframe bolt.. It help, but nut still. It just doesn't seem like this batter is putting out the power, not even close.. So after that load test tom, Im hook a car batt up, see if it is in fact the batt or my started, but the lad test should tell right of the get... $%^( damn %^&*

John

clemsonteg
04-07-2010, 09:11 PM
As long as its a 12 volt battery you should be able to put a volt meter on it and if you have a cell that is no good you will get around 10 volts on the meter. Happened in my truck once. Ran great to a friends house, went to leave and it wouldn't even try to turn over.

CJM
04-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Put jumper cables on, then try and crank it over. Even a bad cell can be jump started.

Thumpin440ex
04-08-2010, 12:14 PM
I am goin to try the jumper cables once i get home and also load test it. As far as testing it with a meter a batt with a bad cell can very well test out at 12 volts. It is only when it is loaded is when will break down. Also goin to pop the 2 fronts off amd grind it to metal

Thumpin440ex
04-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Hooked it to the car, fired right up, also passed the load test.. The gent that did the motor said it was tight.. Took it for a ride, for about 15 min up down the street, gave it its share of the rpm range, even banged the stutter box a few times.. Clutch needs to be adjusted bad, is slipping, but that is giving.. So as any engine, it is getting a lil easier to start everytime.. A short vid will be up shortly.. Thus far it sounds good, seems to be runninh aight. Pipe is a nice shade of gold, the exhaust is not incredibly hot.. So far so good. :D

John