PDA

View Full Version : Changing rear bearings, anything I should know?

big_poppa49
04-07-2010, 08:25 PM
After finding out my rear bearings are gone, and after reading pappy's How To on removal of the carrier, I figure I should be able to do this myself. Is there anything I should know/do once im in there? Is the bearings hard to get out of the carrier? (note: new carrier and bearings were last replaced about 7 years ago, not by me) Is there any certain technique for bearing removal or installation? Also, other than the cotter pins on hub of course, should I buy anything else new, or just use the stock c-clip and ring that axle nut goes over?

Also, couple more things, should any loc-tite or anything be used on axle nut when re-installing?? And what size is stock axle hub bolt??

Thanks in advance

big_poppa49
04-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Also, is this all I need to buy??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REAR-AXLE-BEARINGS-AND-SEALS-HONDA-TRX400EX-TRX-400EX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5633334d13QQitemZ 370226187539QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessorie s

big_poppa49
04-08-2010, 04:23 AM
anything? or is this a breeze? :(

Pabst_Powered
04-08-2010, 06:59 AM
Ive changed some on friends quads and all went well, then I go to change my own and it was a nightmare, the bearings welded themselfs to the carrier and I never did get them out, had to wait a week for a new carrier. When I changed mine I bought the following...

-Pivot Works complete axle bearing kit

-G-Force axle nut wrenches 45mm/56mm (these have a spot for a ratchet or breaker bar) makes life easier

-Loctite, blue medium

-grease(for the inside of the carrier, bearings, tube spacer)

-cotter pins

-4 new carrier bolts

also I think I used a 1 1/4 socket for hubs, dont think it was right but worked fine, a bearing press, rubber mallet, and a 30pk of Pabst...hope this helps some

big_poppa49
04-08-2010, 03:15 PM
some , yea.

Do you have to use a bearing press?

And what is the "tube spacer"?

slightlybent47
04-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by big_poppa49
some , yea.

Do you have to use a bearing press?

And what is the "tube spacer"?

No you don’t need a press, just start with it level and tap them in gently.
The tube spacer keeps the bearing from being pushed to far in when you tighten up the lock nut.

big_poppa49
04-08-2010, 04:37 PM
any suggestions for getting the old bearings out?

And, what kind of grease do I need to use and how and where exactly do I need to put it and how much of it?

Sorry for all the questions, I have never done this myself before, I had someone else to do it. I just want to do everything right to prevent premature wearing. Thanks

slightlybent47
04-08-2010, 05:46 PM
I used an old giant screwdriver that the tip was broken off and I put some heat on the end and bent it so I could reach the bearing from the back side. I have 4 deferent pullers but none of them are for pulling bearings. I’m too cheap to buy a new puller. Lol!!!
As for the grease a good silicone base lube is best, we do ride these things in water from time to time so a good marine type grease would be good. A lot of petroleum based grease will break down if it gets wet.

After putting in the bearing and seals (don’t forget the spacer tube). Pack the inside of the carrier with as much grease as you can. Then slide the axel through, wipe the grease off the axel and assemble. In other words use as much as you can. The bearings them selves are sealed but I like to use a lot of grease, this keeps grease handy in case a seal goes out there is plenty of grease available, and it keeps the water out and makes it easer to take apart.

big_poppa49
04-08-2010, 08:17 PM
good advice. Also, would it be ok to re-use the same snap-ring and/or the other ring the axle nut slides over?

And you mentioned loctite, what threads did you put that on?

And one last, and probably most important thing. Is the bearing and seal kit I linked to above ok to use? Its off ebay and the Dealer here wants $27 a PIECE for bearings, PLUS costs extra for seals. I dont race or anything, just mostly trail ride and sometimes creek riding.

hazlettEX
04-09-2010, 09:52 AM
The link doesn't work but a bearing and seal kit from ebay or a website online is what you need. The kit should come with 2 bearings and 2 seals.. I got a Moose Racing kit one for $30 from a local shop but then I ripped my carrier out and saw that it was dual row and had to go get two more bearings. Didn't feel like waiting another week for the parts to come in so I had to goto a Honda dealer. ($25 a piece from a honda dealership) The dealerships are pricey so I'd try to score something on ebay or one of these websites floating around.

big_poppa49
04-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Oops, go to ebay.com and search for item number 370226187539

I am not sure if mine is twin row or not, because I had a shop to install a new carrier and bearings once a while back and im not sure if the carrier is aftermarket or stock.