PDA

View Full Version : Quad upgrade, banshee or another 4 stroke?

Mattjns93
04-07-2010, 07:35 PM
First off, I don't race. However, I do ride a bit of everything else. Woods, trails, small jumps, fields, mud, creeks, brush, etc. I need some that can go anywhere I need it to for the most part. Also, I need something reliable and that can be ridden a bit rough. Nothing that has to be babied. Also, to give a bit of a description of me, I'm not a nutcase on quads. I don't go on huge jumps or stuff like that, I just LOVE speed. Nothing like ripping out of the woods and spitting up dust everywhere behind ya :D

Now, with that out of the way, maybe you guys can help me make up my mind. I didn't even consider a banshee until I rode my friends and I was BLOWN away, literally. That powerband almost threw me off the back haha! Anyways, right now I'm between a 400ex, 450r, yfz, and a banshee.

Obviously the banshee will be the best bang for the buck when it comes to $ to speed and acceleration. However, how would one handle in the kind of riding I demand?

Lastly, which quad will respond best to mods and get the best bang for the buck? I know my 300ex is quite pricey when it comes to squeezing the power out of them.

I sort of knocked the banshee out of the question because our fields are farmed from May till around October, so that really limits the wide open riding. I figured the banshee wouldn't be too useful in those tight spots in the woods, but I just can't forget how that high end power felt! I rode my buddies YFZ afterwards and it just didn't feel nearly as fast. Though the banshee had around $1500 into it.

Thanks everyone!

fasterblaster09
04-07-2010, 07:46 PM
If I had to chose one quad, being in your shoes from your description, it would NOT be a banshee. When I do ride which will be once every two months about, it will be at the dunes. All I own at the moment is the banshee I just purchased, and after one trip to the dunes, I know I will either have to sell it and get a four stroke, or try to find another bike (four stroke) to brings along. The banshee just needs to be revved way up to get around. I am trying to keep it just for drag racing, but for an all around bike, i would choose not.

Hondamaster5505
04-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Well before I start, fasterblaster you have out of frame drag pipes.. lmao. Of course that isn't going to have any bottom end.

But here's my opinion, banshee may not be what you're looking for, basing on the description of where you ride. A 450 seams like it would be better.

Banshee's are just awesome wherever you can open them up. They love to be held wide open! When tuned properly, they will take the top end abuse all day long.. and ask for more. They're pretty damn reliable if you run good 2-stroke oil in it.
BUT... this is also it's downfall.. In the trails, lets face it, the banshee's are a handful. Most pipes put the power-range in the upper-mid, making bottom end and tight trails a hassle. Plus the stock suspension, well, blows. It's real nimble, but the stock shocks suck.

They CAN be made to be good trail bikes though.. A set of FMF Fatty's I found have awesome trail power when matched with a 12 tooth front sprocket. My father has this set up, and it rocks in the trails motor-wise. So easy to keep on the pipe and comes on early.

It's really a matter of what you're comfortable on... to be honest the 450's are much better trail bikes then the banshee's. BUT, if you really want that banshee power/thrill, they can be made to be decent trail quads. I trail ride mine all the time. (But I have top-end DMC pipes so I kind of have to clutch it here and there)

450's need to be rebuilt fairly frequently compared to other 4-strokes like 400ex's. And it's expensive. Plus, they're ticking time bombs in my opinion. If they're ridden fairly hard, i've seen them drop valves and crap in the past and make a big mess.

Best bang for the buck? It doesn't take much of anything to make a banshee fast as hell. Pretty much pipes, filter, and reeds make them a hell of a runner. And even if you found one without pipes, it's only about 200-250 for a nice used set.

You want a real rush? Kevin at HerrJuggs Racing has porting anywhere from $250-$350 that make banshee's incredible. Porting them is like throwing a turbo on them, haha. That with a high compression head, is all you'll ever need. With just those, a 450 would need a chit ton of $$$ just to keep up. (And be even MORE of a ticking time bomb.)

In a nutshell, the 450 is a better quad for what your riding type is, but if you want that banshee-type hit/power, it CAN be done.

All a good trail banshee would need to do well, is:

Coolhead with 21cc domes
MX/Trail Port
28mm carbs
FMF Fatty's/Pro Circuts

Quality front shocks (Elka, Works) (Rear shock isn't that bad)

12 tooth front sprocket

fasterblaster09
04-10-2010, 09:07 AM
lol:confused: same with toomey. but hey, to each his own. good luck

jcs003
04-17-2010, 11:20 AM
a trx250r is probably the best of both worlds. it has the hit of a two stroke with a more managable power output. handles better and is lighter than a banshee. banshees are awesome but i sold mine cause it was being wasted in the tight woods.

if you can get it built for bottom end power and shave some weight and upgrade the suspension you will be good.

tommygunnz
04-18-2010, 09:54 PM
450=expensive to fix and mod but have very usable powerbands Banshee=bad bottom end but very unique a insane thrill and cheap to mod if you know what to do/get and a Banshee can be trail ridden just fine if you're a good rider otherwise the user friendly 450 is a better choice due to how easy it is to ride and tame

IcutMetl
04-22-2010, 09:22 PM
The Banshee is one wicked ride, isn't it? I say if you're addicted, buy one. Drop a tooth on the front sprocket, and put some Fatties on it, and it will be a ton more manageable. My buddy rides the crap out of his in the trails and his has DMC exhaust, which is more of a mid-top setup. Once tuned and if kept up, like any 2 stroke, will be reliable and cheap to fix / modify. I don't know how much gas a 450 goes thru, but the Banshees guzzle it like a dog drinks water. I love riding my buddies...it's a rush, but it wouldn't be my only ride.

The 250R was a great suggestion, and yea...it is the best of both worlds. I didn't understand what the hype was about until I bought one myself, and I was in the same pickle as you are now. I've had a 400, but had ridden Banshee's, 450's, Wariors, Quadzillas,...you get the idea. The handling of the 'R is amazing, and they are very tractable in the woods with the right setup. The downside is, they obviously haven't been made for quite a while, so finding a good one may take some work.