PDA

View Full Version : WTF, buying a used youth quad.

Regular_Joe
04-07-2010, 03:31 PM
I am in the market to buy a couple youth quads. I have 3 little girls who just like to tool around the house. I bought a pair of 50cc Polaris Predators last summer. Only the older two are old enough to drive. The problem is 2 girls, 2 quads, but there are always 2 friends as well. My plan is to get a couple 90cc quads to add to my collection. The oldest is about ready to move to something a little better anyway.

I am looking on Craigslist in my state for youth quads. Everything I see one and inquire about are generally in the 05-07 for $2000 range. These quads value in KBB are from $800 (trade-in) to $1300 (retail), so I am thinking that $1000 is about reasonable. Everyone seems super insulted when I say that. What am I missing here? Why would I buy a quad for $2000 when I can kick in another $400 and get it new.....

aDviSol2y
04-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Some people are real proud of their stuff. Sometimes you just have to wait for the right deal to come around. I was in the market to buy a PW50 for my son a few months ago. I knew I could buy a brand new one for under 1k from the dealer down the road. So when I saw people on craigslist asking $750-$900, I had the same reaction as you. Finally after about 2 months of looking, I found a guy selling an '04 for $400. The bike was in like new condition. I think $400 was a fair deal. Short story long, just keep looking.

bens250ex
04-07-2010, 05:32 PM
yup keep lookin/waitin and try ebay you might have to ship or drive some but also might find a nice deal.

CJM
04-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Your not crazy, the people selling thier junk are. Youth quads arent really worth much imho, they are not desirable as say a CR250 or 400EX at all.

Then again everyone thinks thier stuff is worth tons of cash, I waited out the kid I bought my EX off of for a good month. I got a decent deal for 1200 and needed to replace a few things, but I only have 250 into it on the items that needed replacing, rest was all stuff I wanted.

JLanphear
04-07-2010, 09:51 PM
I've bought a few of the Kazuma type (off-brand chinese quads) in the past and I've had good luck with them. The kids grew out of 2 of them, so I only have 1 left, but it's still running like new...original everything (except oil and gas...haha) and it's over 5 years old now. The total price of all 3 was less than a USED "name brand" quad. I have heard some horror stories, so to each their own.

SRH
04-07-2010, 10:23 PM
i got a 04 arctic cat 90 for sale $850... i usually advertise on the albany craigslist...

honestly though i have a few lt 80s...i bought 1 for 350...and by the time i put it into reliable riding condition i had over $1200 invested along with buying it.... and its a 91... so a bargain isnt always a bargain

tri5ron
04-07-2010, 11:58 PM
just FYI,
if you have patience, you'll find a decent bike for a decent price.

I paid $1300 for my daughters '06 TRX90 in near mint condition, and it came with a flag mount, stiffy flag, and a brand spankin' new pair of sand paddles on "never been mounted" Douglas wheels.

for my son, I got a litterly flawless, "looked like it came off the showroom floor," '05 Kymco Mongoose 90. it came with the headlight option, extra belt, clutch weights, cover gaskets, flagpole, mount, teather kill, and factory repair manual.
I paid $1100 for it.

Hang in there, be patient, and watch CraigsList EVERYDAY .
you'll find what your looking for.