PDA

View Full Version : Score in cylinder after bore

sly400ex
01-28-2003, 11:47 AM
I brought my 250r cylinder to a reputable shop to have it bored .020 over. After I got it back, I noticed a very, and I stress very shallow score running from top to bottom. You can barely even feel it with you finger nail. Do you think after it is broke in it will probably be alright? I figure if the compression is very good, then I should be alright. BTW, what should the compression be after the rebuild, then after the break-in?????

Pappy
01-28-2003, 11:53 AM
take it back to them and show them.....if they give you a half arse answer then ya know it aint alright:macho maybe they need to hone it a bit ....hard to say without seeing it

12gofast
01-28-2003, 12:03 PM
The scratch, score, mark you are seeing is where the cylinder was checked witha bore gauge. Good machine shops use these and there is no avoiding the scratch.
The scratch runs from top to bottom because the gauge is run from top to bottom to check taper.

All bore, hone jobs are scratches...they are just in a nice cross hatch pattern.

So if you cant feel it when you run your finger over it....then no worries....it will go away during break in.

Teufel
01-28-2003, 03:30 PM
Scotch Brite the cylinder and see if the mark remains. Imo, you should always do this to the cylinder when doing a rebuild, it helps to seat the rings.