PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake caliper loose!??!

Xplorer99
04-07-2010, 01:00 AM
i noticed that my rear brake caliper has some play in it a while ago, well i replaced all my brake pads tonight and the rear caliper is tightly bolted to the mount, so its not the bolts being loose. but the mount, as well as the brake rotor move back and forth about a 1/4" i dont see this as being normal or good, just wondering what it would be? thanks!

extremetrucker
04-07-2010, 01:06 AM
is the bushing on the locator pin on the side of the swingarm missing?

Xplorer99
04-07-2010, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by extremetrucker
is the bushing on the locator pin on the side of the swingarm missing?

ill check tomorow. its a lonestar +1 swingarm if that makes a difference. my buddy tightend the chain on it the last time i rode it, other than that i havent messed with anything back there yet... where abouts is the locator pin?

ill look over it in the morning, thanks for the help

gt400ex
04-07-2010, 01:58 AM
For the bushing he was talking about, if you look at the brake stay (part the caliper is bolted to) you should see a long grove pointed towards the front of the bike and there should be a pin and a mettle bushing that the stay rides on. But from the sounds of it you either have your axle bearings going bad, you need to tighten the axle nut or the splines are bad on the axle or brake hub or all the above. But probably just a loose axle nut.

Scro
04-07-2010, 07:16 AM
I'm going to say the bushing on the swingarm is worn out. If you look on the side of the swingarm that the brake is on, you will see a post sticking out. This post should have a bushing slid over it. This bushing sits in a groove in the brake stay. That's what keeps the brake mount from rotating with the axle, when you apply the brakes. It's a high-wear area, that needs to be replaced every once in a while.

Xplorer99
04-07-2010, 09:10 AM
well its a combination of both. the bushing on the side of the swing arm is a lil worn out, plus the axle lock nut is loose... whats the specific name of the bushing? are they all the same? i have lonestar swingarm. im guessing they are but just want to be sure. also does anyone know what size the 2 lock nuts are? dont have a wrench big enough so i was going to go buy one for each nut, i dont like using big channel locks and stripping the but heads all up... thanks a lot!!!

Scro
04-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Xplorer99
well its a combination of both. the bushing on the side of the swing arm is a lil worn out, plus the axle lock nut is loose... whats the specific name of the bushing? are they all the same? i have lonestar swingarm. im guessing they are but just want to be sure. also does anyone know what size the 2 lock nuts are? dont have a wrench big enough so i was going to go buy one for each nut, i dont like using big channel locks and stripping the but heads all up... thanks a lot!!!

Give LSR a call about the bushing. I've seen some that have a little different inside diameter.

Xplorer99
04-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Scro
Give LSR a call about the bushing. I've seen some that have a little different inside diameter.

just got off the phone with Lonestar...it DOES require a special bushing. the lonestar pin on the swingarm is a little bit bigger than that of the stock swing.. cost me 5 bucks lol....

big_poppa49
04-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Could that bushing yall are talking about also be my problem? Read my post I made a while back below, When I move my bike from side to side, swingarm and stuff stays put, but axle "slides" back and fourth in and out of my carrier.

Click below, I think I described it a little better.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=433479

Scro
04-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by big_poppa49
Could that bushing yall are talking about also be my problem? Read my post I made a while back below, When I move my bike from side to side, swingarm and stuff stays put, but axle "slides" back and fourth in and out of my carrier.

Click below, I think I described it a little better.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=433479

No, your problem is either the bearings are shot, or the axle nut is loose. After 7-8 years on the same bearings, I would say the bearings are probably the culprit.