PDA

View Full Version : no powerband?

mhewitt
04-06-2010, 10:51 PM
i recently purchased an 89 trx250r with a 310cc kit with a fresh rebuild, the clutch lever was real stiff to pull in so i swapped it out with one i already had that was normal length cause the one that came on the bike was really short. other than that i didnt change anything but when i ride it feels like it has nice low-end power but when i hit the powerband it doesnt pull much at all just gets loud and never really "takes off" like a 2-stroke. im mixing 93 octane gas with suzuki 2 stroke oil 32:1. guy before me had a lrd pipe on it then sold it to me with stock pipe so i bought a paul turner fatboy hoping that was the problem but still no change. think it could be the clutch not grabbing when the power comes on or maybe a jetting issue? kinda new to 2 strokes any help is appreciated! i lost in a race to my brothers crf250r dirtbike he pulled away from me hard after 4th gear and i just dont think it should b that slow

red88r
04-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Is your clutch slipping?

rayman375
04-07-2010, 01:27 AM
The powerband could've snapped or fallen out. The jetting could be off. Did you check the compression in the cyl?

J.B.
04-07-2010, 06:48 AM
^:confused:

Guy187
04-07-2010, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by rayman375
The powerband could've snapped or fallen out. The jetting could be off. Did you check the compression in the cyl?

Did you just actually say the powerband could have snapped or fallen out? Wow!

Honda 250r 001
04-07-2010, 07:13 AM
Try riding it on pavement and see if it feels any different. The tires just spin instead of takeing off when your on slick hard pack.

rablack21
04-07-2010, 08:27 AM
I had the same problem myself recently. My clutch lever felt harder than usual to pull in. And when I would take off, the motor would get louder but it wouldn't really take off like it used too. It felt almost if the transmission was slipping. I had the clutch cable pulled too tight. It wasn't allowing the clutch to completely release into the gears. Try loosening up the clutch cable there where it mounts to the engine and see if that helps.

rayman375
04-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Guy187
Did you just actually say the powerband could have snapped or fallen out? Wow!
It could happen, my stock powerband broke, I replaced it with one from LRD and haven't had a problem since. You gotta get the blue one though, they're the strongest.

86 Quad R
04-07-2010, 09:18 AM
It could happen, my stock powerband broke, I replaced it with one from LRD and haven't had a problem since. You gotta get the blue one though, they're the strongest.

http://forums.everything2stroke.com/images/smilies/laugh1.gif http://forums.everything2stroke.com/images/smilies/WTF.gif

Guy187
04-07-2010, 09:29 AM

WTF is wrong with you?

1promodfan
04-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Com'on guys, I think he knows what the "powerband" is. He's just trying to be "wise":chinese: .

mhewitt
04-07-2010, 09:50 AM
yeah i know that there is no band in the motor, WTF! im gonna try to adjust the clutch today and see if i get any results i guess i couldve tried that first before creating this thread but i needed some more opinions. o and maybe when im done with the clutch i will buy a new powerband from lrd, the blue one cause i here its the strongest! rotflmao!

mhewitt
04-07-2010, 09:57 AM
thanks rablack21 thats what i was thinking. yeah ive driven it on the pavement and it does the same, actually when i raced my bro's crf250r it was on the pavement. with 18" tires i have to snatch the handlebars to get the front end to come up and it has to be in 1st gear any other one and theres not enough power.

1promodfan
04-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Be sure that you carb is cleaned out and that your jetting is right.;)

250rPRIDE
04-07-2010, 01:30 PM

i ALWAYS make sure i grease my powerband before and after everyride to make sure i never loose it!!!
haaa

i hope hes talking about a "powerVALVE"

which could be the problem if its a pv 310, also did you just buy a fatboy silencer or a whole pipe. if it was jetted for a lrd and its back to stock pipe you will still need to jet regaurdless of silencer.

fearlessfred
04-07-2010, 02:09 PM
yea,one time i forgot to grease my powerband and it broke and came up and hit the muffler bearing that came apart and hit the taillight all the red taillight oil came out we had to rent a skyhook to get the bike back to camp sorry i couldnt help myself

rayman375
04-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Hahaha! Of course I was not talking about a powervalve, everyone knows you get rid of the powerband all together when you runnin a pv. :D

fearlessfred
04-07-2010, 03:55 PM
rainman you are funny

86 Quad R
04-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by fearlessfred
rainman you are funny

ehhhhh yea en i thunk he was hitting the pipe or the rockman got em.

1promodfan
04-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Allright guys, lets get back on track. This guy needs our help, so lets try to help him get his 250R running better.

mhewitt
04-07-2010, 04:38 PM
its not a powervalve 310 just regular 310. i bought the full exhaust, head pipe and silencer. ive cleaned the carbuerator. not sure about the jetting cause i dont know much about how to tell what jets are in it or what jets i need for that matter. i adjusted the clutch by moving the cable near the motor all the way toward the clutch cover (it was only like a 1/4" away to begin with) and on the lever it was turned in all the way towards the lever. was this the correct way to loosen it up? it didnt feel much different still felt like no power just noise. still wouldnt pick up without snatching in first gear.

Saul76
04-07-2010, 05:05 PM
I bet the OP's clutch plates are fried.

wild250rman
04-07-2010, 05:23 PM
For sale box of new and used power bands will work on 86-89 250r's. will trade for something of equal value. self lubing type! shoot me an offer. may have a couple of spazmatic rectifiers and a wobble shaft or two laying around. trade for a case of beer only used one time

LONG-ROD
04-07-2010, 06:16 PM
lol.. what a post.. hey I have met plenty of young guys who really think there is a band,, hell I did when I was 6.. so just in case this is a youngster lets set him in the right direction.. any motor has a power curve.. or power band.. all it is, is reference to the amount of hp and torque through the entire rpm range. help me out guys Im sure there is a better way to explain this concept.. and for mhewitt replace the fiber plates and I bet your R runs like a raped ape. If not its one less thing to worry about..

Aceman
04-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by wild250rman
a wobble shaft . trade for a case of beer only used one time

If you'd lay off the beer you wouldn't have a wobbly shaft. Just sayin...:o

Try to keep it clean too. This is a family site.:grr:

fearlessfred
04-07-2010, 06:54 PM
if the clutch is ajusted properly it will have a little bit of freeplay at the beginning of the pull that way u know its fully engaged win lever is all the way out. you need to determine if the clutch is slipping. try getting on some hard pack get moving in first shift up two gears and pin the throttle if the motor revs up [with the clutch lever all the way out] and it takes awile for the speed of the bike to catch up to the speed of the motor , its clutch time let us know how it goes

wild250rman
04-07-2010, 07:34 PM
I always adjust my clutch free play to about the thickness of a nickle between the lever and perch pivot point. do a compression test make sure there are no air leaks and check your jetting like long rod said new clutch plates and also check your clutch basket fingers for wear and the clutch actuator rod bearing . I have a ct 310 cylinder, 38 pwk carb., boyesen rad valve and a paul turner 89 race pipe and 4th gear power wheelies are no problem.power band, power curve, on the pipe, sweet spot, or how ever you want to say, it is the range at which your motor starts and stops building power and i don't drink the beer it is for marinating chicken on the grill.

mhewitt
04-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Gonna order new clutch tonite any suggestions on what to get or where to get it from? I would search but with we hrs a day working n r month old baby at home don't have much time for it. Lol thanks guys

86 Quad R
04-08-2010, 12:11 PM
EBC's or OEM. if going with EBC's i'd reccomend using the oem springs with Neils clutch mod(do a search). :cool:

mhewitt
04-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Anyone had any luck with the $50 ebay clutch kit?

86 Quad R
04-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by mhewitt
Anyone had any luck with the $50 ebay clutch kit?

who's the manu. ?

mhewitt
04-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Just says 250r clutch kit no manu. Listed

LONG-ROD
04-08-2010, 07:11 PM
make sure you soak your plates in your bottom end oil for a bit before installing them.. I would get the oem ones , i get them from discount Honda. you can order them on line.