PDA

View Full Version : after market gears

C41Xracer
04-06-2010, 02:09 PM
i know yukon is the only gear company that i know of that makes gears for the R. Are there any other companies? Also does anyone have a complete set i could borrow to look into making some, there are a ton of gear makers around here. im sure i could find someone to make them

troybilt
04-06-2010, 03:15 PM
I saw this today, not sure if they can help or not, they list the 250r.
http://metaltechproducts.com/Machining.htm

C41Xracer
04-06-2010, 04:09 PM
I need some schooling, what is an over ride tranny? If I'm reading there site correct there only modding the factory stuff for the R no gears come with it

250Renvy
04-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Can you get ahold of stock gears?

The aftermarket gears are exactly the same, just made out of a denser materieral and hardened?

If you could get a set of new gears you could probably get them made from them.

Yukons only cover 2-6 on the countershaft? There is still the mainshaft gears that could be made as well since they are done with for honda.

If you could get the major components of the transmission made, then you could salvage most of the motor through aftermarkets, especially if ESR makes cases.

C41Xracer
04-06-2010, 05:09 PM
I've got a complete motor, I didn't plan on breaking it down but I might have to now

croat1
04-06-2010, 11:15 PM
charlie: check out madmanengineering.com
they offer a wide ratio tansmission gear set for the trx250r.
also look up: cryoplus.com a good local source for us to get anything treated.

Jonas
06-19-2010, 11:36 PM
The nice thing about the Yukon gears is that they have a 1 year warranty that the OEM's don' t have.

1promodfan
06-20-2010, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by C41Xracer
I need some schooling, what is an over ride tranny? If I'm reading there site correct there only modding the factory stuff for the R no gears come with it

An over ride tranny lets you shift without using the clutch. Most guys use it for drag racing. You can gain up to a bike lenth (or more) by running an over ride. Once you let the clutch out at the starting line, all you do is hold the throttle wide open and just pull the gears.

You must come to a complete stop before down shifting, and when you're racing you don't want to "feather" the throttle. If you let off while riding you can bust everything.

Thats why a lot of Banshee guys run a dune-able over ride. It lets you unload the motor on the tranny.........somewhat.

As for the 250R tranny, I've heard rumors that someone is trying to make a billet set. Calvin Pollet almost got a set of CR500 gears in a set of 250R cases. Maybe one day he can make it work without too much trouble being involved.

rsss396
06-21-2010, 11:32 PM
overides can be downshifted while moving as long as the clutch is pulled in.
But when you let the clutch out you must be giving the motor enough throttle not to back load the gears.
the shifter forks are what get worn if you backload the gears to much.
They will take some back loading but not something you want to make a habit of.
worst case would be coasting down a big hill while in gear
pumping the throttle while racing and riding out a wheelie is not real hard on the trans.

380r
06-22-2010, 04:00 AM
as he said ....full throttle....your can ride out a wheelie or ''feather" the throttle during a drag...but when your at the end tou want to shut it down completely and cruise back to the start...strictly drag ....no good for trail...i went to the cinders in flag and it did great through trails but i was the only one riding...not something you just lend to a friend

380r
06-22-2010, 04:09 AM
as you said...wheelies and drag....at the end of a run you want to shut it down and cruise to the starting line....its set for drag...i went to the cinders in flag and it was amazing...just wanted to test it out...i know it wasnt good for the bike but i was truly impressed...override is the way to go if youre willing to sacrifice the family trail bike...up shifting on 100$$$ hill....truly impressed

C41Xracer
06-22-2010, 04:49 AM
my motor is for the woods so an override is out of the question