PDA

View Full Version : 440 start up smoke

440ex. ehhh!!
04-06-2010, 01:32 PM
just looking for a little input. its bored out to 440 and when it starts up cold, there is smoke, after a minute though it goes away. just wondering if this is normal or i need valves adjusted, maybe rings.
any info would be great.

honda400ex2003
04-06-2010, 01:37 PM
about 90% sure it is valve seals. check and see if it is smoking under hard accelerations too. steve

440ex. ehhh!!
04-06-2010, 01:38 PM
ok, thanks, i dont think it does though.

honda400ex2003
04-06-2010, 01:41 PM
for sure then get some new ones and replace them. They are about 7.50 a piece x 4 and you should be set. steve

440ex. ehhh!!
04-06-2010, 01:44 PM
sounds good. havnt been able to ride in 2 weeks, clutch cable snapping and oter problems, so once i get the parts in, i am riding this weekend, THEN i may tear it apart and change the valve seals.

and is the clutch supposed to be stiff? mine is unreal, went out thursday night and the clutch cable snapped off the lever in less the 2 minutes. it was just changed about 2 months ago too.

honda400ex2003
04-06-2010, 01:50 PM
i would say that is a bit stiff if you are breaking cables and levers. I would look into a different setup like stock springs and stock plates or stock plates and hd tusk springs or something. you must have hd springs in it now though to make it that stiff. there is no need to have it like that. :eek2: the new cable will probably help out though, it is amazing the friction that occurs in a dirty and bad one. steve

440ex. ehhh!!
04-08-2010, 07:08 PM
it turns out the only reason it was that stiff is because the cable was seized up inside. i put the new one on a few hours ago and its nowhere close to as stiff as it was before.

honda400ex2003
04-08-2010, 07:10 PM
very good to hear. steve

mineralgrey01gt
04-08-2010, 10:29 PM
damn yall's valve seals are high!!! Mine were $2.00 a piece lol

honda400ex2003
04-08-2010, 10:37 PM
from where? steve

mineralgrey01gt
04-08-2010, 10:53 PM
local place, they arent OEM honda ones but they work great. It was either $2 or $3 a piece for them. it wasnt much at all

440ex. ehhh!!
06-11-2010, 11:18 PM
ahhh damn it. i am going to have tto tear the engine apart and see what clutch setup i have. the new clutch cable snapped already!! i was on the last lap of my race tn, would of came in 3rd :@ such a piss off!!

CJM
06-12-2010, 11:13 AM
You sure the cable isnt snapping cause its melting the plastic and seizing the cable?

440ex. ehhh!!
06-12-2010, 12:32 PM
yea, thats whati was thinking on my hour and a half drive home from the race i could have won. im going to take the cable off and cut into it, see whats going on. does anyone else have a Motion Pro cable? idk if its junk or because of the heat off the engine.

TRXRacer1
06-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Steve you really paying $7.50 a piece? Full retail is $6.35, I paid $5 each.

440ex. ehhh!!
06-13-2010, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by CJM
You sure the cable isnt snapping cause its melting the plastic and seizing the cable?

yea i wish that was the problem, then i could just get some header tape and be good to go.
i took the cable off yesterday and i am able to slide it through the casing like it was brand new.
The cable snapped right where it goes into the lever, so idk if every time i pull the clutch it is bending the cable because its not rotating, or what. Because if this next cable only last 2 months or whatever it was, then i am for sure tearing it apart and seeing what clutch set up i have.

f4iracer
06-13-2010, 08:46 AM
this doesn't sound like it has anything to do with your clutch. Can you move the clutch lever that is located down on the engine and feel the resistence? With my stock spring i'm able to move it by hand. If yours moves smoothly but with some resistence than you are good.

you probably didn't have it installed on the lever correctly and it prematurely rubbed or bent on something under stress.

honda400ex2003
06-13-2010, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
Steve you really paying $7.50 a piece? Full retail is $6.35, I paid $5 each.

I just looked it up on bike bandit to get the price of them. The last set i got came with my full kit that i bought when i rebuilt. It is quite expensive either way lol. steve

440ex. ehhh!!
06-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by f4iracer
this doesn't sound like it has anything to do with your clutch. Can you move the clutch lever that is located down on the engine and feel the resistence? With my stock spring i'm able to move it by hand. If yours moves smoothly but with some resistence than you are good.

you probably didn't have it installed on the lever correctly and it prematurely rubbed or bent on something under stress.

yea, it was installed properly. and NO WAYY am i able to move the lower clutch by hand. last time i broke it, i had trouble moving it with a pair of pliers.
just hearing that you can move yours by hand makes me realize how stiff mine is, i think i should really tear it appart and see what springs i have. thanks f4iracer

Josh

PaRedneckRiders
06-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by 440ex. ehhh!!
yea, it was installed properly. and NO WAYY am i able to move the lower clutch by hand. last time i broke it, i had trouble moving it with a pair of pliers.
just hearing that you can move yours by hand makes me realize how stiff mine is, i think i should really tear it appart and see what springs i have. thanks f4iracer

Josh
I could barely move mine if i could at all and its got stock springs and clutches mine was really stiff and then my cable snaped so i put a new one on then it was like really smooth i had a hard time getting used to it

But no reason it should wear out that quick i would check out your clutch get yourself an oem clutch cable and see how it goes

I never thought of rapping the cable in header wrap thats a pretty good idea

440ex. ehhh!!
06-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by PaRedneckRiders
I could barely move mine if i could at all and its got stock springs and clutches mine was really stiff and then my cable snaped so i put a new one on then it was like really smooth i had a hard time getting used to it

But no reason it should wear out that quick i would check out your clutch get yourself an oem clutch cable and see how it goes

I never thought of rapping the cable in header wrap thats a pretty good idea

haha thanks. but i meant get header tape for the headers. that way it cools down the cable, the oil reservoir, maybe a little on the engine because hot air wont be flowing on it.
i just have no clue where to buy it. :confused: and i really should get it because i ride a 440 and don't have a spal fan, bigger oil res. or air scoops.

Josh

PaRedneckRiders
06-13-2010, 06:47 PM
o i thought u were wrapping the cable itself

440ex. ehhh!!
06-13-2010, 07:25 PM
well, i guess you could. but why not wrap the headers, it'll do the same job and more.

sc400ex_rider
06-14-2010, 07:38 AM
Get the honda seals they are the best. some of the cheap one are junk. do it right, do it once...:D

PaRedneckRiders
06-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by 440ex. ehhh!!
well, i guess you could. but why not wrap the headers, it'll do the same job and more.
ya i havent got to wrapping my headers just yet because the tape holds moisture and will prematurely rust your pipe