PDA

View Full Version : 250r engine trouble NEED HELP

JakeVeitch2007
04-06-2010, 01:00 PM
we've recently bought a newly rebuilt engine from the states, however it didn't come with the stator or flywheel so we've had to buy ricky stator ones fresh out the box and put them on ourselves. we also had to go into all the engine and replace the kick start mechanism because the guy sold it one which was slipping right at the point where you don't want it too. so the other day it was all done and we went to start it and no spark and after a while we figured out thaat it was the cdi which had gone and believe it or not, a cdi from an old chinese 4 stroke worked instead of it. :O (2 strokes neverfail to amaze hey? ha) anyway, it started and revved up slightly for about 5 minutes and seemed fine, no bangs or knock and sounded nice too just as you would expect. but then after a while we started to rev it harder and it made a clunking noise kinda like the noise it makes when you stall but it couldnt of stalled because it had no chain on so there was no pressure and it was out of gear. so we thought nothing of it but then it did it again even louder and louder and conked out. the sprocket still spins and we've had the engine apart, the piston barrel etc and all that is fine, everything looks as it should. we've even cracked the casign to look at the gears but its all getting a bit to complicated for my dad now. can anyone point us to a resource that gives detailed information about how the gears on 250r's work with diagrams etc so we can figure out whats gone wrong and does anyone have any suggestions to what the cause of the knocking and shuddering may be? any help is much appreciated. oh and i almost forgot, we dropped the oil out after 10 minutes of revving it up and it came out a horrible grey colour and it had just bin put in fresh. thank you

JakeVeitch2007
04-06-2010, 01:03 PM
you can either reply on here or send me an email Javei11@aol.com thanks

wild250rman
04-06-2010, 08:18 PM
get yourself a clymers manual they are helpful and informative. They can be picked up for around $15 to $20 dollars plus shipping i am sure there are other resources as well.

Lasher
04-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Sent you a PM on were to download the service manual.

But I have used the part diagram from service honda, or any of the other big on line dealers.

All250R
04-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Man... why don't you put a 250R CDI on it? They're not that hard to find. It's a little bizarre you haven't thought a timing curve not only for a completely different bike but for a 4stroke on top of it might cause a problem. Start with the obvious first... whew.

JakeVeitch2007
04-07-2010, 12:25 PM
yes i know, we have got the right cdi for it now, we only used the 4 stroke one for testing purposes and we werent expecting it to work but it did.

86 Quad R
04-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by JakeVeitch2007
yes i know, we have got the right cdi for it now, we only used the 4 stroke one for testing purposes and we werent expecting it to work but it did.

was the engine actually running correct? the last time i wittnessed someone trying a 4 poke cdi on a 2 smoke it appeared to hit about every other stroke. :huh

JakeVeitch2007
04-07-2010, 12:45 PM
yh thats the crazy thing, it actually was. so we turned it off and put my original one back on and it fired up again and revved up fine and we turned it off and left it for a few minutes, but then it wouldnt start up again :S i cant get my head around it it makes no sense. and nothing in the engine appears to be loose and not functioning right. any other common occurences we should look for? thanks

250rPRIDE
04-07-2010, 01:23 PM
back in day day when i was young and dumb, the beer wasnt helping much that night either! i got the bright idea to see if a 400ex cdi would work on my 250r, well my friend and i pulled it off his ex and she plugged right in!! next i checked for spark, and woohoo that plug looked like a stun-gun arcing.. ha so ya i took her out and she run better than ever for about 2-3 mins untill i had the melt down and put a 1 inch hole in the top of the piston, but i always did wonder if a guy would jet it for that much spark if it would work. the timing seemed ok.. idk!!

but check your 2 wires that go to your coil my friend had a problem like that for a year it would start when it wanted and then not took for ever to find out it was that one little hot wire that went to the coil, but yeah go over all your wiring with a fine tooth comb.. goodluck