PDA

View Full Version : First ATV 400ex

hjsmith00843
04-06-2010, 09:55 AM
http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/ac309/SmithRacing00x/

Just bought my first ATV a few days ago. So far I am very happy with it. It is a 2001 Honda 400ex. The seller says it has a 440 big bore kit on it and K&N filter with some other upgrades. I want to know if I got a good deal on it

Can I tell if it actually has the big bore kit without tearing it apart?

It runs great and no smoke and starts very easy. I paid $1000 for it. The guy needed money to bail his brother out. lol

Let me know if you see any upgrades on it that I may not have noticed. I am going to only be riding trails with it. (if I can find some)

I ordered new fenders for the front and rear. This one is painted flat black and peeling very bad.

It does need a new right front wheel and rear wheels. They wobble just a bit at top speed.

honda400ex2003
04-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Welcome to the site, looks like a nice 400. like you said some new fenders and you will be in business. let the parts start flying in. lol. it is an addiction, i suggest stopping before you start, that way it is like it never happened. oh wait you are getting fenders already too late. lol. have fun, there is a ton of good info on this site. steve

bkelley
04-06-2010, 12:28 PM
You won't be able to tell for sure without getting into it. If you can get in contact with the seller, ask him what the compression of the piston is and what all was done to it. Also if it was done by someone who knew what they were doing. If it has a high compression piston and standard studs, you could be in for some troubles. I highly suggest taking it apart and looking around. It could be a disaster waiting to happen, or a completely solid machine. If it does have a 440 kit like the seller claims, you might want to get an aftermarket exhaust to let it breathe better. Looks like a pretty good deal for $1000, though.

hjsmith00843
04-06-2010, 12:59 PM
They guy that owned it worked for Red Line Motor Sports as a mechanic. I will try to contact him and get some more information from him.

I just changed the oil/filter in it and it looked pretty new. Looks like it was well taken care of. I am now looking for another for the wife to ride. I just sold out of kart racing and I had to have a hobby.

She now wants one so we can do this hobby togather. Would like to get here something with a automatic however.

atv fan 28
04-06-2010, 09:57 PM
i would think if someone was going to do a 440 kit, they would at least do a aftermarket exhaust. either way looks like a good deal! btw. are you in the process of taking your rear end apart?