PDA

View Full Version : Government to sue Toyota...really?

TGW_400ex
04-06-2010, 08:31 AM
http://www.aolnews.com/money/article/government-is-seeking-16-million-penalty-against-toyota/19427267

ATVMX33
04-06-2010, 08:38 AM
i would call it more a fine...and they should..toyota hid the problem and it caused deaths

aDviSol2y
04-06-2010, 08:41 AM
GOOOOOOD!!! Those morons knew about it and did nothing. Could have saved lives. They should get fined more than that. Someone should go to jail for neglagent homicide!!!

dns1764
04-06-2010, 10:13 AM
$16 mil is pocket change to them.

k4f5x0r
04-06-2010, 12:42 PM
toyota might as well shred the cash that the government is going to take. Obama is gunna spend it within the first 10 minutes they get the check :ermm:

matt14c
04-06-2010, 02:03 PM
This really a good idea? Arent we as in the US borrowing money from China?

toby400ex
04-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by matt14c
This really a good idea? Arent we as in the US borrowing money from China? Ummmmmmmmmm, Toyota ain't Chinese.

jb500ex
04-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by k4f5x0r
toyota might as well shred the cash that the government is going to take. Obama is gunna spend it within the first 10 minutes they get the check :ermm: yes cause bush didnt do the same

Scro
04-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by jb500ex
yes cause bush didnt do the same

Why try to turn it into a Republican/Democrat debate? Government spending has been out of control for years. Even if he doesn't agree with you, that's not what he was implying.

aDviSol2y
04-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Why try to turn it into a Republican/Democrat debate? Government spending has been out of control for years. Even if he doesn't agree with you, that's not what he was implying.

I like you!

Canadian144
04-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by ATVMX33
i would call it more a fine...and they should..toyota hid the problem and it caused deaths

+1... though I am pretty biased since I hate Toyota haha.

tbrackman84
04-06-2010, 05:17 PM
all the people who act like toyota is some kind of evil corporation are retarded, plain and simple. They sell the best and most reliable vehicles on the market currently, and they are the BEST SELLING car company. And to say that they knew about the problem is stupid. The only reason the Goverment is going to try their hardest to ruin toyota is becasue it took over GM and GM is still sucking. Don't hate toyota because they are dominating. Anyone with a brain can realize that, but i'm sure all of you tools *****ing about toyota probably voted to obama, which explains alot.

ben300
04-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by tbrackman84
all the people who act like toyota is some kind of evil corporation are retarded, plain and simple. They sell the best and most reliable vehicles on the market currently, and they are the BEST SELLING car company. And to say that they knew about the problem is stupid. The only reason the Goverment is going to try their hardest to ruin toyota is becasue it took over GM and GM is still sucking. Don't hate toyota because they are dominating. Anyone with a brain can realize that, but i'm sure all of you tools *****ing about toyota probably voted to obama, which explains alot.

toyota sucks..plain and simple...

and if you think gm's sucks, their sales have gone up big time since toyota decided to cut quality control from the manufacturing of their overrated POS's

TGW_400ex
04-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by ben300
toyota sucks..plain and simple...

and if you think gm's sucks, their sales have gone up big time since toyota decided to cut quality control from the manufacturing of their overrated POS's

This is the dumbest post I've seen so far in this thread. Besides the gas pedal recall what has Toyota done wrong....nothing. They are one of the highest rated car manufacturers in the world thats a FACT.

250R-Dee
04-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Yes, something needs to done about quality control but some of you "haters" need to put a little more thought into this matter. %90 of the Toyotas sold in the US are built at US plants by US autoworkers. So guess who gets hurt the most by biased bickering. The autoworker building the product, the people who are dependent on the autoworker to make purchases from them, the US economy and so forth.

Why isn't the US government jumping all over the US Auto Builders who are recalling their rolling firebombs that need multiple recalls to fix the same issue? Probably because we just "GAVE" them a lot of money to payoff their millionaire executives. Yes, Toyota has produced a a product with defects but it seems like some of the politicians (media is included since the media is a tool that is used to sway popular and political opinions) are too busy trying to point the finger elsewhere so they will not get burned by their own bad deals and blatant ignorance.

Yes, something needs to done to ensure that recalls of this nature do not happen again but what will a drawn-out huffy puffy congressional hearing or lawsuit with double-talking $2000 silk suit lairs produce? More lies and more money wasting. Instead if singling out one foreign company, why not create a regulation for all companies domestic and foreign who have a desire to sell their death traps in the land of apple pie, unsupported biased opinions and frivolous lawsuits?

Here's food for thought for some of you "Imports suck guys ( just change "import" to whatever brand name makes your Willy whirl )". While GM and Ford are building plants in Canada, Mexico and anywhere they can find labor cheaper than in the US, the import companies (Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Mercedes Benz and so forth) are building plants throughout the US. Did I miss something there? Buy american but support the economy of the Canada, Mexico or some 4th world country that doesn't have running water!

Oh so you'll know! I am not fond of newer Toyotas. I love the older Yotas like:. TE27 Corolla, 2000GT, 240Z/260Z/280Z, MZ20 Soarer, SW20 MR2 and so on.

I l guess I am muscle-head because I love old cars. Fords with real motors (351C, 356, 427,428,429, 460). Chevy muscle cars, Pontiac muscle cars (RIP Pontiac), anything with a boxer motor and last but not least... HONDA. Many of you need to peel off the blinders so you can REALIZE that the big picture is bigger than you.

I am currently waiting to see what happens with the investigation involving the most recent theatrical brake failure. The driver had the sense to call 911 but didn't have enough brain power to throw the vehicle into NEUTRAL after the 911 operator instructed him to do so several times. I smell a RAT!!

Tommy Warren
04-06-2010, 09:11 PM
^^^^ excellent post!! plus it was a prius.....even if it was wide open he could have just jumped out and walked beside it:devil:

CJM
04-06-2010, 09:16 PM
250R-Dee I couldnt have said it better myself, good job and good post!

TGW_400ex
04-06-2010, 09:23 PM
250r-Dee that exactly how I feel. Toyota needs to fix this but they will bounce back on their own unlike GM and Chrysler. I don't really even have a problem with either company it just seems so hypocritical of our government.

trx310R#24
04-06-2010, 09:46 PM
16 million? really... thats nothing! to them thats like $16 =p

quadrcr161
04-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by CJM
250R-Dee I couldnt have said it better myself, good job and good post!

agreed, plus GM had a recall during this toyota attack but noone heard about it.

what about the maypop tires, if im not mistaken those caused more deaths and damages but i dout most here dont remember that. the toyota could be stopped by shifting into neutral or killing the power, but the people cant handle driving now days. pointing the car in the general direction isnt having control of the vehicle.

imo ill never buy another gm product, ill try a kia, hell its made here in Montgomery by people ive met.

SRH
04-06-2010, 09:58 PM
toyota shouldnt have to pay a govt fine, i however think toyota should replace any damages from this and offer driver training...because people that dont know how to stop a runaway car shouldnt be behind the wheel...

if toyota is getting sued, then the drivers should be charged with wreckless driving

trx310R#24
04-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by SRH
toyota shouldnt have to pay a govt fine, i however think toyota should replace any damages from this and offer driver training...because people that dont know how to stop a runaway car shouldnt be behind the wheel...

if toyota is getting sued, then the drivers should be charged with wreckless driving

if you have a newer car hold in the gas on the highway and try to stop your car. =p (with out breaks) you cant turn the key off cuz it will not turn off. and the shifter will not work..

TGW_400ex
04-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by trx310R#24
if you have a newer car hold in the gas on the highway and try to stop your car. =p (with out breaks) you cant turn the key off cuz it will not turn off. and the shifter will not work..

Yes it does. Maybe you should take a driving course.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lZ4PtafRB9c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lZ4PtafRB9c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

SRH
04-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by trx310R#24

not true, check the other thread for some videos.... breaks still work and it kills the engine when you shift into neutral

250R-Dee
04-06-2010, 10:16 PM
If you are not on a long straight piece of road, turning off the car is not an option because the steering will lock. I know some of you have seen the video of the WRX that being towed by rope with the steering locked. Body work was needed after the towed vehicle veered off of the road..... hahahaha

Shifting into neutral will save your life but may kill the engine since it will be bouncing off of the rev limiter like a Banshee on crack!

quadrcr161
04-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by TGW_400ex
Yes it does. Maybe you should take a driving course.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lZ4PtafRB9c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lZ4PtafRB9c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

hahahahaha i love it...

derekhonda
04-06-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm still under the notion that the government is trying to revive domestic sale (domestic meaning companies that when profit taking happens, the money stays in this country) via throwing a competetor under the bus. Sure, these select toyotas do have problems, and toyota should have fixed it instead of sweeping it under the rug, shame on them.

But (and this is a question) how much did the government get involved in the Ford Exploders of the late 90's. Remember all the problems they had and then firestone tires caused numerous numerous numerous roll overs! What about the pinto's and the exploding gas tanks. Where was the almighty government then? Did they sue back then? Or now that they have an invested interest in GM via the bailouts, does it just make more sense now?

SRH
04-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by 250R-Dee
If you are not on a long straight piece of road, turning off the car is not an option because the steering will lock. I know some of you have seen the video of the WRX that being towed by rope with the steering locked. Body work was needed after the towed vehicle veered off of the road..... hahahaha

Shifting into neutral will save your life but may kill the engine since it will be bouncing off of the rev limiter like a Banshee on crack!

watch the videos, it kills the engine if u shift to neutral...and if u hold the start button down, it shuts the engine off, either way the brakes still work

250R-Dee
04-06-2010, 10:28 PM
bwahahahha.... that video was awesome!

My co-workers think I am going crazy because I was laughing so hard!!

250R-Dee
04-06-2010, 10:29 PM
SRH - I have a car that requires a key to start it so I was going off of "key start" technology. hahahaha

SRH
04-06-2010, 10:31 PM
my old ford ranger was as primitive as it gets these days and u could turn the engine off with the key without locking the steering

TGW_400ex
04-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by SRH
my old ford ranger was as primitive as it gets these days and u could turn the engine off with the key without locking the steering

Plus you can kick the key back forward...

250R-Dee
04-06-2010, 10:37 PM
I am still laughing at the video!!

SRH - the steering locking is moot for this situation but the steering of some cars will engage the lock mechanism as soon as the key is turned to the "off" position. The key has to be removed on my STi and Honda to engage the lock mechanism.

Anyway, we do agree on the NEUTRAL gear solution for an over-revving vehicle.

I guess they should supply the Electric cars with an emergency anchor or Green parachute or trunk monkey to slap the taste ootta the owners mouths when they forget how to find NEUTRAL! :D

SRH
04-06-2010, 10:53 PM
jam that ****er into reverse hahaha i mean your not going to have a tranny but your not exactly going to die if your tranny is done

tbrackman84
04-06-2010, 11:31 PM
i just can't believe some people can't see that this is being blown out of proportion and that toyota is taking care of it. and who ever said this was right but they will bounce right back on their own. I drive a 92 CHevy s10, and i love that old beast, but i'l tel you that when i'm out of college,im buying some kind of toyota, because they are freakin' awesome!

250R-Dee
04-06-2010, 11:42 PM
The problem is too many people wold rather jump on the band wagon that making their own conclusion about this situation.

Ponder this: Suddenly the US beef imports into Japan talks have re-opened. The timing is awfully suspicious!

OzLinc
04-07-2010, 12:29 AM
I've long thought it suspecious that the US Gov went after Toyota when they effectively own the competition (GM) .

Just another "conspiracy theory" bit to throw on the fire of debate.

The Chineese have sold their US debt to Japan.

bradley300
04-07-2010, 07:06 AM
if i were toyota i would refuse to pay it. if honda fined them for the same issue would they pay it? they would laugh. thats essentially what is happening here, a major competitor is trying to extort money from toyota. now the the government owns GM, it has no business regulating any part of the auto market. trials and judgements need to come from impartial courts.the government owning GM and fining toyota is a huge conflict of interest

Mxjunkie
04-07-2010, 07:43 AM
One thing I never understood about the toyota prius now correct me if I'm wrong but..

You have a heavy little car loaded with batteries and what have you, with little 14inch wheels and brakes that could be compared to a gokart, how is that safe as well?? :ermm:

rundrave
04-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
One thing I never understood about the toyota prius now correct me if I'm wrong but..

You have a heavy little car loaded with batteries and what have you, with little 14inch wheels and brakes that could be compared to a gokart, how is that safe as well?? :ermm:

there is only one battery, its not heavy at all it weighs just under 100lbs

the brakes are entirely different than disk brakes on other vehicles. the prius uses a regenerative braking system to slow the car down

the regenerative braking system actually uses an electric motor as the main component, not a hydraulic brake system (pads, rotors, drums), and does not wear out

there seems to be a lot of un-educated people out there, with a biased opinion towards toyota. if you only did a little research and didnt listen to the media you would be a lot smarter

aDviSol2y
04-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by derekhonda
I'm still under the notion that the government is trying to revive domestic sale (domestic meaning companies that when profit taking happens, the money stays in this country) via throwing a competetor under the bus. Sure, these select toyotas do have problems, and toyota should have fixed it instead of sweeping it under the rug, shame on them.

But (and this is a question) how much did the government get involved in the Ford Exploders of the late 90's. Remember all the problems they had and then firestone tires caused numerous numerous numerous roll overs! What about the pinto's and the exploding gas tanks. Where was the almighty government then? Did they sue back then? Or now that they have an invested interest in GM via the bailouts, does it just make more sense now?

Your comparing apples to oranges. The reason for Toyota getting fined is because the hid the fact that they knew about the problem for months. Leading to crashes, and even deaths. These could have been avoided if Toyota fixed the problem when they should have. I know people died in the Ford fiasco, but did Ford hide the fact that they knew about the problem for months?

derekhonda
04-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Right, and ford fixed the problem and disclosed it right after the first accident.

Bottom line, both companies produced vehicles that people ultimately ended up dying in. One got sued.

extremeblastr
04-07-2010, 11:19 AM
oh and for those of you who don't do much magazine reading multiple magazines have done tests now to see if the brake can really override the power of full accelleration and stop the car and as it turns out it DOES even in some of the highest horsepower production cars.

tbrackman84
04-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by aDviSol2y
Your comparing apples to oranges. The reason for Toyota getting fined is because the hid the fact that they knew about the problem for months. Leading to crashes, and even deaths. These could have been avoided if Toyota fixed the problem when they should have. I know people died in the Ford fiasco, but did Ford hide the fact that they knew about the problem for months?

Toyota didnt't know they had a problem with the pedals sticking, to say that is just ignorant. My dad had a 98 Toyota tacoma, it had 285, 000 miles on it. He got a letter for a recall becasue he frames were rotting out, so we go out and look at the frame, there it is, a small hole rusting away on the main part of the frame. Toyota gives my dad 115% of what KBB values the truck at. Toyota is a real auto company and doesnt d!ck around with problems, so don't act stupid

Sjorge450R
04-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Toyota didnt't know they had a problem with the pedals sticking, to say that is just ignorant. My dad had a 98 Toyota tacoma, it had 285, 000 miles on it. He got a letter for a recall becasue he frames were rotting out, so we go out and look at the frame, there it is, a small hole rusting away on the main part of the frame. Toyota gives my dad 115% of what KBB values the truck at. Toyota is a real auto company and doesnt d!ck around with problems, so don't act stupid

I am almost 100% sure that they have stated that the knew the fix, didnt solve the problem.

hondariderdylan
04-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
oh and for those of you who don't do much magazine reading multiple magazines have done tests now to see if the brake can really override the power of full accelleration and stop the car and as it turns out it DOES even in some of the highest horsepower production cars.

i think it was car and driver.

I read that article several times. They did it with a camry, an infinity convertible, and a roush stage 3 mustang. they all stopped from 60 within a few hundred feet and the roush stopped from 100 in just over 900 feet.
If a 500 horsepower, rear drive car can stop eventually under full throttle im pretty sure a prius with it "regenerative braking" crap could do it aswell. just my 2 cents.

hotrodhonda400
04-08-2010, 04:41 PM
GOOOOOOD!!! Those morons knew about it and did nothing. Could have saved lives. They should get fined more than that. Someone should go to jail for neglagent homicide!!!

I second that ! !;)

tbrackman84
04-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by hotrodhonda400
I second that ! !;)

douche bags and democrats everwhere, its funny, they seem to go hand in hand?!

quadrcr161
04-09-2010, 08:24 AM
If the gov. can PROVE without a dout then i would agree something needs to be done.

1. toyota was hiding information and not doing research:

with a claim like this they needed to see if it was a real problem, what cars and areas this involved, how big of an issue this is, what caused this to happen in the first place and how to approach it. if they ran to the media or it got out then people would be making false claims and messing up the research into the problem, like the idiot in cali with the prius.

2. without a dout that the fault was the actual cause of the accident/death, and no other forces could have contributed to it such as driver error, panic ect..ect...

this is just like the people sueing yamaha because the rino, driven by a minor or a drunk, over the machines reccomended ability, killed someone.

hotrodhonda400
04-09-2010, 09:30 AM
douche bags and democrats everwhere, its funny, they seem to go hand in hand?! So are you calling me Democrat or douche bag I'm confused :confused: :rolleyes: sorry I have an opinion as you clearly have one to I'm not stooping to name calling ...

aDviSol2y
04-09-2010, 01:38 PM
douche bags and democrats everwhere, its funny, they seem to go hand in hand?!

Your a real genius...... :ermm:

aDviSol2y
04-09-2010, 01:42 PM

Another genius comment.... :ermm:

Do your homework before you start bad mouthing people.

http://www.aolnews.com/money/article/government-is-seeking-16-million-penalty-against-toyota/19427267

quadrcr161
04-09-2010, 01:54 PM
GM recall posted march 2010

http://autos.aol.com/article/cadillac-cts-brake-recall/

GM truck brake problems could affect 6 mill trucks posted today

http://www.digitalnewsreport.com/2010/04/09-gm-brake-problem-being-investigated-by-nhtsa-after-receiving-110-consumer-complaints/3956

why isnt someone attacking GM about these? this was just a quick search.

if someone cant controll a car what do you think will happen in a truck that has no brakes? what is they are towing something.

hotrodhonda400
04-09-2010, 01:56 PM
so this guy(tbrackman84 ) is bragging that his DADS truck was rotting away and toyota gave him more than its worth.... **** usually does not bring much money so ANYTHING was more than it was worth. and your right they don't dick around with problems they cover them up :rolleyes: :p

rundrave
04-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by hotrodhonda400
so this guy(tbrackman84 ) is bragging that his DADS truck was rotting away and toyota gave him more than its worth.... **** usually does not bring much money so ANYTHING was more than it was worth. and your right they don't dick around with problems they cover them up :rolleyes: :p
WRONG!
wow some of you guys couldnt be further from the truth....

That frame deal wasnt even a recall it was an example of the commitment to their customers. It covered trucks from 1995 to 2000. and it was a very small number of trucks that were even reported.

Toyota received reports that on a small number of Tacoma frames may develop corrosion that goes beyond the normal surface rust that’s commonly found on metal after years of exposure.

All Toyota did was extend the rust-perforation warranty covering these trucks for a period of 15 years from each vehicle’s original date of purchase, with no mileage limitation. If the truck met the criteria Toyota gave you 150% value of truck.

It is proof about Toyota that nobody stands behind their product like they do. The big 3 would have been out of bussiness years ago it they offered this type of commitment

quadrcr161
04-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by rundrave
WRONG!

That frame deal wasnt even a recall it was an example of the commitment to their customers. It covered trucks from 1995 to 2000. and it was a very small number of trucks that were even reported.

Toyota received reports that on a small number of Tacoma frames may develop corrosion that goes beyond the normal surface rust that’s commonly found on metal after years of exposure.

All Toyota did was extend the rust-perforation warranty covering these trucks for a period of 15 years from each vehicle’s original date of purchase, with no mileage limitation. If the truck met the criteria Toyota gave you 150% value of truck.

It is proof about Toyota that nobody stands behind their product like they do. The big 3 would have been out of bussiness years ago it they offered this type of commitment

correct, i believe it was also most northern trucks that had the frame issue. also look at used tacoma prices compaired to gm/ford/dodge prices. toyota is known for quality.

tbrackman84
04-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by rundrave
WRONG!

thanks, i couldn't remember exactly.

tbrackman84
04-09-2010, 11:14 PM
hotrodhonda is probably on of these people that think its bad to buy foreign vehicles, lol. IDK just making an assumption, so don't start crying again.

tbrackman84
04-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Another genius comment.... :ermm:

Do your homework before you start bad mouthing people.

don't be upset cause im making fun of democrats. and thats one source that i dont hardly trust, you really shouldnt get all your information from AOL news.... lol

hotrodhonda400
04-10-2010, 06:19 AM
hotrodhonda is probably on of these people that think its bad to buy foreign vehicles, lol. IDK just making an assumption, so don't start crying again.

Yup , no tears here :cool:

<DRS>GPF
04-14-2010, 03:07 PM
toyota simulator (http://www.toyotasimulator.com/) :eek2:

TGW_400ex
04-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
toyota simulator (http://www.toyotasimulator.com/) :eek2: ]]

Yay repost!