PDA

View Full Version : i want to change my oil cooler? i need no no how much pressure? and if it will work ?

2004400ex
04-06-2010, 08:04 AM
i have a cooler that will fit my 400ex but i have to find a spot to mount it but that is not the problem. i was gonna cut the lines and flare the ends and double clamp and inlet hose and the outlet hose to the cooler. will it work? an how hot dose the oil get i was gonna use high pressure fuel injection line.

honda400ex2003
04-06-2010, 11:36 AM
I am not sure on the hoses but the oil will get around 200-250 in the tank so it will be hotter coming into the cooler for sure. sorry i cant help any more than that, there are a few good threads about coolers and such on here. What is the cooler off of? It may be easier to get one with the same type of ends on it then you can just use the stock lines. Most guys mount them above or below the other one. I would take below to get more air across it. steve

ds268
04-06-2010, 01:42 PM
You can check out my post on my cooler install. Even tho it may not be exactly what you are doing, it works very well and uses regular fuel line. No need for high pressure line here, oil pressure isn't high at all and the lines will withstand hot oil no prob. Good luck!

rcatvrider
04-06-2010, 01:55 PM
I saw your thread and it was interesting. I am curious as to exactly how much psi of oil pressure are we talking here? Would a couple hose clamps with fuel line do? I would like to upgrade the oil cooler but if I need to get custom lines made I'm not so enthusiastic.

ds268
04-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Regular hose clamps work just fine. The ends of the cooler lines are flaired enough there is no worry. I would guesstimate 25-30psi max but that's "on the high side" guess. My system has been on there a long while now and I ride it almost every weekend and there is NO seepage what-so-ever on any of the hose seems.

You'll be looking at 50 buck plus for custom lines IF you can find the right fittings but I highly doubt you'll be able to find something that will be compatible with the factory fittings. If you so opt for custom, your best bet will be to tap your own fittings.

Wheelie
04-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Install a SPAL fan on the stock cooler. It looks much cleaner, easier to install and does a better job of cooling IMO.

atc200m
04-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by ds268
Regular hose clamps work just fine. The ends of the cooler lines are flaired enough there is no worry. I would guesstimate 25-30psi max but that's "on the high side" guess. My system has been on there a long while now and I ride it almost every weekend and there is NO seepage what-so-ever on any of the hose seems.

You'll be looking at 50 buck plus for custom lines IF you can find the right fittings but I highly doubt you'll be able to find something that will be compatible with the factory fittings. If you so opt for custom, your best bet will be to tap your own fittings.
couldnt you just cut the clamps of the old hoses and slide the fitting in the new hose thenput the hose clamp where the old fitting used to be