PDA

View Full Version : can't get cases together

sangheraent
04-05-2010, 08:42 PM
hey all iv been trying to put my engine cases back together and I can't seem to get them past a certain point. it feels like its sticking somewhere but everything is lined up perfectly i wiggled aorund my gears and still nothing tried for like an hour.

is there some sort of trick to this or is it suppose to be super hard?

morse250r
04-05-2010, 09:06 PM
need the honda puller to get it back together

sangheraent
04-05-2010, 09:17 PM
oh theres a special tool needed to put it together?

Rich250RRacer
04-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by sangheraent
oh theres a special tool needed to put it together?

Yes there is.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee108/rich250rracer/motor%20rebuild/mot15.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee108/rich250rracer/motor%20rebuild/mot16.jpg

sangheraent
04-05-2010, 10:14 PM
well iv got the crank seated in the case. I just cant get the other side case on it goes about an inch and then it seems like it sits on something. I think it may be the shorter gear shaft but Im not too sure.

All250R
04-07-2010, 11:07 AM
well iv got the crank seated in the case. I just cant get the other side case on it goes about an inch and then it seems like it sits on something. I think it may be the shorter gear shaft but Im not too sure.
If you have an OEM crank bottom, you don't need a tool to assemble the cases. So if you do use a tool, you're potentially going to break something. The OEM crank is a slip fit into the right main bearing - it's secured with a bolt, not a tolerance fit. You could view the OEM cranks as the "correct" part for this engine from that perspective, but that's a different point.

The cases slip together pretty easily usually. Check your dowel alignment, but often times it's the trans shafts having a tight fit into the bearings is where you might have to gently massage them into place - but don't ever force them with a tool. If the trans shafts being a little snug in the bearings is not your problem you assembled something else incorrectly, or you're not using an OEM crank bottom, and at that point you'll have to take your pick which one is the hold up.

morse250r
04-07-2010, 12:21 PM
ive had oem cases and cracks not go in with out the tool

86 Quad R
04-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by morse250r
ive had oem cases and cracks not go in with out the tool

every one that i've assembled(oem crank or other) has been without a tool aswell. if you can determine if its something in the tranny area, you may opt to lay the engine on its side to help line things up a bit better. if you are getting a tighter than normal fit of the crank to bearing, you can slightly heat up the inner race of the crank bearing with a propane torch. this works very well. :cool:

Langbolt
04-08-2010, 10:33 AM
I've always left the Crank in the FREEZER for a few days and then WARMED the bearing with a heatgun......Drops right in!

Where do you get this TOOL from ?

Is it a HONDA specialty tool

:devil:

312R1
04-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Langbolt

I bought mine from Honda, I'm not sure if you can get it elsewhere.

-Steve

Rich250RRacer
04-08-2010, 05:49 PM
I've always left the Crank in the FREEZER for a few days and then WARMED the bearing with a heatgun......Drops right in!

It's Honda only and the part numbers are in the OEM service manual. It's sold in three pieces.

Langbolt
04-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the info..... :D

Is that the one on page 8-8 ?

Driveshaft dis/Assembly tool (B) 07964-MB00200

Assembly bolt 07965-1660200

Where's the third part ? :(

All250R
04-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the info..... :D

Is that the one on page 8-8 ?

Driveshaft dis/Assembly tool (B) 07964-MB00200

Assembly bolt 07965-1660200

Where's the third part ? :(
Everyone is trying to help, and that's great. You need to understand that you do not need a case assembly tool if you're installing with an OEM crank. There is a crank assembly tool to install the crank, but not for the case halves themselves. If you can state what type of crank you're installing that would start to make your situation a little more clear. If not, you're not getting advice for your specific problem yet.

sangheraent
04-12-2010, 11:52 AM
im putting together a stock crank with stock cases. I got my crank in with no issues at all but my cases are definetly hitting something. I give it a bunch of light taps with the mallet and still no movement i got the motor on its side too. I agree you dont need a tool to put it together mines just being a *****.

All250R
04-13-2010, 12:37 PM
im putting together a stock crank with stock cases. I got my crank in with no issues at all but my cases are definetly hitting something. I give it a bunch of light taps with the mallet and still no movement i got the motor on its side too. I agree you dont need a tool to put it together mines just being a *****.
Find out where it's binding and that will solve your problem. You may want to take your trans shafts and see if they'll slide into each case independently to see if that's your issue - just as a place to start.

Langbolt
04-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Did the Mainshaft and Outpu shaft go into the Left case ok ?

If there's a gear that's not quite located right it'll pose an issue...

I'm thinking maybe when you're attaching the Right side that it's hitting the Shift drum ???

Or is that passing through the bearing fine ?

You can check this by removing the shift drum and try insert it into the Bearing in the Right case.....if it doesn't slip in all the way ...there's your problem.

Are your Shift fork Pegs in all the way ?

Pull them out and make sure the holes aren't full of OIL.....that'll stop them from going all the way down.

Keep us posted